• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

SSI application

Hello fellow M.E. warriors,

I have been on disability and disability retirement now from my government job here in CA for the past 3 years. I didn't qualify for SSDI since the City of Los Angeles had their own retirement system. For some reason, I had overlooked SSI so now that it's under my radar. Any suggestions/insight from CA folks who have applied? What documents might I need? I'm planning to call the office this coming week and see about applying in person as soon as I've overcome this last bout with a flu bug. The joys of M.E.! Thank you all in advance.

*GG*

Hello fellow M.E. warriors,

I have been on disability and disability retirement now from my government job here in CA for the past 3 years. I didn't qualify for SSDI since the City of Los Angeles had their own retirement system.

For some reason, I had overlooked SSI so now that it's under my radar. Any suggestions/insight from CA folks who have applied? What documents might I need?

I'm planning to call the office this coming week and see about applying in person as soon as I've overcome this last bout with a flu bug. The joys of M.E.! Thank you all in advance.

Los Angeles HAD its own Retirement system, it no longer exist? I didn't make good money until I had a few years in my Gov't job, think my lawyer told me if I had to rely on SS(D)I? I would only get about $700 a month, hopefully that doesn't happen, don't see how I am going to Exist on that!

I am curious to follow this as well, I am in a similar boat
th

GG

geraldt52

I can't be of much help, but the sticking point for many/most folks regarding SSI is that it is means-tested, so you would have to have very low income and few assets to qualify. I would not be at all surprised if the maximum benefit was $700/month.

With anything involving Social Security it is wise to consult with a lawyer specializing in Soc Sec, who typically charge nothing if you don't get benefits. It is best not to rely on things you read on a forum, and best not to rely on anything that a Social Security office tells you.

Mary

Moderator Resource
I would start here: https://www.ssa.gov/ssi/
Click the link "am I eligible for SSI benefits" and see what you find out. @geraldt52 is right, your income has to be quite low to get SSI. I don't know the limits, but I think you should be able to get a good idea from this site whether or not you are eligible.

There is a lot of good information about Social Security on-line at the official government website. I have found that Social Security agents by phone are generally pretty knowledgeable and helpful as well. But do your own research too.

You don't need a lawyer to answer all questions about social security, and for general SS information, I don't think most attorneys are going to give out free advice anyways. But if you were applying for benefits, or appealing a denial of benefits, then yes, a lawyer could help you and would only collect a fee (a percentage of your award) if you won.

When I first applied for SSDI, I did the application on my own. Not surprisingly, it was denied. I contacted an attorney who told me to file the appeal paperwork myself, and that if the appeal was denied, to come see him. Surprisingly, I won, on my own, on appeal. I'm not recommending that course, I think in most cases it probably would be helpful to have an attorney do the appeal.

*GG*

I can't be of much help, but the sticking point for many/most folks regarding SSI is that it is means-tested, so you would have to have very low income and few assets to qualify. I would not be at all surprised if the maximum benefit was $700/month.

With anything involving Social Security it is wise to consult with a lawyer specializing in Soc Sec, who typically charge nothing if you don't get benefits. It is best not to rely on things you read on a forum, and best not to rely on anything that a Social Security office tells you.

I agree, our situations can be very different, and things change, not often, but they do change!

GG