• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cost of Rituximab treatment privately

Riley

Wow! That is a hell of alot of money!
Thanks anyway
It is, but it's a bargain compared to the cost in the US. I think it costs $40,000+ here (sorry it's been a while since I read about it. I don't remember the exact number).

Gingergrrl

It is, but it's a bargain compared to the cost in the US. I think it costs $40,000+ here (sorry it's been a while since I read about it. I don't remember the exact number).

Unless you can get insurance to cover it. This process will take a long time but is always worth investigating IMO (for those in the U.S.).

Butydoc

Hi Riley,
In California, 500mg cost the hospital approximately $3,700 per the drug representative from Genetic.

Best,
Gary

Gingergrrl

In California, 500mg cost the hospital approximately $3,700 per the drug representative from Genetic.

I assume this is just for the Rituximab (RTX) itself and does not include the infusion costs, supplies, other fees/charges, etc? Does this mean that insurance (if it covers RTX) is billed $3700 just for the 500 mg of RTX? I still have no idea if I will be able to get RTX but my insurance is billed about $16K for each day of IVIG (for all of the charges, not just the med, but the grand total) and my part is around $300 to $350 (not sure why it varies)? I can't imagine that RTX is less than IVIG but maybe it is?

Butydoc

I assume this is just for the Rituximab (RTX) itself and does not include the infusion costs, supplies, other fees/charges, etc? Does this mean that insurance (if it covers RTX) is billed $3700 just for the 500 mg of RTX? I still have no idea if I will be able to get RTX but my insurance is billed about $16K for each day of IVIG (for all of the charges, not just the med, but the grand total) and my part is around $300 to $350 (not sure why it varies)? I can't imagine that RTX is less than IVIG but maybe it is?
Hi Gingergrrl,

I believe the hospital cost is $3700, but charge much more. For my first infusion, my fee including all cost was $8500. The oncologist is a friend and isn't charging me his fee and only charging me he cost for 1000mg and infusion cost.

Best,
Gary

Butydoc

If you are comfortable doing so, please let us know how you respond. Was this your first infusion?
Hi Sushi,

Yes, this was my first infusion. It took 8 hours. I had a few episodes of mild allergic reaction and tachycardia which responded to iv benadryl. My health had deteriorated prior to the first infusion so it is somewhat confusing as to how much the infusion made me more symptomatic. My second infusion is scheduled in 6 days.

My decision to start Retuximab was because of my unusual family history. My mother had CFS/ME and Tayayasu,s arteritis, an autoimmune disease, my brother died from multiple sclerosis, my other brother has CFS/ME as does two of three of my children. I'm the test monkey for my family.

Best,
Gary

Gingergrrl

@Butydoc thank you for sharing about your experience and will be thinking of you and praying for an amazing outcome.

I am very interested in your infusion speed, how much total fluid volume you received, and some questions that may not pertain to others (although they may and are important info)!

I think you do not have MCAS if I am remembering correctly? Did you test positive for any autoantibodies prior to RTX?

Thank you in advance for any info!

Butydoc

@Butydoc thank you for sharing about your experience and will be thinking of you and praying for an amazing outcome.

I am very interested in your infusion speed, how much total fluid volume you received, and some questions that may not pertain to others (although they may and are important info)!

I think you do not have MCAS if I am remembering correctly? Did you test positive for any autoantibodies prior to RTX?

Thank you in advance for any info!
I received 1 1/2 liters of 1/2 normal saline. The first 100mg of Retuximab was given over 3 hours. The infusion center has an extensive experience with this drug and claim most infusion reaction occur around 2 -3 hour after the infusion has started. The most common reaction they see is chills/fever. The infusion nurse claims that she hasn't seen any reactions after the patient leaves the infusion center but has never treated someone with CFS/ME.

In terms of MCAS, no one in my family has shown any signs of allergic symptom including me except when receiving Retuximab. My entire family including me are in a gene expression study with Dr Alan and Kathleen Light. Hopefully I will receive some results soon.

Sorry for taking this thread off topic.

Best,
Gary

Last edited:

Gingergrrl

Sorry for taking this thread off topic.

I don't think you did b/c you quoted the price that you pay privately (if I understood you correctly) and the thread was about the price. I was very curious if the price you quoted was just for the RTX or the total cost which you explained and was what I'd suspected. I really appreciate the info and I think others will, too.

I received 1 1/2 liters of 1/2 normal saline.

This is how OMI normally does it as well but I can only receive 1/4 to 1/2 liter of fluid total per day (which works when we split my IVIG into 3-days) and I think RTX would have to be done in the hospital for me which will probably make it not an option which is such a bummer (unless I win the lottery). Thank you again for the info.