• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mast cell med effect on ME symptoms?

Ravn

Anyone out there with a dual diagnosis of a mast cell disorder plus ME who has tried mast cell medication? If so, did the mast cell medication also help ME symptoms? Especially PEM?

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit

Ravn

Thanks Snowdrop. I did have a look at those threads and there's a lot of info there on MCAS and meds, as you say. And it confirms my personal experience that mast cell meds can be helpful for the classic 'allergy-like' mast cell symptoms: in my case my party trick dermatographia has vanished, and flushing after eating is much reduced.

However, so far I've seen no improvement whatsoever in my classic ME symptoms like the PEM. So am wondering if anybody out there has found their PEM improve as a kind of bonus effect of mast cell meds?

ryan31337

When I have MCAS-like reactions from food I tend to get fatigue with and after the flare event. Its subtly different to PEM and has different physical components. Its hard to tell apart unless you are very strict when experimenting on yourself and can isolate, so for many I would think the two would feel inseparable...

Point being its a big mess of problems and symptoms and if you were to help MCAS with meds your overall experience would definitely improve.

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
Thanks Snowdrop. I did have a look at those threads and there's a lot of info there on MCAS and meds, as you say. And it confirms my personal experience that mast cell meds can be helpful for the classic 'allergy-like' mast cell symptoms: in my case my party trick dermatographia has vanished, and flushing after eating is much reduced.

However, so far I've seen no improvement whatsoever in my classic ME symptoms like the PEM. So am wondering if anybody out there has found their PEM improve as a kind of bonus effect of mast cell meds?

You might want to contact @Gingergrrl as I believe she takes meds for MCAS.