• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MEA purple book: 2017 edition now published

charles shepherd

MEA purple book: 2017 edition now published

The latest (136 page) edition of our clinical and research guidance is now available to order through the books section in our online shop:

http://www.meassociation.org.uk/shop/books/

or by phone to Gill or Helen at our office on 01280 818 968.

We still have funds available in our Medical Education Programme to send free copies to health professionals in the UK

More info:

http://www.meassociation.org.uk/201...earch-masterwork-now-available-19-april-2017/

Dr Charles Shepherd
Hon Medical Adviser, MEA

Purple-book-2017-front-cover-copy-2.jpg

charles shepherd

Can this be made available as a downloadable option? I'd be happy to pay for it, but I'd like a searchable version rather than a book. Also shipping is usually quite expensive.

We will be discussing the possibility of creating a pdf e-version, or kindle version, of the MEA purple book next week

We appreciate the cost of sending copies abroad - 50 copies have just gone to New Zealand at enormous expense!

We are also discussing sale of the book in commercial bookshops like Waterstones

CS

Thank you @charles shepherd for all your continuing hard work on this valuable resource.

I gave the previous edition to my doctor. Can you say whether it's worth getting you to send her the new edition - can you briefly tell us what is new?

While you're considering options, it occurs to me that you could consider making it more 'book shaped'. At present it's large and thin, which is not a handy shape for carrying about or fitting on bookshelves, and has the more ephemeral feel of a magazine or journal. It also means there's a lot of print on each page, which can be daunting especially for ME sufferers. Though I do understand it's intended for doctors, so maybe has more of a textbook page layout which they are used to, so maybe I'm talking nonsense.

As well as the previously suggested electronic version, would/could you consider turning this very useful publiation into a phone app?

Countrygirl

I have just ordered two copies, costing £8 each.

I refused to go be admitted to hospital this week after what is considered to be a stroke as the last time I was taken in for a similar reason the A&E doctor told me to expect to be treated 'unkindly' there as they don't like people with a diagnosis of ME. They 'assured' me it was a just fictitious label given only to the mentally ill. I left and have refused to return. I now seem to have little choice but to go into the stroke unit and want a copy of Charles's book pinned to my chest as a defence. Hope it works.

charles shepherd

Thank you @charles shepherd for all your continuing hard work on this valuable resource.

I gave the previous edition to my doctor. Can you say whether it's worth getting you to send her the new edition - can you briefly tell us what is new?

While you're considering options, it occurs to me that you could consider making it more 'book shaped'. At present it's large and thin, which is not a handy shape for carrying about or fitting on bookshelves, and has the more ephemeral feel of a magazine or journal. It also means there's a lot of print on each page, which can be daunting especially for ME sufferers. Though I do understand it's intended for doctors, so maybe has more of a textbook page layout which they are used to, so maybe I'm talking nonsense.

The main additions and changes in the 2017 edition are:

1 A one page Research update covering all key developments since May 2016 - when the last book was published

2 A one page Treatment update covering key developments from clinical trials etc over the same period

3 Updated info on PACE trial data release and analysis and the NICE guideline review

4 About 30 new key references covering significant research papers published during the period May 2016 to April 2017 - making around 600 key papers in all

5 An expanded section on children and adolescents which now covers education and child protection in much more detail

6 Minor additions to the text throughout

Tony is going to place the new pages on the MEA website in due course - for the benefit of anyone who has the 2016 edition

MEA website: www.meassociation.org.uk

We have discussed size of the book on several occasions and come to the conclusion that the word count per page is not excessive and that an A4 presentation is the best format for health professionals

CS

mango