• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Nomie tracking app

bspg

Plant Queen
I've been using an app called Nomie to track my symptoms for ~3 months now and I'm really impressed with it. I didn't see any other info posted on PR about it so I thought I'd share.

**Note**
Nomie is built for tracking whatever you want but for simplicity I'm going to talk about it in the context of tracking symptoms. Also, for the sake of transparency, I am in no way affiliated with Nomie, it's trademark, or Owner. This is my own personal review/experience and I'm not receiving anything for sharing it.

Screenshot_20170610-121201~01.png

At it's core, Nomie is a way to input data and see and compare data over time. I like it more than other tracking apps because it's more detailed and customizable. It allows you to track multiple symptoms, track the severity of each symptom (number or sliding scale), and rate how positive or negative the impact of each symptom is. You can also attach notes and location data to each symptom when you track it.

After using it for awhile, you can begin to see your well-being over time and even monitor individual symptoms (these are all my own screenshots).

Screenshot_20170610-121929~01.png

Screenshot_20170610-125534~01.png

Screenshot_20170610-125544~01.png

Something I think is particularly awesome: you can also look for correlations between anything that you track. You can compare specific parameters together or choose a random parameter and look for a correlation. I find this to be extremely useful as I can see how activities, medications, and diet correlate with my symptoms or even how my symptoms correlate together.

As an example, while doing random comparisons last night, I discovered a strange correlation between lymph node pain and taking my daily meds. Not sure what it means but I definitely wouldn't have made that correlation without the app.

Screenshot_20170609-204220~01.png

I will say that while I think this app is amazing, it definitely has a bit of a learning curve and there are a few things that drive me crazy. My biggest complaint is that trying to input data for a previous day is a nightmare and should be much , much easier than it is! Also, it has a couple bugs (Android 7.1) but they are small and can be fixed by closing and reopening the app.

As of right now, I can only find the app for Android OS. All the links I found for an Apple version were broken :/

**EDIT: Click here and scroll down for other OS versions! https://nomie.io

Both Nomie and Nomie 2 (pro version?) are free in the Google Play store. I only have experience using Nomie so I'm not sure how Nomie 2 is different.

That's it! I'm happy to answer questions about my experience with it if anyone is curious. I'm pondering making an instructional video on how to set it up and use it, if anyone would find that helpful.

Last edited:

Basilico

Florida
This looks like a super cool app. I'm a data junky, and my husband often teases me because I love to keep track of things in spreadsheets (symptoms, expenses, etc...).

With this app, I really like the ability to look for correlations between seemingly unrelated things. I don't have an Android device, so I guess I will have to wait for it to be available on other platforms :(

bspg

Plant Queen
I forgot to mention:

• There are pre-made trackers available on the "market" tab (free). These can be a useful way to start tracking and familiarize yourself with the app.
  • You can backup your data to Dropbox as often as you like and/or export the data as a CSV file.
  • You can set reminders within the app.

Something I think is particularly awesome: you can also look for correlations between anything that you track. You can compare specific parameters together or choose a random parameter and look for a correlation. I find this to be extremely useful as I can see how activities, medications, and diet correlate with my symptoms or even how my symptoms correlate together.
Even more awesome would be if the app would make the correlation itself but I realise that's a lot to ask.
If you have a lot of parameters there are endless comparisons to make so it will be easy to miss some if you have to make them yourself.

I haven't looked very closely to the app yet but a nice feature would be if environmental parameters would be automatically stored like temperature, humidity, air pressure and pollution so that you can compare them with your symptoms.

Both Nomie and Nomie 2 (pro version?) are free in the Google Play store. I only have experience using Nomie so I'm not sure how Nomie 2 is different.
At first glance I don't see much differences, maybe Nomie 2 is the successor of Nomie, on their website they automatically point you to Nomie 2:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=io.nomie.pro&hl=en

Looks like a nice app.

Basilico

Florida
@Basilico did you ever download the app? If so, what do you think?

I haven't - I actually completely forgot about it (like usual).

The only thing that is really holding me back is that I generally try to avoid anything that has the ability to capture sensitive information about me (health, financial, etc...) in connection with the internet because that stuff can be hacked or sold so easily and without me ever knowing. Obviously, I have to make some exceptions sometimes.

So, for the time being, I will probably stick to spreadsheets that I make myself (while wi-fi is disabled). I do think this app is a great idea, so maybe at some point I'll reconsider or use some kind of code that isn't obvious to someone else. Thank you for the reminder!

bspg

Plant Queen
I haven't looked very closely to the app yet but a nice feature would be if environmental parameters would be automatically stored like temperature, humidity, air pressure and pollution so that you can compare them with your symptoms.

I agree, this would be nice. It does have the option to track location but I've never used it.