• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Guardian - 7 Sins of psychology

SamanthaJ

https://www.theguardian.com/science...ience-the-path-ahead-for-reforming-psychology
The writer of this piece, Chris Chambers, has a written a book, 'The Seven Deadly Sins of Psychology'. No mention of PACE, but some of the 'sins' sound familiar.

"Our mission wasn’t about truth seeking. How painfully naive I had been. It was about crunching through as many experiments as possible as quickly as possible, finding ways to make ambiguous data look beautiful, publishing frequently in prestigious journals, getting to work in so-and-so’s “rockstar” lab (which of course always produced beautiful results and published exclusively in said prestigious journals), winning large public grants, and basically getting as famous and powerful as possible."

He's based at Cardiff Uni's School of Psychology, which is I think home to Mansel Aylward? Not that I'm implying anything.

ETA: Just looked up the Science Media Centre for a separate query, and CC is on the advisory commitee.

Last edited:

SilverbladeTE

Pedagogue prostitutes in other words

normally such corruption is "just" (and even then it's not trivial) a blight that retards Science
but since this whole ugly and deliberate mess was about people's HEALTH, it was a high crime, including murder
there must be no acceptance or cover up of this WHAT SO EVER

never EVER overlook or forget that people have been denied vital medical aid, had their children taken from them after falsely accused of a FAKE psychological issue and sometimes NEVER given back/adopted by others, people have lost limbs, been left paralyzed, killed or suffered permanent horrible traumas of all kinds by all this crap.

Last edited by a moderator:

Large Donner

It was about crunching through as many experiments as possible as quickly as possible, finding ways to make ambiguous data look beautiful, publishing frequently in prestigious journals, getting to work in so-and-so’s “rockstar” lab (which of course always produced beautiful results

Wessely quote on the PACE trial....

“For those who appreciate these things, the trial is a thing of beauty”:

SilverbladeTE

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

yes, rather appropriate, really...an Eye Tyrant, aka, a "beholder"
evil, xenophobic, very intelligent but with extremely stunted wisdom and empathy, mad schemes to rule the world, sadistic, controls people by fear, generally go insane in the end
Sounds like Wessely, don't it?

:p

245beholder5emm.jpg