• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

XMRV AND ANXIETY DEPRESSION THE anxious Amygdala

G

Gerwyn

Take home message

XMRV inserts into CREB genes causing insertional mutagenesis.

In simple terms that means that it can change the activity of the gene and a change in the nature and function of the proteins made.

CREB protects neurons within the amgydala.Down regulation can cause excessive neural death in the Amgydala(this is the responsible for regulating levels of anxiety ).

Excessive cell death causes hyperanxiety states and paradoxically depression.

So could XMRV cause anxiety and depression hypothetically yes

Clin Invest. 2005 October 1; 115(10): 26972699.
doi: 10.1172/JCI26436.

PMCID: PMC1236699
Copyright 2005, American Society for Clinical Investigation
The anxious amygdala: CREB signaling and predisposition to anxiety and alcoholism
Gary Wand
Department of Medicine and Psychiatry, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
Address correspondence to: Gary S. Wand, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Ross Research Building, Room 863, 720 Rutland Avenue, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA. Phone: (410) 955-7225; Fax: (410) 955-0841; E-mail: gwand@jhmi.edu.
Small right arrow pointing to: See the article "Deficits in amygdaloid cAMP-responsive elementbinding protein signaling play a role in genetic predisposition to anxiety and alcoholism" on page 2762.

Small right arrow pointing to: This article has been cited by other articles in PMC.

* Other Sections▼
o Abstract
o Alcohol-abuse disorders
o Alcohol and the nucleus accumbens
o Alcohol and the amygdala
o Selectively bred rodent lines
o References

Abstract
The amygdala is believed to play a key role in assigning emotional significance to specific sensory input, and conditions such as anxiety, autism, stress, and phobias are thought to be linked to its abnormal function. Growing evidence has also implicated the amygdala in mediation of the stress-dampening properties of alcohol. In this issue of the JCI, Pandey and colleagues identify a central amygdaloid signaling pathway involved in anxiety-like and alcohol-drinking behaviors in rats. They report that decreased phosphorylation of cAMP responsive elementbinding protein (CREB) resulted in decreased neuropeptide Y (NPY) expression in the central amygdala of alcohol-preferring rats, causing high anxiety-like behavior. Alcohol intake by these animals was shown to increase PKA-dependent CREB phosphorylation and thereby NPY expression, subsequently ameliorating anxiety-like behavior. These provocative data suggest that a CREB-dependent neuromechanism underlies high anxiety-like and excessive alcohol-drinking behavior.

V99

What would the rats be like if this continued for years?

Dr. Yes

Shame on You
Thanks, G. Interesting find. Though I wonder if the XMRV copy number in the CNS would be high enough to affect (through insertion into the appropriate CREB genes) a sufficient number of neurons to cause these problems. Unless of course the CNS is a tissue reservoir for XMRV, in which case there may be sufficient copies.

In this issue of the JCI, Pandey and colleagues identify a central amygdaloid signaling pathway involved in anxiety-like and alcohol-drinking behaviors in rats.

Boy did those rats sign up for the wrong 12-Step Program.

Take home message

The Take home message is that I need a drink.

(Oddly, that is always my take home message.)

JillBohr

Gerwyn, this is very interesting. When looking at my ASD children, they have family members (on both the mother (me) and their father's side) that suffer from depression and anxiety. Somehow I was able to dodge the bullet sort of speak but I must have passed on something to my children because anxiety is very high in my children and my higher functioning son goes through wild mood swings that make me wonder if he is bi-polar. Back in 2007, the Economist printed an article called "Bad is Good" regarding the rise of depression. Chris Lowry, from Bristol University, and his colleagues had a hypothesis that a particular sort of bacterium might alleviate clinical depression. It caught my eye because it was based on the clean hypothesis. They used this first on lung cancer and it improved the patients health. Unfortunately, I do not have access to the article on line but I found a copy of it here:

http://www.progressdaily.com/2007/05/02/depressing-cleanliness/

M. vaccae is anti-inflammatory, and particulary good at switching off Th2 inflammation. As you are probably aware, there was a clinical study with the PPAR-gamma agonist pioglitazone, like M. Vaccae, it enhances IL=10 release and shuts off Th2.

After reading that article, it made me be go back and reflect on my family and the various health problems that not only inlude ME/CFS, autism, cancer and MS but also depression, anxiety disorders and drinking. I forgot to mention that diabetes is big in my family as well. I know, what a family I have. :rolleyes:

Gerwyn, I forgot to add my major point. In depression, there are many similarities in cytokines that you see in ME/CFS, autism, etc. Perhaps that is why so many doctors prescribe SSRI's autism, ME/CFS, etc. As you may know, not only are the number of cases of autism and ME/CFS rising but so are cases of depression.

ukxmrv

I guess I am really lucky as I don't have anxiety or depression. Many people with ME cannot tolerate alcohol as it makes their physical symptoms worse.

The Gupta program talks a lot about the Amgydala. Patients who do have anxiety seem to find it helpful. Maybe some connection here?

It could also explain co-morbid psych problems.

G

Gerwyn

Thanks, G. Interesting find. Though I wonder if the XMRV copy number in the CNS would be high enough to affect (through insertion into the appropriate CREB genes) a sufficient number of neurons to cause these problems. Unless of course the CNS is a tissue reservoir for XMRV, in which case there may be sufficient copies.

Hi Doc

MuLv,s are neurotropic there could be very high titres and still xmrv would be indetectable.In fact you would not need high copy numbers to do this at least not initially.If transmitted vertically of course then the time bomb is already ticking!

Anyone with a partner with oesteoporesis, bone problems or cramps?

ukxmrv

Bad Osteoporosis all through my family, Gerwyn. My aunt died of bone cancer and her husband is currently dying of prostate cancer.

These were my big concerns if I was ever "cured" of ME. Having seen the devastating Osteoporosis and then the deaths from cancer.

G

Gerwyn

Bad Osteoporosis all through my family, Gerwyn. My aunt died of bone cancer and her husband is currently dying of prostate cancer.

These were my big concerns if I was ever "cured" of ME. Having seen the devastating Osteoporosis and then the deaths from cancer.

This is what was worrying me if XMRV downregulates creb then osteoporosis is a real possibility

REB induces BMP2 transcription in osteoblasts and CREB knockout reduces bone mass in mice
Bone, Volume 44, Issue null, Pages S27-S27
M. Zhao, J. Edwards, S. Ko, R. Parlato, S. Harris, G. Mundy
You can get the full-text article here... ...if you are:

* healthcare practitioner
* interested in pay-per-view article purchase
* visitor or subscriber to the website
* student or faculty member
* researcher or librarian

* visitor or subscriber to the journal website

Learn which websites I use (cookies required)

Navid

:Retro tongue: ahhh rat-arsed :tongue:

is this some type of british humor...you guys are getting such a good laugh from it and i'm sitting here scratching my head saying...huh!?!?!?:confused:

let us in on the joke, please:innocent1::D

Otis

Señor Mumbler
Boy did those rats sign up for the wrong 12-Step Program.

The Take home message is that I need a drink.

(Oddly, that is always my take home message.)

Hi my name's Templeton and I have a problem. :Retro tongue:

Rosemary

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/05/04/autism.brain.amygdala/index.html

Any thoughts on why the amygdala in toddlers with autism is 13 percent larger than unaffected kids ?

CNN) -- The size of a specific part of the brain may help experts pinpoint when autism could first develop, University of North Carolina researchers report.

The amygdala helps individuals process faces and emotions.
Using MRI brain scans, researchers found that the area of the brain called the amygdala was, on average, 13 percent larger in young children with autism, compared with control group of children without autism. In the study, published in the latest Archives of General Psychiatry, researchers scanned 50 toddlers with autism and 33 children without autism at age 2 and again at age 4. The study adjusted for age, sex and IQ.

"We believe that children with autism have normal-sized brains at birth but at some point, in the latter part of the first year of life, it [the amygdala] begins to grow in kids with autism. And this study gives us insight inside the underlying brain mechanism so we can design more rational interventions," said lead study author Dr. Joseph Piven.

"Many studies have observed the brain grows too big in kids with autism, but this study finds that by age 2, the amygdala is already bigger and stops growing," said Kosofsky. "So it tells us the critical difference has already developed. It now poses the question: Are children born with autism or does it develop in the first two years of life?"

G

Gerwyn

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/05/04/autism.brain.amygdala/index.html

Any thoughts on why the amygdala in toddlers with autism is 13 percent larger than unaffected kids ?

CNN) -- The size of a specific part of the brain may help experts pinpoint when autism could first develop, University of North Carolina researchers report.

The amygdala helps individuals process faces and emotions.
Using MRI brain scans, researchers found that the area of the brain called the amygdala was, on average, 13 percent larger in young children with autism, compared with control group of children without autism. In the study, published in the latest Archives of General Psychiatry, researchers scanned 50 toddlers with autism and 33 children without autism at age 2 and again at age 4. The study adjusted for age, sex and IQ.

"We believe that children with autism have normal-sized brains at birth but at some point, in the latter part of the first year of life, it [the amygdala] begins to grow in kids with autism. And this study gives us insight inside the underlying brain mechanism so we can design more rational interventions," said lead study author Dr. Joseph Piven.

"Many studies have observed the brain grows too big in kids with autism, but this study finds that by age 2, the amygdala is already bigger and stops growing," said Kosofsky. "So it tells us the critical difference has already developed. It now poses the question: Are children born with autism or does it develop in the first two years of life?"

i will have a good look is it just the am that is bigger