• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Do you have zonulin test?

If you have, what is the result? Is it accurate, reliable? I could not understand, how leaky gut is detected by checking blood? Do results depend on what we eat in two days?

Last edited:

ljimbo423

I could not understand, how leaky gut is detected by checking blood?

From what I understand, a blood test can show your zonulin levels. If they are high, that means you could have a leaky gut. Zonulin opens up the spaces between the cells in your gut, causing a leaky gut. SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth) is one thing that can raise zonulin levels. Here is a link to a functional medicine doctor, that explains zonulin in great detail.

kangaSue

Is it accurate, reliable?

http://fg.bmj.com/content/early/2016/03/07/flgastro-2015-100651
[Increased intestinal permeability (IP) has also recently been associated with syndrome-defining symptoms of IBS, and has been detected in mucosa of patients with IBS.35 Zonulin is a peptide signalling molecule that disrupts tight junctional proteins between intestinal mucosal cells, leading to increased intestinal permeability (IIP).36 Serological testing for zonulin has been demonstrated to correlate well with gold-standard lactulose/mannitol testing in patients with increased IP from several causes (R2=0.7935).37 A recent study, published to date in abstract form only, has demonstrated elevated blood zonulin levels in subjects with IBS-D.38]

JollyRoger

I made a zonulin test. I tested it with a home test kit from Amazon (Germany).
It was slightly elevated so I will give the gluten/diary diet a try and a daily dose of glutamin.

Do you think it could be responsible for cfs?

Silence

Had it done too by KDM. Mine was elevated. I have been dealing with chronic Diarrhea for many years now. How many with elevated zonulin have IBS-D? or some form of gut dynfunction?

Hip

What is the accuracy of the zonulin test is, compared to the standard tests for leaky gut, such as the lactulose/mannitol test and the polyethylene glycol test?

Why would someone take a zonulin test, instead of the lactulose/mannitol test which directly measures gut leakiness?

Last edited:

Thinktank

Gluten can certainly raise zonulin, but so can certain intestinal bacteria.
My zonulin levels did not decrease significantly after being 6 months gluten free, so in my case it's probably intestinal bacteria or something else raising zonulin.

JollyRoger

Do I have to restore the leaky gut before a transplant?
First eradicating the old flora with antibiotics?
DIY or professional?

kangaSue

Do I have to restore the leaky gut before a transplant?
First eradicating the old flora with antibiotics?
DIY or professional?
Ulcerative Colitis is something with anecdotal evidence of having success with FMT and it's impossible to first stop a leaky gut if you have that so I would say not.

Not many countries allow even professionals to use FMT other than for C diff. It's accessible here in Australia for things other than C diff, a standard protocol is antibiotics then a colonoscopy prep purge followed by up to ten FMT treatments, at a cost though, around A$13,000 last time I inquired.

The choice of whether or not to go d.i.y is up to you.