• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

LDN Becoming FDA-approved Drug?

I saw my rheumatologist this morning who said there is a phase 3 clinical trial going on for LDN (assume for Crohn's or another AI condition). He believes it will become an FDA-approved drug and then patented, which then means a potential increase in price. Anyone else know about this? I am having good results three weeks in and would be devastated if I suddenly need insurance approval to make the drug affordable. I pay $65 for 60 1.5 mg tablets from People's RX in Austin. I can't imagine paying hundreds of dollars because I need it for an off-label use and insurance won't approve it.

Hugo

Maybe it could be an advantage aswell if it will be FDA-approved and patented. It may lead to more research and possible an even more effective LDN. If its patented maybe that will mean just a low mg version (in the LDN range) and maybe not the ordinary Naltrexone. The ordinary Naltrexone is not that expensive and as Webdog explains in the LDN thread its not hard to dissolve it water (I would use distilled water) and do your own LDN.

Maybe it could be an advantage aswell if it will be FDA-approved and patented. It may lead to more research and possible an even more effective LDN. If its patented maybe that will mean just a low mg version (in the LDN range) and maybe not the ordinary Naltrexone. The ordinary Naltrexone is not that expensive and as Webdog explains in the LDN thread its not hard to dissolve it water (I would use distilled water) and do your own LDN.

My rheumatologist seems to think they would have patented 1.5, 3, 4.5, and possibly 6 mg pills, which would be great (if affordable). I talked about dissolving it with him, if it gets to that point.

perchance dreamer

@lcnewross, I live in Austin, too. I have not yet tried LDN, but Kendal Stewart, my chronic fatigue/fibro doctor, prescribes transdermal LDN. My nurse there gets hers at Lake Hills Pharmacy. You might check with them to see what their price is and if they compound other forms of LDN that are not trandermal. Austin Compounding on Bee Caves also compounds LDN.

These compounding pharmacies are pretty expensive, though.

Hugo

I am just impressed he keeps up with the LDN research! He is a good doctor if people need recommendations for the Austin, Texas area. PM if you do!

Great to have a good rheumatologist.

Maybe if the new patented drug will be a reality it will be cheaper after all. Since the compounding is rather expensive.

jpcv

I saw my rheumatologist this morning who said there is a phase 3 clinical trial going on for LDN (assume for Crohn's or another AI condition). He believes it will become an FDA-approved drug and then patented, which then means a potential increase in price. Anyone else know about this? I am having good results three weeks in and would be devastated if I suddenly need insurance approval to make the drug affordable. I pay $65 for 60 1.5 mg tablets from People's RX in Austin. I can't imagine paying hundreds of dollars because I need it for an off-label use and insurance won't approve it.
Icnewross, why did your doctor decide to prescribe LDN, anything special?

Icnewross, why did your doctor decide to prescribe LDN, anything special?

He has had good success with it, specifically controlling pain and helping with sleep. He sees me for fibromyalgia specifically. I have seen improvements with both in three weeks at 1.5 mg. I also have had mild improvement with fatigue (more natural energy) and the wired-but-tired feeling has decreased.

perchance dreamer

@lcnewross, did the LDN give you any initial sleep disturbances? That seems to happen to a lot of people, and one person I know gave up on LDN because of this. It seems it happens to a lot of people, but many get past it, and then their sleep actually improves.

@lcnewross, did the LDN give you any initial sleep disturbances? That seems to happen to a lot of people, and one person I know gave up on LDN because of this. It seems it happens to a lot of people, but many get past it, and then their sleep actually improves.

I had/have more difficulty with falling asleep, but I do fall asleep by 11/11:30 pm. I take the LDN around 9 pm. Once asleep, I do pretty well. I may wake up once and then fall back asleep.

I did have an immune reaction initially (bad sinus infection), but doing daily saline rinses and using a colloidal silver spray helped me getting over it. Plan is to get to 3 mg in the next month.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
He believes it will become an FDA-approved drug and then patented, which then means a potential increase in price. Anyone else know about this? I am having good results three weeks in and would be devastated if I suddenly need insurance approval to make the drug affordable. I pay $65 for 60 1.5 mg tablets from People's RX in Austin.
Why not just get the generic 50 mg tablets and dissolve in 50 ml distilled water (then keep in fridge)? This is what I do--insurance pays all but about $1.00 per month. I measure it out with an oral syringe: 1 ml = 1 mg.

*GG*

I still need help with sleep initiation, but I definitely feel like my quality of sleep has improved. My sleep study showed significant alpha wave intrusion during deep sleep.

You might want to try Remeron, I started on this in 2009, felt much better upon waking up, not great, but not like I hadn't rested at all!

GG

frozenborderline

You can get a much better price on IRC.bio hint hint
i have naltrexone solution from irc.bio, do you think it is legit?? i am prescribed naltrexone capsules but the dose is too high and so I'd rather use the solution so i can titrate. don't want it if it's not naltrexone or if the dosage is off tho