• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Numbness when sleeping anyone ?

Dechi

Somedays I get numbness and dull pain from simple pressure on different body parts. To avoid it, I don't cross my legs or rest my arms on top of the other.

Except when I sleep. I don't sleep on my back, only on my side or stomach. Which means my legs or arms are resting on top of another. So every 3-4 minutes, I need to change positions because it hurts. Also folding my left arm will have the same numbing effect and hurt after 2-3 minutes (the right one doesn't). Sometimes the weight of the blankets annoy me also. On those nights it's hard to sleep because I toss and turn so much. I spread my legs and arms in my queen bed and I pretty much occupy the whole space, which helps for a while until I need to move again. I have decided to try and learn to sleep on my back, in case it gets even worse and I don't have a choice anymore.

Anyone else has this annoying problem ?

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
I always used to sleep on my front. However since having ME sleeping on my front or side makes my headaches worse, so I've retrained myself to sleep on my back, which is my most headache-relieving position. Just sharing that after a lifetime of sleeping in one position, it was possible for me to learn to sleep on my back.

Dechi

I always used to sleep on my front. However since having ME sleeping on my front or side makes my headaches worse, so I've retrained myself to sleep on my back, which is my most headache-relieving position. Just sharing that after a lifetime of sleeping in one position, it was possible for me to learn to sleep on my back.

I am happy to hear that ! ;-). Did you have any particular retraining technique ?

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
I am happy to hear that ! ;-). Did you have any particular retraining technique ?
Nope, just did it and got used to it. It helped that every time I rolled onto my side or front my headache got worse, so I had that constant reminder. I was pleased and relieved that it was possible to change the habit of a lifetime though, I now sleep like a log on my back, it has become my position.

ghosalb

yes...numbness happens to me all the time for at least last ten years....some locations on my body last for days or weeks but eventually always gets better...happens in all sleeping positions but least when on my back

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Have you tried putting a very large pillow between your legs? I have a cheap body pillow that I fold in half.