• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Weakness in arms

outdamnspot

I've been having difficulty with extreme weakness in my arms lately. I notice it in particular when I'm trying to text people over the phone; it feels like a profound strain and my arms simply can't generate the requisite strength to force the words out (though typing on a laptop is easier for whatever reason). Does anyone know what could possibly be causing this?

I am taking a herb to treat my gut (Oil of Oregano) and am experiencing potential 'die-off', which is worsening all of my symptoms, so that may be the culprit; though it was there to a certain degree beforehand as well.

One thing that worries me is I don't replace Magnesium. I am on a strict Keto diet and know that Magnesium is lost in the process (alongside Sodium and Potassium); but trying to supplement with Mg (even low does of transdermal Mg) crashes my adrenals. I try to get what I can through food, but know I am not meeting the recommended 300mg+.

Dechi

It sounds like lactic acid build-up, well known amongst pwME. I have it almost non-stop, in all muscles of my body, including the jaw sometimes. Writing with a pen or pencil is not possible for more than a few minutes anymore. Unfortunately I haven't found a way to get rid of this. I have read amino acids ca help, but have yet to try it.

Kati

Patient in training
Hi @outdamnspot if you are unable to text due to arm weakness, it might be best to see a medical doctor to get to the bottom of your problem.

Die-off is a specific term used for lyme disease, i am not sure it applies here. 'Crashing your adrenals' is also not a medical concept.

Perhaps blood work to check out electolytes and hormones will give you and your doctor feedback as of exactly what is happening.

Diwi9

Administrator
Unfortunately I haven't found a way to get rid of this. I have read amino acids ca help, but have yet to try it.
I get arm weakness, especially in my forearms. I think that some people report improvement after AlkaSelter Gold. I've tried it, but haven't experienced much improvement with it.

Dechi

I get arm weakness, especially in my forearms. I think that some people report improvement after AlkaSelter Gold. I've tried it, but haven't experienced much improvement with it.

I would be scared to take this on a permanent basis though.

rosie26

I used to get arm weakness quite bad in my severe years. Holding a book in bed would cause aching and more weakness. Also I couldn't hold a phone to my ear for long, it felt so heavy. Just shows you how weak we get with this illness, when you find holding a phone too heavy, bizarre.

Some days were better than others and I was able to do a bit of reading but had to be careful not to induce more PEM.

I find typing on the computer more a problem now. I guess because I don't read books much now since I have had a laptop. I am a bit addicted to a computer game and log into it few times a day and proceed to give myself aching fingers and hands and then the PEM.

alex3619

I am a bit addicted to a computer game and log into it few times a day and proceed to give myself aching fingers and hands and then the PEM.
Never happens to me! Oh, except last night. I have started playing Witcher 3 again. ... and all the other times. Oh, all right, I am known for it, though I try to pace myself in a good game I often fail.

My arm weakness is moving up into my shoulders now.

rosie26

Never happens to me! Oh, except last night. I have started playing Witcher 3 again. ... and all the other times. Oh, all right, I am known for it, though I try to pace myself in a good game I often fail.

My arm weakness is moving up into my shoulders now.
A couple of years ago I came across a website where you could play chess with others. I can't remember the name of it. I used to play chess many years ago but have forgotten some of the game now.

Sounds like you have some severe ME there with the arm weakness. I hope it eases up for you. I have been getting some symptoms lately which remind me of my lead up to severe ME. Hoping it's a passing thing and not a build up.

barbc56

In the past year I have developed intermittent arm weakness but it only happens after my FM pain starts. The more pain I'm in seems to exacerbate the weakness

Can pain cause this?

alex3619

For me, arm weakness is a sign I have done something wrong. As soon as I put things back in balance it will go away.

However I had severe arm pain for more than fifteen years, though that is another problem. Only after fifteen years of careful activity, that is not aggravating the muscles, did it start to fade. It still flares up from time to time. This included other issues with doing anything, not just pain, but its hard to describe. I would not be entirely happy calling it weakness. It was more an inability to direct my muscles to make them do what I want. Weakness is different.

Wishful

My arms are weaker too, at least in some ways. I think I can still lift heavy things normally, but holding my arms in certain positions makes them feel strained far sooner than they would have before ME.