• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How to induce sweating?

sb4

I am struggling with this a lot now it is close to summer. I sweat very little. I think I can increase it by a small amount by constanly drinking water and a little salt (then peeing it straight back out).

What is the cause of this? Is it low blood volume meaning not enough fluid to spare for sweat? Is it a problem with adrenergic/muscarinic receptors?

Has anyone found a way to help this issue?

kangaSue

Impaired sweat response is common in autoimmune conditions but also features in Autonomic Neuropathy where it can be autoimmune (so can have an antibody basis) or an idiopathic thing. QSART and TST autonomic function tests are the tests for this. It can be an acetylcholine signalling issue which can respond to Mestinon whether it be either an autoimmune or idiopathic type.

Ambrosia_angel

Is not sweating really an issue? It's a lot better than sweating too much.

Trust me you don't want that. It's horrible and very hard to deal with. I wouldn't attempt to trigger any sweating if I were you.

TreePerson

I have this problem. I find using 30gms whey protein isolate (Pulsin) makes me sweat. I remain undecided as to whether this is a good or a bad thing. It has been suggested to me that this is an allergic reaction to the whey protein. However as I am often unable to sweat (can feel my body trying to but that it is blocked), I also think it's possible that the whey protein is giving me something that is missing. Something that gets blocked as part of the general blockage in energy production.

sb4

It can be an acetylcholine signalling issue which can respond to Mestinon whether it be either an autoimmune or idiopathic type.
I have had this thought and do have slightly elevated antibodies against M3 receptor which is somewhat involoved in sweating however taking Bathanechol resulted in bad outcomes.
Trust me you don't want that. It's horrible and very hard to deal with. I wouldn't attempt to trigger any sweating if I were you.
Both sides are bad but in the heat not sweating is the worst. I am trying to use sunlight to heal however not sweating is killing me outside.
I also think it's possible that the whey protein is giving me something that is missing.
Interesting, somedays I sweat a little , some not at all. I am trying to find out if its a mineral deficiency or something. Maybe hypovolemia.

kangaSue

Is not sweating really an issue? It's a lot better than sweating too much.

Sudomotor dysfunction (inappropriate sweat response) can be either too little or too much sweating. It's worth testing for as it may have an antibody basis that can have treatment options.

kangaSue

I have had this thought and do have slightly elevated antibodies against M3 receptor which is somewhat involoved in sweating however taking Bathanechol resulted in bad outcomes.
I haven't seen it related to having M3 receptor antibody but that's not an antibody many get tested for. I don't sweat generally but do get hot flash type episodes at anytime regardless of temperature. I have antibody to alpha1 nicotonic acetylcholine receptor (as found in Myasthenia Gravis) and n-type voltage gated calcium channel but they fall within "normal" parameters.

Mestinon makes me sweat normally again but my gut doesn't tolerate it and it was for the gut that I was trying Mestinon as it sometimes helps with slow motility in gastroparesis, something which I have a severe case of.

sb4

@kangaSue Yeah gastroparesis is horrible. I think it is caused by any of these things:
Virus inside vagus nerve reducing vagal tone.
Antibodies against muscarinic/adrenergic receptors
Poor blood flow

kangaSue

@kangaSue Yeah gastroparesis is horrible. I think it is caused by any of these things:
Virus inside vagus nerve reducing vagal tone.
Antibodies against muscarinic/adrenergic receptors
Poor blood flow
Mine looks to be from poor blood flow, orthostatic hypotension resulting in chronic microvascular ischemia but may in fact be from compression of SMA artery and left renal vein, still work in progress.