• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What are the Current Reccomendations for B12 , Folate, etc...BRANDS

cman89

As many of you may know, the actual BRAND of a supplement matters quite a bit in determining its effectiveness. I was wondering what the current recommendations are (from various users, or FREDDD himself) for the most effective brands of Methylation supplements? Mainly I am looking to see if anyone has done some updated experimenting, and what they have deduced. For example, I use Jarrow and Source Naturals b12, but I havent experimented beyond this. Has anyone done so?

Eastman

I use Doctor's Best methylcobalamin and Source Naturals dibencozide.

The Doctor's Best mb12 is 1500 mcg. It comes in a capsule but still seems to have an effect on me at one a day taken orally. Later on, I dissolved it in body lotion and applied it transdermally but had to reduce the dosage to 1/8 of a capsule. Even then, it was too stimulating for me and I had to get off it for a while. I've recently restarted it at about 1/8 of a capsule twice a week.

I never could tell whether the dibencozide provided additional effects, but I was only taking about 1/8 of a tablet transdermally a week.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
A couple of years ago the recommendation from Freddd, based on personal experience and many reports from others, was (in order of effectiveness):
Methyl B12:
1) Enzymatic Therapy (most effective)
2) Country Life
3) Source Naturals

Jarrow used to be excellent MB12 but changed their product a few years ago and many people found that it lost effectiveness. I don't know what the current opinion is, or if Jarrow has changed back to the original method of production.

MB12 is one of the supplements where brand makes a significant difference in effectiveness.

Dibencozide:
1) Anabol Naturals
2) Source Naturals

Methylfolate:
As Metafolin: apparently the company that licenses Metafolin requires certain standards to be met to maintain the license, so any product listed as containing Metafolin should be ok. Solgar is popular.
As Quatrefolic: I've never read any complaints about any brand that uses Quatrefolic. I used to use Vitacost's and it was fine.

L-carnitine fumarate:
1) Doctor's Best because they use a high quality form made by Sigma-Tau of Italy.
2) Jarrow liquid carnitine is useful for those people who need to start with tiny amounts.

cman89

The Doctor's Best mb12 is 1500 mcg. It comes in a capsule but still seems to have an effect on me at one a day taken orally. Later on, I dissolved it in body lotion and applied it transdermally but had to reduce the dosage to 1/8 of a capsule. Even then, it was too stimulating for me and I had to get off it for a while. I've recently restarted it at about 1/8 of a capsule twice a week.

I never could tell whether the dibencozide provided additional effects, but I was only taking about 1/8 of a tablet transdermally a week.
the dibencozide only creates noticeable effects when one is able to do longer duration cardio type exercise, at least in my experience. When I am feeling more well, I use it before a long walk, or a hike, or some other type activity, and I can certainly notice effects on my endurance, but nothing unless I am going for a long while. Day to day living activities usually don't show an noticeable effect for me.

cman89

The dibencozide is also far less neurologically stimulating, at least from what I can tell, so you may be able to tolerate larger doses. Of course, thats all based on subjective experience, so good luck.

Timaca

It seems I can't take much B12 at all. I am trying to take it because my lab values are getting low (317) and I'm beginning to have symptoms that I think are B12 deficiency related...but boy I'm getting that wired feeling and it is awful! Anyone else get that "wired but tired" symptom from B12??? And I'm taking very little.....yesterday just 40 mcg twice! Today I will probably not take any....then try to take very small amounts....cut a gummy in 1/4s and go from there. But I need B12!

In addition to the wired symptom that I seem to be getting, I get cystic acne. That has been documented in research. It's annoying. I can manage it with a facial mask if I don't take too much B12.

I'm just hoping that the smaller dose will bring my serum levels up!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will test that when I'm home from the CFS conference. And I have been taking some larger doses....just not very much due to the acne (noticed that first) and now the wired feeling..... UGH!

cman89

It seems I can't take much B12 at all. I am trying to take it because my lab values are getting low (317) and I'm beginning to have symptoms that I think are B12 deficiency related...but boy I'm getting that wired feeling and it is awful! Anyone else get that "wired but tired" symptom from B12??? And I'm taking very little.....yesterday just 40 mcg twice! Today I will probably not take any....then try to take very small amounts....cut a gummy in 1/4s and go from there. But I need B12!

In addition to the wired symptom that I seem to be getting, I get cystic acne. That has been documented in research. It's annoying. I can manage it with a facial mask if I don't take too much B12.

I'm just hoping that the smaller dose will bring my serum levels up!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will test that when I'm home from the CFS conference. And I have been taking some larger doses....just not very much due to the acne (noticed that first) and now the wired feeling..... UGH!
What I tell people regarding this issue is that the "wired" feeling, while unpleasant to some, can also be a sign of nurotransmitters being re-activated and levels of such being bumped up compared to previous levels. This can make some people feel very stimulated. I would think that the danger lies more in depletion of other vitamins and minerals from B12 use, so taking the full B-complex and proper minerals, like magnesium and potassium, is also very important. If you feel over-stimulated taking niacin can help some people reduce the feeling. That being said, I would encourage you to not discount using b12 entirely, as it has really helped me, after I have gotten other factors in place. For example, I can build a tolerance to b12, but many herbal supplements cause issues with me, so I am trying to go just the vitamin route.

cman89

What I tell people regarding this issue is that the "wired" feeling, while unpleasant to some, can also be a sign of nurotransmitters being re-activated and levels of such being bumped up compared to previous levels. This can make some people feel very stimulated. I would think that the danger lies more in depletion of other vitamins and minerals from B12 use, so taking the full B-complex and proper minerals, like magnesium and potassium, is also very important. If you feel over-stimulated taking niacin can help some people reduce the feeling. That being said, I would encourage you to not discount using b12 entirely, as it has really helped me, after I have gotten other factors in place. For example, I can build a tolerance to b12, but many herbal supplements cause issues with me, so I am trying to go just the vitamin route.
Do you take Magnesium?

Timaca

Do you take Magnesium?
No. I don't take magnesium. As I've tried to get B12 in me in various ways.....some of those ways has been using a multi-vit....mainly because those have the lowest dose of B12. The one multi-vit that I've taken has 18 mcg of B12 and just 35% of the %DV of magnesium (140 mg). So not much... The other multivit that I've taken has no magnesium in it.

Hi all (first post but been thoroughly digesting material on this fantastic forum for last few months),
I have the same question as @cman89 .
I'm just making the switch to Freddds protocol and have just switched the hydroxy B12 I'd been taking for years for methylcobalamin. I'm in the UK and bought Natural Factors brand but have since read the brand type makes a big difference. I know that originally Fredd said the two best were Jarrow and Enzymatic therapy but then Jarrow changed and fell out of favour. Im wary of getting Enzymatic therapy because it contains fructose (I'm on a strict ketogenic diet). What is the current thinking and does Fredd have a second best recommendation to Enzy? @PatJ mentioned he had suggested Country Life at some point. I can't find that thread did he consider it a reasonable alternative?

Thanks in advance!

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
@Chantal.p

Freddd rarely visits as much as he used to. I don't know if his recommendations have changed since I was doing his treatment a couple of years ago.

Based on past recommendations the Country Life B12 is the 5mg form, product #6304 (important because their other 5mg dissolves too quickly.) Additonal ingredients in the Country Life are: Xylitol, cellulose, dextrin, l-leucine, natural flavors, silica.

In this thread Freddd mentions trying Country Life and stating that it "seemed good" but with his weirdly high demand for B12 he needs to rely on daily injections.

This thread provides a discussion of brands for the supplements required for Freddd's treatment.

If you want to find anything on PR the Google Site Search works much better than the built-in XenForo search. The only drawback is that I don't think it searches blog entries, so the XenForo search does still have a use.

@PatJ

Thank you for that! I've followed the second thread in case anything else pops up on there in future. Such a shame the enzymatic therapy one has fructose in. The country Life 5mg is a but much for me to start of with so I might go enzy and keep my fingers crossed re the fructose.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
The country Life 5mg is a but much for me to start of with so I might go enzy and keep my fingers crossed re the fructose.

You can crush (or try splitting) the 5mg Country Life tablets to reduce the dose. I don't know the influence of fructose in a ketogenic diet but I would be surprised if the small amount in a tablet would have any significant impact.

Yes - I'm still reading round on here and just been reading some peoples good reports on the CL so was thinking about splicing it! Def going for one of those two brands anyway (sure you are right about the amount of fructose in tablet not being that significant too) but as my brain has hit decision making brick wall now I will make that choice this evening!

Victronix

I've found Enzy to be significantly better than any other I've tried. I also tried to go back to Jarrow because of the fructose and then was amazed (relieved) at how much better it was when I switched back to Enzy. You don't realize it until you change something, and then it becomes clear.

I've found Enzy to be significantly better than any other I've tried. I also tried to go back to Jarrow because of the fructose and then was amazed (relieved) at how much better it was when I switched back to Enzy. You don't realize it until you change something, and then it becomes clear.

@Victronix Thanks! That's helped me make the final call - ordering now. I heard back from the company and its less than 0.5g fructose which won't affect my ketosis. As for my teeth I'll just have to brush them after, take some calcium and hope for the best! Maybe one day they will replace the fructose if we are lucky :)