• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr. Hyde

Hello all!

I have my first Skype appointment with Dr. Hyde coming up soon.

Can anyone give me reviews of their appointments with him? They seem to be mixed and now I'm a bit nervous. I am not looking for a cure, as I feel right now a diagnosis and a ruling out of other potential disease is what I am after.

Thank you! :)

Dechi

I am a patient of Dr Hyde. Don't worry, your appointment will go very well. He is a nice and caring man and fierce advocate of ME patients receiving appropriate care and treatment.

As I like to say, he is a detective and even if you don't have ME, he will help you go the appropriate route to get a diagnosis. The first appointment is basically you telling your whole life story, he will ask lots of questions ! :)

For what it's worth, I've heard he's great at differential diagnosis. I also met him personally at IACFS/ME Conference and got a good impression. :) However, I've never seen him as a patient.
@JaimeS Thank you! This is what I heard as well! I watched his videos on Youtube and was amazed at his knowledge.

I am a patient of Dr Hyde. Don't worry, your appointment will go very well. He is a nice and caring man and fierce advocate of ME patients receiving appropriate care and treatment.

As I like to say, he is a detective and even if you don't have ME, he will help you go the appropriate route to get a diagnosis. The first appointment is basically you telling your whole life story, he will ask lots of questions ! :)
@Dechi Thank you so much! I'm happy to find another patient de Dr. Hyde's! He does seem like a real detective. I'm so happy to hear that, thanks again! :)

@JaimeS @Sing @Dechi @lakesarecool @Kati @Little Bluestem @halcyon @Sushi @JohnM @ScottTriGuy

Hi guys!

I had my first Skype appointment with Dr. Hyde this morning. I tagged some of you in case you're still interested in knowing how it went. If not, my apologies.

First off, I'll tell you how I became his patient. I live about 9-10 hours away from Ottawa, hence the Skype session. Back in January 2017, I emailed the two email addresses I could find on Dr. Hyde's website (google the Nightingale Foundation). I got a response about 6-8 weeks later from Dr. Hyde's secretary. She took my information and told me to write my symptoms in an email she would forward to Dr. Hyde. I also sent her test results I recently had done. I didn't hear from them for about 3 months and out of the blue, Dr. Hyde himself called me to tell me how this would all work. (Two Skype sessions of 2 hours at $200 each, then probably some testing in Ottawa.) And the Skype appointment was set for today.

The appointment was very long - almost 3 hours (went above the two hour timeframe). Dr. Hyde is very calm, extremely smart and not "judgy" like many doctors I've seen in the past. He does talk a bit about Canadian history and his younger self here and there when you mention where you live or when you go off on a tangent, but it's a good break from all the medical questions you must answer. Some things I couldn't believe he could tell over Skype:
-I wasn't wearing my glasses and he could tell my eyes were out of focus (no one has EVER noticed it before)
-While looking at my hands, he said: you didn't tell me you broke your pinky. I actually didn't even remember that I had, but he noticed the littlest irregularity of my finger.
-He figured out I had mild temporomandibular arthritis and a "crowded mouth" by looking at my teeth and having me do some movements with my mouth/jaw.
I was speechless.
He goes very indepth - your medical history from age 1-4. Then from kindergarten to grade 12. And from grade 12 to present. He also takes family history of illnesses and highest level of education - your mother and all her siblings and her parents and your father, all siblings and parents. That takes a while.

He stated a few times that what he does, is rule out any potential illness that could act as CFS/ME, which is alright with me. I'm only looking for diagnosis at this time, not treatment (baby steps!). He already prepared requisitions to send to my hospital to start checking anything related to the heart (Holter, Echo, Stress test, Carotid US, etc). After he gets the results, we'll meet on Skype again.

I am extremely satisfied with Dr. Hyde. I think he could give House a run for his money. I can see how some people say he talks too much about himself, but I don't think it's to gloat - he's just passionate about what he does. I can't wait for the next meeting. I can keep you guys posted for the next one too. And, if you have any questions, fire away. I'll be glad to help! :)

Dechi

@Anana thank you for the detailled story of your first appointment ! I had exactly the same experience with him. Yes, he does talk a lot about his life, but he is an older man, and I think he does this out of pure joy. He loves life and talking to people.

@Jesse2233 Yes, Dr Hyde thinks in some cases the brain can heal itself. He will usually do a second SPECT scan 2 years after the first. He's told me moderate cases like me usually don't recover but you never know.

@Jesse2233 I will make a list of questions to ask him for the next apt, I'll add this one to it!

@Dechi Yes!!! I had watched all his interviews on Youtube prior to meeting him and I was kinda starstruck when he first called me. Ha! He's an amazing fellow!

Oberon

@Anana

Thank you for taking the time to share a detailed account with all of us. I tried e-mailing there office a while ago and never heard back, but based on your story I figured I would give it another shot and see how it goes.

Hopefully he's able to help you :)