• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

3 homo BHMT mutations and side effects from methylfolate

vortex

I have low glutathione and CFS and have been doing the methylation protocol and doing 1mg methylfolate and inject methylb-12

I have been progressing and my glutathione levels are rising on the HDRI methylation panel.

However, I am getting rising symptoms of

clenching jaw
tension in neck and shoulders
insomnia
anxiety
and rising blood pressure

they all sound like rising noradrenaline levels.

I have 3 homo BHMT mutations and yasko mentions high noradrenaline levels, specially BHMT 8.

So she says to use DMG to slow it down. Will that then lower noradrenaline levels?

Has anyone had similar symptoms and success with dmg?

thanks!

Learner1

Without seeing your labs, its hard to say.

I'd wonder if you have enough magnesium, like mag malate or glycinate. How are your other electrolytes, like potassium?

I take TMG from Vitamin Shoppe to help BHMT, so it might help.

And do you take enough P5P and B2 in proportion to your other methyl nutrients?

Learner1

Keeping my methionine cycle turning helps me with profound fatigue. It also helps me metabolize toxins that have been mobilized, by helping me get to the glutathione producing step.

Not having my methylation working properly over a long period of time led me to have a huge, hidden load of arsenic, cadmium, lead, and mercury. I'd chelated mercury over a 3 year period, but my doctor have me PolyMVA to clean out my mitochondria and get them functioning better.

I immediately had arsenic start coming out of me, measurable at acute levels in my blood, when it had never really shown up on provoked toxicity tests. Arsenic stops ATP production and I crashed and had many symptoms of toxicity, including a rash.

Upping my B12 helped. I tried SAMe, which made me extremely irritable. I added TMG and l-methionine (with IV curcumin and glutathione to get over the emergency) and my toxicity symptoms lessened to a manageable state. I also needed up up my B6 and B2.

If you take Ben Lynch's Pathway Planner, it helps to see all the cofactors you need at each step. I've been at this for about 8 years, and have really seen that if you increase one part of the cycle, the others have to increase too, so you can manipulate the throughput of the system.

Everyone is toxic. I've seen experts show data on this. Methylation helps to remove toxins (in addition to other tasks). If it doesn't work properly, then toxins will build up, and be sequestered throughout the body at different depths.

Starting it up again will mobilize toxins, and if they get partially moving and get stuck, you will have symptoms. I believe this is part of why people say they can't tolerate various methylation cofactors - they don't have the system balanced with the right proportions of ingredients.

I do a Genova Diagnostics NutrEval every 9-12 months to monitor status and adjust cofactors

vortex

That makes sense and I agree, but I am completely confused and baffled that you dont
take methylfolate or at least folinic acid? Do you not have mthfr snps?

Keeping my methionine cycle turning helps me with profound fatigue. It also helps me metabolize toxins that have been mobilized, by helping me get to the glutathione producing step.

Not having my methylation working properly over a long period of time led me to have a huge, hidden load of arsenic, cadmium, lead, and mercury. I'd chelated mercury over a 3 year period, but my doctor have me PolyMVA to clean out my mitochondria and get them functioning better.

I immediately had arsenic start coming out of me, measurable at acute levels in my blood, when it had never really shown up on provoked toxicity tests. Arsenic stops ATP production and I crashed and had many symptoms of toxicity, including a rash.

Upping my B12 helped. I tried SAMe, which made me extremely irritable. I added TMG and l-methionine (with IV curcumin and glutathione to get over the emergency) and my toxicity symptoms lessened to a manageable state. I also needed up up my B6 and B2.

If you take Ben Lynch's Pathway Planner, it helps to see all the cofactors you need at each step. I've been at this for about 8 years, and have really seen that if you increase one part of the cycle, the others have to increase too, so you can manipulate the throughput of the system.

Everyone is toxic. I've seen experts show data on this. Methylation helps to remove toxins (in addition to other tasks). If it doesn't work properly, then toxins will build up, and be sequestered throughout the body at different depths.

Starting it up again will mobilize toxins, and if they get partially moving and get stuck, you will have symptoms. I believe this is part of why people say they can't tolerate various methylation cofactors - they don't have the system balanced with the right proportions of ingredients.

I do a Genova Diagnostics NutrEval every 9-12 months to monitor status and adjust cofactors

Learner1

That makes sense and I agree, but I am completely confused and baffled that you dont
take methylfolate or at least folinic acid? Do you not have mthfr snps?
Yes, I do have folate SNPs. I take 5-MTHF in my Thorne multivitamin and MethylGuard Plus, but I need a lot more B12, B6, and B2 in proportion to it.

Critterina

I have 3 homo BHMT mutations and yasko mentions high noradrenaline levels, specially BHMT 8.

So she says to use DMG to slow it down. Will that then lower noradrenaline levels?

This advice confuses me. The BHMT mutations, I thought, slow down the process of converting homocysteine to methionine. BHMT is the most inhibiting of the three (although I understand it's not a huge slow-down). TMG is a reactant and DMG is a product of the slowed down reaction. Adding more product favors slowing it down more.

So, would that lower noradrenaline levels? Sorry, I can't answer that. But if you slow the methyl cycle enough, it does seem possible that it might happen. It just doesn't seem like a good thing to do, though.

Have you tried a low-tyrosine diet? That would come at it from a different angle (tyrosine gets made into dopamine, which gets made into norepinephrine) and not disrupt all the other things the methyl cycle needs to support, and not raise homocysteine.

Valentijn

The BHMT mutations, I thought, slow down the process of converting homocysteine to methionine.
When I looked into the research 4 years ago, it looked like 3 of the Yasko BHMT SNPs do nothing at all, and the "risky" version of BHMT-08 was mildly beneficial.

BHMT is a gene I'd generally ignore, unless someone has a real missense mutation or something going on in the UTR regions.

Critterina

When I looked into the research 4 years ago, it looked like 3 of the Yasko BHMT SNPs do nothing at all, and the "risky" version of BHMT-08 was mildly beneficial.

BHMT is a gene I'd generally ignore, unless someone has a real missense mutation or something going on in the UTR regions.
Oh, well! Who knows why I react OK to TMG but not OK to DMG? It's very clear that I do, just not why.

Learner1

Oh, well! Who knows why I react OK to TMG but not OK to DMG? It's very clear that I do, just not why.
I do well with TMG as well.

BHMT can be significant for many of us. It would depend on what other genes and environmental factors you have impacting the methionine cycle. Its much more complex than one SNP, however...

https://www.wikigenes.org/e/gene/e/635.html