• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

To CoQ10 or not to CoQ10

Hi everyone I have post-viral fatigue that's heading towards the time frame of CFS. I was taking CoQ10 a couple of months ago (my mum read up about them and got me some) but stopped when my doctor pretty much told me that the medical establishment has no reason to think they're beneficial and that they don't recommend people take them, so I stopped. Subsequently I have heard people mention them hear and elsewhere and am curious as to whether you think they may actually be beneficial to someone with post-viral/chronic fatigue?

caledonia

100mg CoQ10 helped my brain fog significantly. Some people on here get energy from it (with higher doses). Some people need to take it because their medication depletes it.

I agree with adreno - if it doesn't make a difference, there is probably no need to continue. I noticed a difference right away, and if I discontinued also noticed it right away (like within one day).

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Mito supps recommended for cfs are usually dosed much lower than they use for people with genetic mito disorders. Eg for Q10 is 15mg per kg of body weight. Carnitine is much higher than whats commonly used by cfsers. Cfsers to seem sensitive to things that energize and might need to taper up slowly if using the dosages recommended for mito disorders.

pamojja

Made the funny experience that debilitating angina-like chest-pains went away by taking more than 160 mg/d Ubiqinone. Half that dose of Ubiqunol has the same effect for me.

CoQ10 is endogenously synthesized by the body. However, with aging CoQ10 production is greatly reduced, that's when it might become beneficial to supplement.

ChrisD

COQ10 has been incredibly beneficial for my CFS and Fibro, I.e. activity level goes up significantly and generally feel better (Don't think it is a placebo) It seems to be 50/50 with people though and it is also very expensive but I don't intend to stop using it. My only concern is that my body is becoming slightly dependent on it? I am investigating natural sources of COQ10 but I don't know if the body will receive it in the same quantities?

Also does anyone know if COQ10 synthesis is related to any particular genetic SNPs?

ChrisD

Could you share the dosage that works best for you. I've been thinking about going up on my dosage for a few days now. I'm taking 230mg a day of regular coq10 (ubiquinone) but some people seem to get better results with higher doses.

So I have been taking 4-6X 120mg COQ10 daily, not even Ubiquinone, but I have used 100mg Ubiquinol twice daily before with the same effect. I have been quite tempted to try 1000mg a day but as I have said, I don't want my body to become reliant. Eggs and Cow's liver seem to be good natural sources.

I have no doubt that the COQ10, Carnitine, Ribose, NAC, Vitamin C combo is effective in most cases, unless you have sensitivities. It has worked well for me but I can't depend on it as its so costly

ljimbo423

Thanks @ChrisD! I will be going up 100mg on the coq10 today and see if I notice an improvement. That will bring me 330mg a day. I have been taking acetyl-carnitine, NAC and vitamins C for a few years now. I just added 1 gram a day of Ribose in a few days ago. I will be going up on that too.

I was taking Ribose for about a year, but stopped thinking it wasn't helping enough to justify the cost. Ribose works for me, although subtly. It just seems to give me a small sustained energy throughout the day. I know it's working though, when I take it too late in the evening I have trouble getting to sleep, so I know it's working.;)

ChrisD

I know it's working though, when I take it too late in the evening I have trouble getting to sleep, so I know it's working.;)

Same, I experience this at night too so always try to take it first thing in the morning along with the other mitochondrial agents. It all alleviates that pre-activity malaise a bit and also massively reduces PEM. So all good :) Just expensive and I am not really sure whether I am permanently healing my mitochondria or just mitigating for poor gut function temporarily

ljimbo423

Just expensive and I am not really sure whether I am permanently healing my mitochondria or just mitigating for poor gut function temporarily

I think they help to improve mito function, or at least, not allowing it to get worse. I do believe it's the gut that causes the mito dysfunction.

I also struggle with the expense, that's why I am primarily focused on getting rid of sibo/dysbiosis and leaky gut. That should take a huge burden off the mito's!