• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bruxism (teeth grinding) lately since starting methylfolate

bigmillz

The most major change to my supplements lately has been the addition of methylfolate. I've been trying to find my perfect dose for probably a couple of months now. Just dropped from 6mg to 4mg this week. I used to take 2mg months ago, and was getting really depressed. 1mg was even worse.

However since trying 8-10mg for a while, I've had pretty bad night Bruxism. Dropping to 4mg this week helped with daytime Bruxism but this past night it was so bad I had to break out the mouth guard.

I'm also developing some bad insomnia that was not there when I was at the higher doses. It's almost like I've refilled my neurotransmitters and no now longer need to take a high dose. I've seen a less reputable site say that Deplin can be used in the same way to "refill."

Anyone else have this? I assume maybe I need to go lower still? Also I am taking 400mg Mg citrate daily - specifically right before bed, when the problem is worse.

Last edited:

bigmillz

Sounds like you are excreting heavy metals. Any jaw ache?

Nope, none.

Also I should add. About a year ago I was on 6mg methylfolate daily and didn't have this issue. I took a break from it because I was getting too agitated, until I added B2. Now the methylfolate is a lot smoother.

keenly

Nope, none.

Also I should add. About a year ago I was on 6mg methylfolate daily and didn't have this issue. I took a break from it because I was getting too agitated, until I added B2. Now the methylfolate is a lot smoother.

I got a lot of teeth grinding and Jaw pain last time I was using high dose Iodine. Usually happens when one is excreting heavy metals.

perchance dreamer

I'd get a nightguard, @bigmillz. Untreated bruxism can wreck your teeth health and cause thousands of dollars in the long run.

Too much methylfolate gives me insomnia, too.

bigmillz

I'd get a nightguard, @bigmillz. Untreated bruxism can wreck your teeth health and cause thousands of dollars in the long run.

Too much methylfolate gives me insomnia, too.

It must just be too high of a dose still. So weird.

I've got a mouthguard that I dug out and wore part of last night, at least until this is fixed. Thanks :)

Mohawk1995

I would be concerned that the Bruxism is accompanying a poor sleep cycle. Our son had significant issues with this while struggling with his ME/CFS. Much better now that he is significantly improved. You would definitely want to avoid as much sleep disturbance as possible.

bigmillz

I would be concerned that the Bruxism is accompanying a poor sleep cycle. Our son had significant issues with this while struggling with his ME/CFS. Much better now that he is significantly improved. You would definitely want to avoid as much sleep disturbance as possible.

So you think it might be the opposite way around, that the sleep issues are causing it?

I've definitely been suffering more insomnia than usual this week. And been feeling pretty ramped up (in a good way, tons of energy and great mood).

I went down to 2mg methylfolate yesterday, and I'm still grinding my jaw this morning, but I did sleep a little more soundly at least.

Going to try a few more days at 2mg and see if it improves. Sadly my energy levels this morning are falling short of the past few days at 4-6mg.

Mohawk1995

I don't think there is enough evidence to support either way, but the fact that a key feature of ME/CFS is un-refreshed sleep leads me to believe sleep is more primary and bruxism is secondary to that. Could be a measure of how well you are sleeping, meaning less bruxism could mean better quality of sleep. More Bruxism meaning worse sleep. Having insomnia and feeling ramped up is not the ideal cycle of having energy through the day and sleeping well at night. That may not be immediately achievable, but it is the target and best to get as close as possible.

I know people with ME turn to supplements which can be helpful. Challenge is trying to find the minimal level of the right supplement that gives you the best results. If a supplement is not specifically tied to improvement after several weeks, I might wonder whether or not taking it is helping or possibly even making things worse. Same holds true with increasing dose. A little can be good thing and a lot could make matters worse. More of something good is often not good.

All of this and more makes it difficult to treat this disease.

perchance dreamer

I'd see a dentist about the bruxism because it can be made worse or caused by a bad bite. Mine got better when my bite was adjusted, which was easily done in the dentist chair.

bigmillz

I'd see a dentist about the bruxism because it can be made worse or caused by a bad bite. Mine got better when my bite was adjusted, which was easily done in the dentist chair.

I'd just rather try some potentially more obvious things first - like the methylfolate.

I do remember that it can take a while to reverse. I got it bad the first time I ever took Nuvigil, but haven't gotten it from Nuvigil since. But it did take a good week to completely go away. I think it agitates and worsens itself.

bigmillz

It's actually easing up substantially late this afternoon. Been taking care not to chew gum or clench. Definitely feeling the lack of methylfolate though. I'm hoping I can bring the methylfolate back up safely in a day or 2, just like I was fine with future uses of Nuvigil.