• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Need help if you're sitting most of the day

Dechi

Hello,

I am not bedridden and I usually sit a good 10-12 hours per day, and I don't move a lot. Many days I don't go out of the house at all. As a result, I am having increasing back pain. Also pain in the arms and shoulders, but those mostly come and go because I get treated for it.

I get massotherapy sessions sometimes to help relax the muscles in my back and shoulders, and when the pain gets too much and steady, I get treated by a sports therapist. It hurts but it works. I don't know if being treated for my back would help that much, because it's a postural problem. And also I am running out of money for treatment.

But for the back pain, other than throwing away the stupid couch, which I can't afford to do, is there anything that helps you ? Maybe some type of vibrating device, or other ?

I guess there's not much to do except move more, but I guess I am hoping for some special magic trick ! ;-)

halcyon

Those are the main muscles affected in ME. I don't think there much you can do about it. I believe it's due to the rapid muscle weakness, being upright just puts a strain on those muscles and they wear out fast. I think laying down is the only way to avoid it.

jeLwhEI.png

Gondwanaland

I am not bedridden and I usually sit a good 10-12 hours per day, and I don't move a lot. Many days I don't go out of the house at all. As a result, I am having increasing back pain.
Me too, my pains increase when I don't get out. I wish I had the disposition to get out even when I don't have to... If I stay at home for, say, 3 days in a row, I get in really bad shape which improves by at least 75% by getting out and spending a few hours elsewhere. Sounds like the solution, doesn't it? :rolleyes:

Fraid I got the same problem and no solutions, but I intended to look into muscle strengthening exercises assuming they exist. Other than that just eating high protein to counter muscle atrophy. I actually get the worst pain after lying down (sleeping) for over 8 hours.

Basilico

Florida
Yes, I have something that has helped a lot, and it's pretty cheap - a firm foam roller. This is one of my chiropractor's favorite tools. Mine looks like this one: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00XM2MRGI

You put the foam roller on the ground, and lay on it so that your head is resting on one end, it is supporting you down the length of your spine, and terminates somewhere just past the tailbone. Put your arms straight out so that the backs of your hands are resting on the ground.

Hold this position for about 30 seconds and repeat it a few times per day. The photo on this website has a good visual: https://thebalancedlifeonline.com/5-foam-roller-exercises-to-relieve-shoulder-tension/

I have also found that gentle yoga has made a huge improvement in my back/shoulder pain. There are lots of basic instructional videos on youtube, maybe this could help?

Marigold7

A small well wrapped ( baby size) hot water bottle helps as do well placed pillows. And a firm mattress. You can put a board under a mattress and that helps. At one place I slept on the floor.

Dechi

A small well wrapped ( baby size) hot water bottle helps as do well placed pillows. And a firm mattress. You can put a board under a mattress and that helps. At one place I slept on the floor.

Yes, firm mattress is a must. Fortunately I got a new one about 3 years ago. Maybe I'll try a wrapped towel foe the coach, or try to find better cushions.

Dechi

Those are the main muscles affected in ME. I don't think there much you can do about it. I believe it's due to the rapid muscle weakness, being upright just puts a strain on those muscles and they wear out fast. I think laying down is the only way to avoid it.

jeLwhEI.png
@halcyon Do you mean I should leave the couch every few hours and go lie down on my bed for a few minutes ? For the purpose of stretching my back I suppose ?

halcyon

@halcyon Do you mean I should leave the couch every few hours and go lie down on my bed for a few minutes ? For the purpose of stretching my back I suppose ?
Yeah, you may not want to be upright for as long as you are now. I found a zero gravity chair like this was helpful to get through times when I didn't want to be in bed but sitting in a normal chair caused too much pain/weakness. They're not perfectly comfortable but they're way cheaper than the real upholstered kinds.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
@Dechi My physical therapist has given me some strategies for this that help a lot and are static, rather than dynamic. One is lying on a Pro Roller soft. She gets them and sells them at a discount. I lie on my back on a carpet with the roller under my spine and head. After 15 - 20 minutes, gravity seems to relieve a lot of the stresses of sitting.

Edit: I see Basilico and I posted about the same thing!
919587292__400x400__.jpg

Last edited:

Dechi

Yeah, you may not want to be upright for as long as you are now. I found a zero gravity chair like this was helpful to get through times when I didn't want to be in bed but sitting in a normal chair caused too much pain/weakness. They're not perfectly comfortable but they're way cheaper than the real upholstered kinds.

Those chairs are so comfortable ! I have this exact same one for my deck outside. Maybe if I found a smaller one, I don't really have much space. i'll look on Amazon.

@taniaaust1 I'll try laying on my bed a few times a day to break the sitting time.

@Sushi do you just rest on it or do you roll it under you ? I remember when I used to train and rolled it on my back muscles it was quite painful. I suppose you get used to it.

Sushi

@Sushi do you just rest on it or do you roll it under you ? I remember when I used to train and rolled it on my back muscles it was quite painful. I suppose you get used to it.
Basically, you just lie on it with your arms to the side. It opens the chest and lets the back and hip muscles normalize with gravity. My PT prefers the softer one (it is still very firm) and it is long enough to support my entire spine and head. I also do use it to "roll-out" spasmy muscles.

Dechi

Basically, you just lie on it with your arms to the side. It opens the chest and lets the back and hip muscles normalize with gravity. My PT prefers the softer one (it is still very firm) and it is long enough to support my entire spine and head. I also do use it to "roll-out" spasmy muscles.

Ok, I see. I'm getting one tomorrow, can't wait ! My back is killing me.

@Sushi do you mean the roller is positioned vertically and not horizontally ?

Sushi

@Sushi do you mean the roller is positioned vertically and not horizontally ?
Yes, vertically--in other words, all along the length of my spine, neck and head. You can also use it horizontally to roll out painful areas but simply lying on it with my shoulders, arms and hips hanging over the edge just stretches everything out. It is a bit boring though to lie there for 15 -20 minutes but it has helped a lot. Basically you can use it a lot of ways. I get spasms in the front of my thighs and so I lie on it face down and roll on my thighs--that stretches things out and stops the spasms.

Basilico

Florida
@Dechi , how @Sushi and I use the foam roller is different from how gym trainers typically use them (or how my trainer had me use them to roll out sore muscles, which sounds similar to how you used it, too). It almost seems counterintuitive, but it really does feel good on the spine, and opens up the chest which tends to get really tight and pull the shoulders forward in a hunch. I think you'll like it - I'm excited to hear that you're going to get one, let us know if it helps.

gabriella17

@Dechi Aside from your shoulders, where specifically in your back do you have pain? And what sort of pain is it - general ache, or does it feel like "knots"?

Here are some ideas:

Miracle Balls - the kit contains 2 balls and the instruction book.

TENS unit. My personal favorite! I could use them for hours!

Tennis ball - if I have a knot in the area of my shoulder blades, I stand against the wall and put a tennis ball between my back and the wall, and push against it where the knot is.

Marigold7

The only really comfortable "chair" I have is my car seat. Bliss.. I sit up abed most of the time and when I came here, found the bed is one of those with a sloping back. Dreadful to try to sit up in for long periods. But am used to it now. Thin mattress over wooden slats. Well padded now with spare duvets.

mirshine

I found that putting two tennis balls inside a sock and tying a knot in the sock, with the tennis balls tight together helps. Although it is sore to do!
You lie on the floor and give the space between each vertebrae a turn.
One ball either side of your spine.

It really eases things out.

I really want to try the foam roller now too!

I saw one in our local shop (I can't go anywhere else!) but I'm tall and it wouldn't have been long enough.

I may just have to do some online shopping today!