• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Acute illness perspective (cold, flu)

confetti11

I just got super sick (cold, flu, sinusitis?) after barely starting to feel a little better during a relapse. My body even managed a small fever. Started as a scratchy throat, went to tons of congestion, some coughing, hit by a truck today. Do you think this is a good sign? I've read sometimes it can be--that your immune system is starting to work better. I don't get colds that much it seems. I have adrenal issues and scared this stress of acute illness will set this back. I hope it doesn't. :( I hope it's a sign things are beginning to work better.

taniaaust1

could be either or it could mean nothing. Some people go from not getting colds/flus due to this illness to starting to get everything which is going around so for some it could even indicate a further decline.

I don't have an answer for you but I wish I did. For me I strangely haven't had a cold since I initially got sick with my illness in September of 2014 and I'm suspicious that it's because my immune system just isn't woking right. Hugs to you and stay optimistic! As you've said, perhaps it's a sign that your immune system is starting to function in a more proper way.

ladycatlover

I'm in the same boat at present @confetti11 . 3 days after I received notification that the Tribunal Service had ruled on my case in my absence and kept my benefit the same - I started the first cold I've had for at least 10 years (my parents both died 10 years ago, and I certainly haven't had a cold since then). I find myself wondering if it was the shock and fury that I seemed to have missed my day in court to present my case. Certainly I could feel my heart sinking. :meh:

3 weeks later I'm still deaf in one ear, despite antibiotics followed by steroid ear spray. At least the earache has gone away! :) But still have slight sore throat and runny nose and sneezles.

I wonder if it's down to overactive immune system but only against viruses that makes for the not getting colds thing? I've had bacterial infections over the years - mainly teeth (ouch!) :aghhh:. Although I trained in Clinical Chemistry many years ago I'm no longer able to take in things well, so don't know much about the immune system. Though I think viruses and bacteria are dealt with by different parts of the immune system.

I do hope that this is a beginning of an improvement for you. But try not to be too disappointed if it isn't. :nervous: :cautious:

Best wishes from Liverpool, Maggie

(Oh, I did get my Tribunal rescheduled as I hadn't been informed about it, and neither had my advocate. :rolleyes:)

confetti11

@taniaaust1
@wherearemypillows
@ladycatlover

Thanks for all of your replies. I'm 9 days in on the cold now. I feel like the cold ran a typical course. I had a very slight fever at one point and all the typical symptoms (congestion, sore throat, cough, worse malaise). I'm left with some congestion and a little cough. I'm also left with (I think) a worsening on the chronic symptoms and extra fatigue. I'm hoping this worsening is only in the aftermath and will go away in short order.

@taniaaust1
@wherearemypillows
@ladycatlover

Thanks for all of your replies. I'm 9 days in on the cold now. I feel like the cold ran a typical course. I had a very slight fever at one point and all the typical symptoms (congestion, sore throat, cough, worse malaise). I'm left with some congestion and a little cough. I'm also left with (I think) a worsening on the chronic symptoms and extra fatigue. I'm hoping this worsening is only in the aftermath and will go away in short order.

Thanks for checking back in. Keep up the fight!