• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can anyone reccomend exercises ?

sharks

I am starting to be able to get out of bed and a lot of my muscles in my legs are stiff. Is there anything I can do laying down or sitting? I have pots so nothing too intense.

Thanks!

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
These gentle stretching exercises might appeal to you @sharks, Part 2 has leg stretches.

These stretching exercises look good, but I have one concern. I've heard that bouncing should not be done while stretching. Hold for 10-30 seconds and release, then repeat, but don't bounce. It's best to do stretches after your body is warm from some low intensity exercise or a soak in the tub.

keenly

I am starting to be able to get out of bed and a lot of my muscles in my legs are stiff. Is there anything I can do laying down or sitting? I have pots so nothing too intense.

Thanks!
In Body By Science, bodybuilding powerhouse John Little teams up with fitness medicine expert Dr. Doug McGuff to present a scientifically proven formula for maximizing muscle development in just 12 minutes a week. Backed by rigorous research, the authors prescribe a weekly high-intensity program for increasing strength, revving metabolism, and building muscle for a total fitness experience.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0071597174/ref=ox_sc_act_title_19?smid=AHRB2OK2Q2YCL&psc=1

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
In Body By Science, bodybuilding powerhouse John Little teams up with fitness medicine expert Dr. Doug McGuff to present a scientifically proven formula for maximizing muscle development in just 12 minutes a week. Backed by rigorous research, the authors prescribe a weekly high-intensity program for increasing strength, revving metabolism, and building muscle for a total fitness experience.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0071597174/ref=ox_sc_act_title_19?smid=AHRB2OK2Q2YCL&psc=1

That looks like a bit much for someone who has been bedbound.

You can't strengthen a muscle that's already in a contracted state.

Maybe @Mohawk1995 might have some suggestions for @sharks.

keenly

That looks like a bit much for someone who has been bedbound.

Maybe @Mohawk1995 might have some suggestions for @sharks.

It is the basic premise I agree with. This type of exercise does not shoot the heart rate up. Use bands instead of weights, or just use no weight at all.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
It is the basic premise I agree with. This type of exercise does not shoot the heart rate up. Use bands instead of weights, or just use no weight at all.
I'm not talking about heart rates. I'm talking about the mechanical stress on a muscle that is already in a contracted state. The OP said that the muscles in their legs were STIFF. Muscles will not strengthen when they are stiff. Strengthening exercises will just cause more tightness and pain. Can't wait for @Mohawk1995 to make an appearance here.

Mohawk1995

@CFS_for_19_years thanks for the tag. I do have an opinion, but it may not be what some expect.

@sharks the challenge with "exercise prescription" is that there are many factors to consider especially when you are looking at someone with ME or POTS. Most exercise guidelines (target HR, Level of resistance, number of reps, duration) are all established based on "norms" or averages of averages. Since there is no "average" person out there, any recommendation for activity or exercise should be based on that specific person (scientifically speaking N=1)

ME and POTS present unique issues most people are not even aware of. Most do not understand the impact or the potential magnitude PEM plays. What might be considered exertion for one person, might not be for another. Also it should also be based on what specific issue(s) the person is experiencing (muscle stiffness, joint stiffness, muscle weakness, muscle imbalance, lack of endurance, balance issues, vestibular problems, etc...).

For someone with ME, monitoring the level of activity and response to it is critical to attempt to avoid PEM or other negative responses. For most, as normal of activity as can be tolerated (without significant negative consequences) would be ideal. That might well mean no specific exercise is warranted. Just normal activity.

For "muscle stiffness" a gentle slow easy stretching program may be beneficial. Should not bounce, but should also not be sustained for longer than a few seconds either (believe it or not this can cut off blood to nerves or create weakness in muscles). Take plenty of time to perform so as to not add stress. Performing it in a comfortable and most restful position sounds right. If by doing this you are able to achieve an improved and sustainable level of activity then what you are doing could be considered successful.

Agree 100%. Mobility first. Strength second always in my book.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
@Mohawk1995, thanks for giving some thought to this and posting a reply. If someone's been bedbound it seems like some of the usual activities of light housework will be enough of a challenge, such as taking out the trash which involves bending over and lifting, which would stretch and strengthen the legs and some of the core muscles.

sharks

look I'm not looking to do a tough mudder anytime soon. I just want to stretch and try to keep some muscle mass I had before I got sick from going away.

Basilico

Florida
I second the advice to use resistance bands to help you stretch. I use these to stretch my calf muscles while in a lying down position, and it feels really good.

I don't know if you are capable of doing this yet, but walking lunges are excellent both for a variety of leg muscle groups and hip flexors (which improve balance). You could try just doing a few to see if you can tolerate them.