• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mestinon

me/cfs 27931

Now taking 60mg Mestinon three times a day after a week of 30mg.

Some odd immune stuff. A small cold sore (even though I'm on 2g Valtrex). Face is breaking out... been a long time since that happened.

Feeling flu-like/PEM-like immune symptoms, but I'm not in PEM (at least I don't think I am).

It just seems my immune system is a bit confused on Mestinon right now.

Sancar

Sick of being sick ~
Hi
Now taking 60mg Mestinon three times a day after a week of 30mg.

Some odd immune stuff. A small cold sore (even though I'm on 2g Valtrex). Face is breaking out... been a long time since that happened.

Feeling flu-like/PEM-like immune symptoms, but I'm not in PEM (at least I don't think I am).

It just seems my immune system is a bit confused on Mestinon right now.
@Webdog ~ Thanks for your update. How long will you keep taking this current dose? Do think you can keep it up to see if it's worth while?

me/cfs 27931

I haven't seen any improvement on Mestinon yet, but according to my doctor that's not unexpected. 60mg three times daily is still considered a "low dose".

I'll be increasing to 90mg tid for a week, then another increase after that. I'll post again in a week or so.

Rrrr

@Webdog

thank you for your updates. i will be starting mestinon tomorrow. unlike you, i have no super powers and thus i will start at a tiny tiny tiny dose. (i react badly to most meds.)

Gingergrrl

@Webdog
thank you for your updates. i will be starting mestinon tomorrow. unlike you, i have no super powers and thus i will start at a tiny tiny tiny dose. (i react badly to most meds.)

Good luck and I hope you do well with the Mestinon. Are you trying it for POTS or for a neuromuscular illness?

me/cfs 27931

Now increasing to 90mg Mestinon four times daily. In a week I check back with my neurologist.

Still not seeing improvement. Eyelid droop is still there. Still feel weak, and facial expression takes effort.

Most of the side-effects have subsided, which is good.
  • Some anxiety, but definitely decreased.
  • Sores on my face and back are nearly all healed.
  • Sleep is back to normal (for me).
  • Tinnitus is now barely noticeable.
  • No more loose stools.
  • Feeling a minor energy boost past couple days (hoping it continues).

Sancar

Sick of being sick ~
Now increasing to 90mg Mestinon four times daily. In a week I check back with my neurologist.

Still not seeing improvement. Eyelid droop is still there. Still feel weak, and facial expression takes effort.

Most of the side-effects have subsided, which is good.
  • Some anxiety, but definitely decreased.
  • Sores on my face and back are nearly all healed.
  • Sleep is back to normal (for me).
  • Tinnitus is now barely noticeable.
  • No more loose stools.
  • Feeling a minor energy boost past couple days (hoping it continues).
Hi @Webdog ~ how are you doing these days with the Mestinon? Any noticeable improvements? Side effects?
I was thrilled to hear about the Tinnitus! Mine has me going on insane at times. Especially when I try to fall asleep.

Are you taking it along with other meds, such as an anti viral? Thank you for your post.

me/cfs 27931

Hi @Webdog ~ how are you doing these days with the Mestinon? Any noticeable improvements? Side effects?
I was thrilled to hear about the Tinnitus! Mine has me going on insane at times. Especially when I try to fall asleep.

Are you taking it along with other meds, such as an anti viral? Thank you for your post.
@Sancar I chatted with my neurologist yesterday, and he concluded I'm not responding to Mestinon, so there is no point to trying a higher dose.

I've begun tapering off.

To answer your question: yes, I was taking Mestinon along with Valtrex 2g/day (and also LDN 9mg).

PS: Hope you get a better response. :)

Sancar

Sick of being sick ~
@Gingergrrl ~ :redface: Thank you for encouragement...hope you continuing to do well! I'm up to 30 mg of Mestinon. I don't notice any improvements so far. I'll try it till I tirate up to full dose and hope for the best. Same as Webdog. We are all so different with what protocols works and don't work for each of us:cool:... No magic bean for us, shucks:rofl:...

Gingergrrl

@Gingergrrl ~ :redface: Thank you for encouragement...hope you continuing to do well! I'm up to 30 mg of Mestinon. I don't notice any improvements so far. I'll try it till I tirate up to full dose and hope for the best. Same as Webdog. We are all so different with what protocols works and don't work for each of us:cool:... No magic bean for us, shucks:rofl:...

Thanks for the update and hoping the 30 mg will work for you @Sancar. Very true there is no magic bean for us. Maybe some day... :pill::star:

me/cfs 27931

Just wanted to give an update.

I've been off Mestinon for nearly a week now and feel better (back to my "normal" homebound moderate+ ME/CFS).

While on Mestinon, I felt weaker with more bedbound days . Also, some of my old neuro symptoms, such as stumbling, blurred vision and breathing issues worsened. Normally, I'm able to manage those and keep them under control.

Mestinon didn't help me, but hopefully may help others.

me/cfs 27931

Definitely felt better after stopping the Mestinon.

Curiously, although I didn't respond to Mestinon, my neurologist says he hasn't ruled out a diagnosis of Myasthenia Gravis. I am currently diagnosed with Myasthenia (muscle weakness), as some testing abnormalities did show up.

Sancar

Sick of being sick ~
@Webdog ~ I too could not take the Mestinon. I had to stop. I was having Vertigo sytoms separtate from what I get with my POTS. It also caused my BP to rise.

How did you arrive at or get the diagnosis of Myasthenia? I would appreciate knowing. My Muscles have become encreasingly weak, as I'm sure many others have experienced as well. Thanks...

Last edited:

me/cfs 27931

@Webdog How did you arrive at or get the diagnosis of Myasthenia? I would appreciate knowing. My Muscles have become encreasingly weak, as I'm sure many others have experienced as well. Thanks...
My new neurologist did a nerve conduction test, where he stimulated muscles with electrodes. Some of it, particularly the facial muscle test, was excruciatingly painful.

From the abnormal results of the nerve conduction test, he gave me a diagnosis of Myasthenia. But the results weren't abnormal enough for a diagnosis of Myasthenia Gravis, although this wasn't ruled out either.

I'm also pursuing testing for another condition which can also cause symptoms I'm experiencing (eyelid droop, stumbling, dropping things, double vision, etc). @Gingergrrl message me if you're interested, as I don't want to derail this Mestinon thread.

Gingergrrl

@Gingergrrl message me if you're interested, as I don't want to derail this Mestinon thread.

I will PM you probably on Sun after am done w/this round of IVIG. I am curious about your EMG and nerve conduction test and also cannot remember if you were tested for autoantibodies (MuSK Panel for MG, Calcium Autoantibodies for LEMS/other conditions, Paraneoplastic Panel, Cell Trend in Germany, etc). I know we've talked about this but am not remembering the details at the moment :D.

bombsh3ll

I tried Mestinon for OI/POTS. I started low and gradually titrated up to the maximum dose. Helped my bowels move but absolutely no other effects either positive or negative. Certainly no help with orthostatic intolerance. I kept the remainder in case I ever need an additional laxative. Obviously some people will run into problems with certain meds and I do tend to be very sensitive to some but need equine doses of others, but I would generally regard this as a very safe and innocuous med to try compared to other things out there.