• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Oesophageal narrowing

Marigold7

A couple of years ago I started to have swallowing problems. With food getting stuck part way down which can be painful and scary.

Looked it up and knew someone else with the same problems and it seemed old age related.

One such episode saw me in A and E just after Christmas. While you are not at risk as it has passed the airway, it is painful and frightening.

When I finally saw a dr, it was one of the older mature foreign students we get her who are usually more clued up re M.E that ours. he told me that this problem AND the acid and headaches are auto immune problems . I checked the long list when I got home and sure enough there it is. Leaves no part of us unscathed ! And no problems since as i am now ultra careful with food....

Eastman

I know someone whose swallowing problem was apparently relieved by magnesium.

Some other home remedies are suggested in this article.

Marigold7

No tests etc. Rural Ireland on a medical card. and no need. I do nto really have a dr now. It is simple age related auto immune actual physical narrowing. Up to me to manage it as I do now. Not had any issues since that dreadful one after Christmas as I am very careful. Some old folk get so scared they get eg dehydrated . Just wondered how common it was with folk here with M.E.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I am also developing swallowing problems. I am old enough that it may be age related. Mine is higher in my throat, where it puts me at risk for pulling it into my windpipe.

I have not said anything to my doctor. Like you, I try to be careful when eating - especially chicken and raw carrots.

Marigold7

I am also developing swallowing problems. I am old enough that it may be age related. Mine is higher in my throat, where it puts me at risk for pulling it into my windpipe.

I have not said anything to my doctor. Like you, I try to be careful when eating - especially chicken and raw carrots.

Please be careful! The dr I saw in A and E said it is an auto -immune thing and it is listed as such on one of the main sites. There are it seems two different things. One is the mechanical difficulty in the swallowing mechanism itslef with no structural problems, which they call dysphagia. The other is that the oesophagus actually gets physically narrower which is my problem. And yours! At its worst the only thing they can do is stretch it but only once, Some end up on feeding tubes. Just is for us adapting. Not reading or watching anything when we are eating... A liquidiser is great. I found the worst thing was bread, It clumps, BUT not had an episode since that A and E time. Four months. I stopped eating meat ages ago.