• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Inosine

Horizon

Has anyone tried the supplement Inosine and have any feedback? It is supposed to help "athletic performance" and potentially act as an immunomodulator?

halcyon

I have used it for a brief time. The first day it gave me a fever of 100.8, leg pain and a sore throat. The sore throat lasted over a week. I eventually stopped it as it seemed to be a bit too stimulating on my immune system.

Mary

Moderator Resource
Has anyone tried the supplement Inosine and have any feedback? It is supposed to help "athletic performance" and potentially act as an immunomodulator?

I took it for many months a couple of years ago. It boosted my energy a little for awhile, but eventually that wore off, and finally I stopped taking it. It was nice for awhile.

Hugo

Im taking inosine, if you are taking it its important to pulse your intake. First week you can take 4 or 6 pills (500mg) every workday and weekends of. Next week its just two pills every workday and no during weekends and then start with the 4 or 6 next week as you did the first week . After a couple of month you will take an entire month off. Its important to drink a lot when you on it since it increase uric acid level.

Its not used for its athletic performance (if there is any) for ME its considerd an immune modulator and increase uric acid level. Uric acid can have neuroprotective properties, some people with ME use it instead of immunovir even though its not exactly the same (heres sues experience) http://www.prohealth.com/library/showarticle.cfm?libid=19235

Its been tested on MS https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19425822

Last edited:

Never Give Up

Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.
My son has been on it for 2 1/2 years. After an initial worsening of symptoms it lifted some of his cognitive symptoms, difficulty holding himself up, walking and speaking, and some of his flu symptoms. He is on a low dose of one 500mg cap/day, he was unable to tolerate a higher dose.

There were old threads like http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/inosine-reaction.18758/ , but it does seem like it could use an update in 2017.
It's one of the more intriguing substances (owing to its power), but a lot of literature seems to characterize it as immunosuppressive, which seems contrary to a lot of anecdotes. I think the copout explanation was that it had "normalizing" effects, but I failed to understand (effects on NK cells dominate?). One of the doctors must know how it works.

To me only the uric acid effect was familiar (brewer's yeast and sardines).

Last edited:

Hugo

There were old threads like http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/inosine-reaction.18758/ , but it does seem like it could use an update in 2017.
It's one of the more intriguing substances (owing to its power), but a lot of literature seems to characterize it as immunosuppressive, which seems contrary to a lot of anecdotes. I think the copout explanation was that it had "normalizing" effects, but I failed to understand (effects on NK cells dominate?). One of the doctors must know how it works.

To me only the uric acid effect was familiar (brewer's yeast and sardines).

To me it seems like it keeps infections away since I had no infections when used it (a year now). There are some interesting studies regarding uric acid levels in autoimmune diseases. If I remember correctly Dr Cheney noticed in his testing that uric acid levels where low in most of his ME patients and that seems to be the case in a lot of autoimmune diseases aswell.

Michael Foxs foundations (research in treatment for Parkinsons) have made some studies on inosine. Aparantly it seems like the patients who had higher uric acid levels got less symptoms so therefore they wanted to try inosine.
https://www.michaeljfox.org/foundation/grant-detail.php?grant_id=403

To me it seems like it keeps infections away since I had no infections when used it (a year now). There are some interesting studies regarding uric acid levels in autoimmune diseases. If I remember correctly Dr Cheney noticed in his testing that uric acid levels where low in most of his ME patients and that seems to be the case in a lot of autoimmune diseases aswell.

Michael Foxs foundations (research in treatment for Parkinsons) have made some studies on inosine. Aparantly it seems like the patients who had higher uric acid levels got less symptoms so therefore they wanted to try inosine.
https://www.michaeljfox.org/foundation/grant-detail.php?grant_id=403

The whole immune aspect is of course interesting. But I was especially interested in its metabolic fate, or figuring out how much ingested inosine/IMP becomes uric acid and how much gets salvaged, since although the dominant view is purines turn to uric acid in humans (save guanine?), it's not black and white. I couldn't figure this out from the numbers in the studies. If uric acid is its only meaningful fate it's kind of a dead end.

eljefe19

I thought Inosine was used to shift the immune response towards th1, but I found a few sources saying that Inosine inhibits the th1 response and boosts the th2 response. I would steer clear of this one personally.

Hugo

I thought Inosine was used to shift the immune response towards th1, but I found a few sources saying that Inosine inhibits the th1 response and boosts the th2 response. I would steer clear of this one personally.

Can you link to the sources?

eljefe19

Here is one that showed that Inosine downregulated TNF-a (a th1 cytokine) and increased IL-4 (a th2 cytokine).

On the other hand, Immunovir (prescription version of Inosine) was found to increase IFN-gamma (th1) and TNF-a and decreased IL-10 (th2).

eljefe19

Yes seems like it's a mild th2 shifter, whereas Isoprinine is a strong th1 immune stimulant. I found a source too, PM me if you want it at a decent price.

Hugo

It may be possible even though a small study on mice is not the same as on humans. But theres other studies on humans for MS for example and they also reach the same conclusion as the mice studies. Thats interesting, I read those MS studies before and for some reason didnt reflect on the Th1 and Th2 findings. If it raise one kind of Th2 cytokine and lower another cytokine of Th1 its a suprise I get rather good results from it. If I have to speculate as you say the raise in Th2 and lowering of Th1 is not that big in inosine. Maybe its the antioxidant effect of uric acid that does the trick for me and other people.

In immunovir we have two substanses so its kind of strange that for example dr Meirler say that inosine can be used instead when its possible that it may not to be the case. Maybe I should try to get hold of Immunovir to try that one but its really expensive and I dont think its possible through a doctor in my country. Or make immunovir by mixing the components.. maybe not a good idea though since im not an expert in chemistry ;-)

fireflymd

Anabol Naturals is the brand that most people seem to use.

https://www.amazon.com/Anabol-Naturals-Inosine-960-Capsules/dp/B006HO9XFG

Ecological Formulas also has an Inosine. I thought the Life Extension one was somehow different.

I'm wondering about the efficacy of Inosine if Life Extension opted to discontinue it, and not many companies make one?

There may be no answer to this--just thought if a supplement was effective, that other supplement companies would get on board.