• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Forward ME Group Minutes, March 14 meeting

Tom Kindlon

Forward ME ["charity alliance"] Group Minutes, March 14 meeting

https://goo.gl/k7gSZX
i.e.
http://www.meresearch.org.uk/news/forward-me-group-minues/ (sic)

Some extracts:

Dr Nigel Speight said that a lot of his work (and Jane Colby’s) was to do with child protection cases. Currently he was dealing with six families who were under threat of court action.

---
PACE

Dr Charles Shepherd drew attention to an open letter he had sent round containing, at the last count, 101 signatures – mostly clinicians or researchers. He thought that Psychological Medicine was unlikely to budge. Where should we go next in that case? What about a PQ to the Minister with responsibility for scientific research.

Jane Colby asked if we could buy some space for an article in a national newspaper. Charles commented that it would cost thousands.

Tony Crouch suggested a letter to The Times. Other possible publications were discussed. The Chairman said that she would table a motion for a short debate in the House after the State Opening in May.

[Tom: I imagine there's a good chance this won't happen in May because a general election has been called]

---

Dr Nigel Speight announced a primer on paediatric ME would be available on the internet. He was among the contributors.

---

Tom:
I think a problem with social workers (maybe especially in the UK) is that they can get in trouble for missing child abuse cases (including potentially losing their job) but don't get into nearly as much trouble for over-diagnosing child abuse.

I think the issue is one of fraud and misfeasance in public office. The wages of teachers and Drs and social workers are paid from public funds. Parents are finding their child's educational records and medical records tampered with plus false and manufactured statements are made. There are also issues for the equality commissioners. Discrimination at every level.

Last edited:

Binkie4

There was discussion last week on another thread about the letter @charles shepherd referred to .

@AndyPR asked AfME who haven't yet signed the letter because it supposedly has to go to their Trustees, if the Trustees had met.

AfME responded that they are meeting at the end of this week, and that the decision would be available next week.

Would be great if AfME would respond more promptly to our interests.

Binkie4

@BurnA

Can I come back to you tomorrow @BurnA? Off to read Osler's web which is my way of going to sleep. Two medical appointments tomorrow. Haven't yet sorted out index. Perhaps @AndyPR remembers. Awfully sorry am too tired tonight.