• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

General Anasthesia small surgery

Hugo

Any experience of that? I may need a small surgery and in that case I would need a general anasthesia. I read in the warning for anasthesia part of the general information in phoenix rising but I would like to hear experiences from people with ME .

Last edited:

helperofearth123

I've had general anaesthetic twice since having CFS. Once for exploded appendix, afterwards I experience a several week long remission, cause unknown. The other time was for a flexible sigmoidoscopy and weirdly enough for 1 day afterwards I felt great, as if the anaesthetic was somehow good! Then I went back to normal old illness. Thats just my experience.

Invisible Woman

I have had to have a general anaesthetic twice in the last few years. On both occasions I carefully explained that I have a problem with stimulants such as adrenaline and that I have a problem with medications and have a number of allergies. They listened very carefully and on both occasions I was absolutely fine.

Here is a leaflet on anaesthetics from the MEA that may provide some useful information to bring/discuss during your pre op appointment:

http://www.meassociation.org.uk/shop/management-leaflets/anaesthetics/

There is a small fee for this download.

Best of luck!

Mohawk1995

Our son had General Anesthesia for a knee procedure when he was struggling with ME. He did well even though at the time we did not know he had ME (thought is was Atypical Migraines) He too had a brief period of feeling better than normal and also experienced significant improvement for a few days following an anaphylactic response to routine allergy testing.

*GG*

I had hernia surgery last spring, I gave these handouts to Dr before surgery. I did not have any problems, just taking it easy enough to heal, and not need surgery again, do to overdoing it.

GG

Attachments

• Anesthesia letter Cheney page, to Whom it May concern.pdf
    23.3 KB · Views: 15
  • ME and CFS and FM ANESTHESIA WARNING Anesthesia-Card2.pdf
    43.1 KB · Views: 15
  • RECOMMENDATIONS FOR PERSONS WITH CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME (OR Fibromyalgia).pdf
    22.9 KB · Views: 18

Hugo

Thanks for your posts and the links and attached files. I appreciate it a lot.

perchance dreamer

Hi, @Hugo. How old are you? Sometimes older people have more trouble with brain fog after general anesthesia.

I'm 59 and had general anesthesia March 9 of this year. I'm still experiencing increased brain fog from the anesthesia, but it's much better now. I don't expect it to be permanent, but it's been a problem.

Regardless of your age, I'd suggest doing some brain wave training after the surgery since anesthesia can increase slow wave activity, which can cause spaciness. Transparent Corp. lets you download a subset of their NeuroProgrammer software for free so you can try it out. If you did this, I'd listen some of the Beta and Study Focus sessions, which entrain the higher waves associated with attention.

https://transparentcorp.com/products/np/

Hugo

Hi, @Hugo. How old are you? Sometimes older people have more trouble with brain fog after general anesthesia.

I'm 59 and had general anesthesia March 9 of this year. I'm still experiencing increased brain fog from the anesthesia, but it's much better now. I don't expect it to be permanent, but it's been a problem.

Regardless of your age, I'd suggest doing some brain wave training after the surgery since anesthesia can increase slow wave activity, which can cause spaciness. Transparent Corp. lets you download a subset of their NeuroProgrammer software for free so you can try it out. If you did this, I'd listen some of the Beta and Study Focus sessions, which entrain the higher waves associated with attention.

https://transparentcorp.com/products/np/

Thanks, Im 41. I will look inte that, I want to avoid brain fog as much as possible, I had some more brain fog than usual this year and its just terrible to loose a lot of ones mental abilities.

flitza

I had a minor procedure in general anesthesia and felt really good for a couple of weeks afterwards.
May have to have something minor done in the next several days and just not sure how to deal with the LDN. I just started it at 0.2mg about a week ago. Thought that if I skip the day before and a couple of days after (if they give any opiates) I should be ok.
Any advice?

Hugo

Yes thats probably ok, 0,2mg is a very small dose and will not have an effect for a long time but everyone is different in how we process medicins so take one day atleast if you want to be certain. Theres more about this subject in phoenix rising forum and also on LDN forums.

Hugo

Generally though to my knowledge its opiates that the LDN will block and not general anasthesia but I would be to scare to gamble anything in a surgery. Im in the same situation by the way.

Kenny Banya

I just had surgery with general anaesthetic in February.
In my overnight stay, I didn't sleep all night as they kept checking my blood pressure & oxygen levels every hour.
The morning I left, I felt wonderful for the rest of the day - so counterintuitive!
Back to normal next day.

flitza

Thanks so much for this. Made it through today. Just dealing with the issue of having been told I'm going to have a lot of pain, being given pain medication, but not being able to take my LDN . I've only been on it 9 days but over most side effects and seeing significant improvement. Also scared to take my Xyrem with opiate pain meds and so facing prospect of no sleep. Geez...