• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Article: 7 Signs Of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome That People Never Notice In Time

me/cfs 27931

7 Signs Of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome That People Never Notice In Time
Rebecca Endicott (https://www.littlethings.com/author/rebecca/)
https://www.littlethings.com/chronic-fatigue-syndrome-symptoms/

Like many articles, there's some good information and a oversized quantity of misinformation. Some statements, like the disease prevalence, should have been verified and indicate a lack of fact checking on the part of the author.

But what struck me most is the very odd "treatments" section. It seems the author truly believes CFS is more discomfort than disease, and can be managed by a couple aspirin, lifestyle changes, exercise, and a nice relaxing spa treatment. :(
https://www.littlethings.com/chronic-fatigue-syndrome-symptoms/ said:
How Can You Treat Chronic Fatigue?

Remedy #1: Try A Pain Reliever

If you are experiencing a surge of chronic fatigue symptoms, your first step should be to take an over-the-counter inflammatory.

Try to stick with NSAIDs like ibuprofen and aspirin, which are both noted for helping with inflammation.

Since many CFS symptoms are believed to be linked to inflammation, taking an ordinary painkiller may help to nip the discomfort at it’s source by curbing swelling.

Remedy #2: Make Some Lifestyle Changes
Stress and anxiety are both closely linked to CFS symptoms. If you have a high-stress lifestyle and chronic fatigue, it may be a sign that you need to change the structure of your life for a healthier you.

Add at least 15 minutes of daily exercise to your routine; it’s nature’s most powerful drug for inflammation, malaise, and fatigue.

Try to cut stressors out of your life as much as possible, even if that means rearranging your work schedule or switching to a different job.

Remedy #3: Try A Physical Or Occupational Therapist
If you experience a lot of the muscle and joint pain symptoms of chronic fatigue, you may want to consider a physical therapy or occupational therapy approach.

Learning the right exercises can help to strengthen ligaments, joints, and muscles against the pain and inflammation of autoimmune response.

Further, exercise of any kind releases mood-boosting chemical cocktails that also boost your energy levels in the long-term, which might help a bit with the sense of exhaustion.

Remedy #4: Try A Relaxing Healing Treatment
Do you avoid going for spa treatments like a massage or pedicure because they seem frivolous? Now is your opportunity to turn around your thought process!

Soothing, spa-like activities, such as a massage or a body wrap, relax the mind.

At the same time, they might soothe and mellow out whatever internal triggers are causing CFS symptoms.

In other words, it’s not pampering; it’s self-care!

Remedy #5: Talk To Your Doctor
You may need to talk to your doctor, especially if your chronic fatigue symptoms start to impact your quality of life.

For lots of people, CFS symptoms go into remission and settle down if treated correctly.

A knowledgeable doctor can help you figure out the right combination of diet, exercise, medication, and lifestyle adjustment to get your body back into sync and relax some of the most uncomfortable symptoms.

If you or someone you know has chronic fatigue, be sure to SHARE to spread the word about this misunderstood illness!

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
Well, one could argue as we do here sometimes that it's better to simply divorce ME completely from chronic fatigue so that the article is not even talking about our disease (not even remotely) but about burn out, overtraining etc. the natural home of chronic fatigue.

If this is meant to be about ME than I would have to say it's pretty clueless. We experience inflammation but without swelling. And there are more remedies for inflammation than only NSAID's.

It sounds like it was cobbled together from a number of antiquated and dubious sources (so as to not plagerise word for word from one source). I expect there is no ill intent just no knowledge.

ETA: Also, if you go to the 'About Us' section of Little Things their byline is:
We believe in the Power of Positivity :rolleyes:

I'm now going to go look for a website that is about looking into developing a vaccine against magical thinking. I doubt I'll have much luck. ;)

Last edited:

me/cfs 27931

Well, one could argue as we do here sometimes that it's better to simply divorce ME completely from chronic fatigue so that the article is not even talking about our disease (not even remotely) but about burn out, overtraining etc. the natural home of chronic fatigue.
Like much of mainstream media, this article does randomly switch back and forth between Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Chronic Fatigue, and CFS (apparently using the terms synonymously). But the headline and the first part of the article are about "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome".

It also was written in the United States, where CFS and ME are essentially synonymous.

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
This is interesting advice. I didn't even know that you could get over-the-counter inflammatories.
you can buy almost anything from an online harmacy :lol:
cvs-harmacy.jpg

Manganus

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
Especially amusing, since "CVS" is the Dutch abbreviation for CFS :D
That is extremely hilarious! :redface: :lol: :woot:
It was not intentional i just know that image since it was used on the Consumerist, but its an amazing coincidence :thumbsup:

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
This is bad - really bad - but not worse than much else.

This kind of web sites are a general problem.
They publish lots of low quality material.
God knows why, but for sure it's not for any good reason.

"Little Things" appears to be a content farm:

con·tent farm
noun
noun: content farm; plural noun: content farms
  1. a website that contains very large quantities of content, typically of low quality or aggregated from other sites, generated solely to ensure that it appears high on the list of results returned by a search engine.
    "content farms dispense altogether with professional storytelling, in favor of search-engine-optimized information packaging"

Their sole function is to make a profit by selling advertising. Usually advertising that is pertinent to the story is placed on the page. I unblocked my ad blocker and an advertisement for an Ulcerative Colitis remedy came up the first time. My second visit had an ad about an entertainment venue in my city.

Usually the only standard is that the content has to be original, i.e. not plagiarized, with the one exception being short quotes from stated sources such as
The Mayo Clinic defines it as, “a complicated disorder characterized by extreme fatigue that can’t be explained by any underlying medical condition. The fatigue may worsen with physical or mental activity, but doesn’t improve with rest.”
Writers can paraphrase and just be sure that their content passes a plagiarism checker.

Wikipedia:
[.....] a content farm (or content mill) is a company that employs large numbers of freelance writers to generate large amounts of textual content which is specifically designed to satisfy algorithms for maximal retrieval by automated search engines. Their main goal is to generate advertising revenue through attracting reader page views,[1] as first exposed in the context of social spam.[2] Articles in content farms have been found to contain identical passages across several media sources, leading to questions about the sites placing search engine optimization goals over factual relevance.[3] Proponents of the content farms claim that from a business perspective, traditional journalism is inefficient.[1] Content farms often commission their writers' work based on analysis of search engine queries[1] that proponents represent as "true market demand", a feature that traditional journalism lacks.