• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has anyone had success using a natural cream/oil topically for pain?

hellytheelephant

I use a few essential oils for mood, relaxation, balance etc, but have not really used any for pain.

Any good/bad experiences using Wintergreen oil?

Crux

I haven't used Wintergreen oil - love the scent.

I have used - probably liters of Peppermint oil. It did help pain, but I've burned myself from using too much.

Perhaps the Wintergreen oil would be less burny.

Edit : I forgot to mention that it is recommended to first apply a barrier coat of oil before applying essential oils, or dilute. You probably know this, but , just in case. I use castor oil.

Last edited:

Seven7

Seven
I use a few essential oils for mood, relaxation, balance etc, but have not really used any for pain.

Any good/bad experiences using Wintergreen oil?
I use a combo ( there are 2 different types of pain receptors or more not sure) but the whole point if you mix the different types the pain is covered from all angles. So i mix thyme and peppermint oil and is very effective !!!!
Washing your hands will leave some residual oil so careful w eyes and bottom!!!!

hellytheelephant

Sadly peppermint oil doesn't do much for me....am going to modify the title of this thread to include other ( natural) oils and creams.
I use a combo ( there are 2 different types of pain receptors or more not sure) but the whole point if you mix the different types the pain is covered from all angles. So i mix thyme and peppermint oil and is very effective !!!!
Washing your hands will leave some residual oil so careful w eyes and bottom!!!!
Great- that sounds worth trying. Thanks

Mary

Moderator Resource

Crux

You've got me thinking...

Many essential oils act as nitric oxide synthase inhibitors. Too much nitric oxide = pain.

The only pain I have now is some mild pelvic pain, achy ovaries.

Two of the strongest NOS inhibitor essential oils are ; clove oil and cinnamon oil. I've put one oil on one ovary, and the other on the other. Both are working well against pain.

I smell pretty good.

I also have used DMSO, a solvent, for pain. There are creams with it.

hellytheelephant

You've got me thinking...

Many essential oils act as nitric oxide synthase inhibitors. Too much nitric oxide = pain.

The only pain I have now is some mild pelvic pain, achy ovaries.

Two of the strongest NOS inhibitor essential oils are ; clove oil and cinnamon oil. I've put one oil on one ovary, and the other on the other. Both are working well against pain.

I smell pretty good.

I also have used DMSO, a solvent, for pain. There are creams with it.
Oh that sounds brilliant! I am glad you guys are thinking so scientifically about this- really interesting about some oils not working on certain pains. Do you dilute the clove and cinnamon?

hellytheelephant

For muscle pain I find magnesium oil very effective, and I often apply this lotion by Now Foods on top of the magnesium oil, and together they are pretty effective: https://www.iherb.com/pr/now-foods-glucosamine-msm-arnica-liposome-lotion-8-fl-oz-237-ml/645 One of my sisters had problems with tendon pain and she found magnesium oil very effective for that (after suffering for years)

I've also heard about people using arnica cream by itself.
Arnica topically doesn't work for me, but the Arnica Homeopathic remedy works very well.

hellytheelephant

No that is a clue! So your pain is more nerve like? If so thyme is the way to go. I need to go back and read again. But that is a clue! Google what is the receptor for peppermint then try oils that do the other receptor!!! Good luck
I've never tried Thyme oil- so thanks. I see it also acts as a memory booster- which maybe would mean I feature less in the 'Classic ME moments' thread ;)

Jigsaw

Be aware that ALL essential oils, with the exception of Tea Tree and the whole Lavender family, need to be diluted in a suitable carrier oil before applying to your skin, or, as Crux has noted, you will burn your skin.

Tea Tree and Lavender you can use neat. Not any of the others. Even when using ess oils for perfumes, you still use a base oil to dilute them and make them safe for topical use.

You can sprinkle neat essential oils onto a cotton hankie (they evaporate very fast from tissues) and inhale them, or on your pillow, across the top of your bedding near your head, or use a room diffuser.

You can add up to ten drops to a bath, or add 5-10 drops to 10-25ml base oil to massage into your skin.

I add Lavender into a sinkful of water, squeeze a flannel out in it, and wash myself with that. It's amazing how much grime comes off! I don't use showergels or shampoos anymore (nor commercial toothpaste - I make my own with fine ground sea salt, bicarb, and essential oils. Clove, peppermint, spearmint, oregano are all good for taste and dental health). Essential oils don't have SLS etc, and they smell delicious.

Hope that helps with ways of applying essential oils.

Jigsaw

:)

Any aromatherapy advice anyone's after, feel free to PM me.

I seriously can't imagine life without my essential oils. I use them in deodorants, perfumes, toothpaste, as a skin wash, for sinusitis, infections, burns, minor wounds, to help sleep.....the possibilities are almost literally endless! And some of the carrier oils have astonishing skin and hair regenerative actions, too.