• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Host a screening of Unrest; raise money for research!

Cheesus

The launch of Jen Brea's documentary Unrest could be the perfect opportunity to fundraise.

I have just submitted a request to host a screening of Unrest on my mum's behalf. She works at a local university. The plan currently is to host a screening at the university - ideally in the medical school if we can swing it, though that is not a foregone conclusion.

Hopefully we will be able to attract local patients, their friends and families, medical students, maybe a research team that is working on ME at the university, and anyone else we can convince to come along. We would then sell tickets, and anything extra over and above the costs required for the screening can then go towards an ME research charity. With some gentle coaxing I am sure we could persuade people to dig deep.

Is the documentary screening process suitable to this kind of endeavour, @JenB?

What do others think of this idea? Would people be able to adopt it in their local area? Many universities allow anyone to hire facilities, and you might even be able to do it for free if you tell them it is a fundraising event.

Here is the link where you can request a screening: http://www.unrest.film/host-a-screening/

Last edited:
The launch of Jen Brea's documentary Unrest could be the perfect opportunity to fundraise.

I have just submitted a request to host a screening of Unrest on my mum's behalf. She works at a local university. The plan currently is to host a screening at the university
Here is the link where you can request a screening: http://www.unrest.film/host-a-screening/

Goldsmiths? and University of Bristol?
anyone got any contacts?

Cheesus

Goldsmiths? and University of Bristol?
anyone got any contacts?

Newcastle. Couldn't really be further away and still inside England. Sorry!

You should be able to contact the university yourself and request venue hire in one of their lecture halls even if you have no affiliation to the university.

Cheesus

I had a reply to my request to host a screening:

Thanks so much for reaching out. We are in the process of planning the film's impact campaign, and will be launching a series of community and grassroots screenings this fall. We will definitely reach out about the possibility of having you host a screening at the University of Newcastle at that time. The groups you're describing are exactly those we want to see the film.

We look forward to being in touch in the coming months.

Seven7

Seven
I have also access to organize a screening and also a great reaserch university.

My issue is I always like to see first. Since you are the organizer of you invite the local press and reaserchers I would love to be prepared and not being caught off guard. So I will hold until I see it then organize something

Cheesus

I have also access to organize a screening and also a great reaserch university.

My issue is I always like to see first. Since you are the organizer of you invite the local press and reaserchers I would love to be prepared and not being caught off guard. So I will hold until I see it then organize something

I like to live dangerously :D

But seriously, I have faith in Jen and the reviews from reputable sources. Also i am pretty sure we will be sent a DVD, so my mum and I will no doubt watch it before the actual event. Unless I make miraculous progress before autumn, I won't be at the screening anyway, so you can be sure that I am going to watch it at home if I can get my hands on a copy.

We're thinking of asking Julia Newton, who is the lead ME researcher at Newcastle, if she might do a Q&A afterwards. Obviously this is highly speculative and she might not even want to come, but that would at least deflect some of the attention towards actual professionals.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
I signed up to host a screening - hopefully at Aberystwyth University, where my husband works, but have heard nothing back = that was a few months ago. I didn't even get a message.

Cheesus

I signed up to host a screening - hopefully at Aberystwyth University, where my husband works, but have heard nothing back = that was a few months ago. I didn't even get a message.

Maybe try again? I got a personal response pretty much straight away, then I got another generic response a while later.

*GG*

It will be. I am waiting for them to launch the community screenings, which will be in Autumn.

Oh, that sucks, Autumn is not going to leave much time to line things up before a nasty winter might arrive, which will not help the numbers of people to show up!

GG

Cheesus

Oh, that sucks, Autumn is not going to leave much time to line things up before a nasty winter might arrive, which will not help the numbers of people to show up!

GG

On the other hand, we want to screen it at a university, but deadlines are looming then students will be away for Summer, so Autumn might be ideal for catching people when they're on campus and not too busy.

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
I thought I'd add this for anyone interested especially in the UK.

People have been wondering when there will be a UK premiere. While I have not yet looked at anywhere but London, Oxford and Cambridge (they all have Doc festivals) I think the London festival may have happened too early in the year this year to host a premiere.

But this link: http://www.lidf.co.uk/contact-us/ for London

offers anyone the chance to suggest Unrest for 2018. Wouldn't that be great!

ETA:
I've tweeted the Ox/Cam festivals about the film.

Last edited:

Groggy Doggy

I just heard you have to pay the Unrest team $250 if you want to screen it. Does anyone know if this is correct? This price may nix out any thoughts I have about showing Unrest in my home to family and friends.

I don't know anything about film pricing, but the price you quoted sounds pretty reasonable to me. Unrest has production and ongoing costs to cover, and ticket sales should easily cover this and leave some for venue hire and fund raising if you sell tickets at cinema prices and use a big enough venue.

I guess in a year or two they might start selling it as a DVD or try to get it onto something like Netflix. That's the stage I'd hope to see it myself and show to friends and family.

*GG*

GG

I just responded to an email I got about 1 month ago, will see what I need to do to try to make this happen locally for me.

GG

fingers2022

Anymore thoughts on this?
The pic with the electrodes on the head is very US...will it work in the UK?
We don't really do that kindashit...more stoical than that, not into glitzy marketing stuff.
Makes me sceptical...no wheelchairs...sure I also carried my son on my back... up a steep hill actually, both of us with ME.
Do we really think that public, medics, social services, educationlists will go for the electrodes??

Binkie4

It's almost autumn now, so community screenings should be happening soon. Did you ever get a msg back about screening one? Would like to attend ( but not in Aberystwyth because that's so far) but just wondering if there is a schedule of screenings. Anyone know?
@fingers i expect all the visual stuff is already planned and prepared so am going to assume it will work.

fingers2022

I
@fingers i expect all the visual stuff is already planned and prepared so am going to assume it will work.
Why?
Also, when you say 'work'...achieving what? I think this effort is engaging loads of folk with ME, but not reaching the people who need to be reached....IMHO

Binkie4

I haven't seen it yet so cannot comment on the detail of the film.

But yes, I agree it needs to reach beyond the ME community.