• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

23andme results help needed :)

Hello,

I have received results for my sons 23.me. I was wondering if anyone could help me with the results?
He has been quite challenging since he was 2 years old. Very intelligent boy but sometimes he is just very difficult to manage. I have used Yasko site to interpret 23me raw data. Would love some insight cheers

COMT V158M +/+
COMT H62H +/+ TT
COMT 61 -/-
VDR Taq Tt
VDR Fok Ff
MAO A R297R +/+ TT
ACAT 1-02 +/-
MTHFR C677T +/-
MTRR 11 +/- CBS C699T +/-
CBS A360A +/+ AA

MTHFR C677T +/- means that enzyme activity is reduced to 65% of optimum. But due to the MTHFR mutations being extremely common, the average is 70%, which makes you pretty normal. The rest of those SNPs are pretty irrelevant.

MTHFR C677T +/- means that enzyme activity is reduced to 65% of optimum. But due to the MTHFR mutations being extremely common, the average is 70%, which makes you pretty normal. The rest of those SNPs are pretty irrelevant.

COMT and MAO Homozygous is irrelevant? now I am confused.

COMT and MAO Homozygous is irrelevant? now I am confused.
Two of those SNPs are completely irrelevant. COMT H62H and MAOA R297R do nothing. COMT V158M has an impact on that gene, but there's no connection with methylation demonstrated, just the usual baseless speculation.

The symbol for the protein before and after the position number is the same. Hence those SNPs are in coding regions of the gene, but result in no change to the protein.

Thanks again for your reply.. could you point towards studies regarding the above.. I would love to read about it .. cheers.

Thanks again for your reply.. could you point towards studies regarding the above.. I would love to read about it .. cheers.
It's basic genetics. Synonymous variants won't have an impact. Coursera has some introductory classes which will help with these concepts.