• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Jack Kruse -- Sunlight therapy...

sb4

MOD NOTE: Post related to Jack Kruse were split from this thread

In the very beginning of my ...sick-career, I felt improvements from sleeping at my balcony, living at the 58:th latitude, almost as far north as Anchorage. I couldn't decide which factor was the most important, but later I've come to believe it was the light from the sky. At that latitude night is eight hours long in early August, but even in October, when it starts to get chilly in the mornings, the sky is blue at seven o'clock.

Later in that career, I followed up with a pair of journeys to the sun each winter, which were of tremendous help for me. I think all symptoms improved.

Later than that, I started to give myself "natural day light therapy", inspired by treatment of depression - then my chief diagnos.

And on top of that, when I could no longer work, I moved out to the country side, helping a friend with full time occupation and a moon shine farm. Eventhough I was in a pretty bad shape, and needed to rest a lot, I was outdoors many hours a day. Again I felt the improvement caused by day light.

This encouraged me to move much further south, to the 27th latitude, comparable with Florida or the Sunshine Coast in Australia.
Here I stay out of the sun, and brain functions suffer during the warmer months. But I do get a lot of exposure to natural light. And I have improved in many ways, though in other ways, my condition has worsened.

And although this is only a singular patient's anecdote, I can assure anyone who wants to listen to me, that day light does wonders with me. The mecanism, however, I do not know. It may have with vitamin D to do, or maybe with the eyes
...or maybe some internal organ like the hypothalamus has an ability of its own to perceive day light?
I highly encourage you to read jack kruse work. It explains all this. Light is very powerful when it comes to health. So can be cold.

Last edited by a moderator:

sb4

Like you I improve over summer - it's driven me crazy over the years . I just want to follow the sun around . I've now bought a light box to see if that helps. The evidence in depression is now good, but I'm thinking like the nature article said that decline is due to more pro inflammatory cytokines in the cold of winter. I found that article fascinating . I also have patella arthritis and that worsens over winter. The orthopaedic even brought it up ( not that there's much treatment but he acknowledged the seasonal variation ) . So is it daylight or cold ???? I'm doing my 1/2 hr under my lamp every morning it ( started yday)
I would ditch the sad lamp. Many have too much blue. Real sun is best.

Manganus

I highly encourage you to read jack kruse work. It explains all this. Light is very powerful when it comes to health. So can be cold.
Jack Kruse may, or may not, be right. But I can not take his writings seriously. He represents the tradition of gurus who in splendid isolation from science claim to have seen the light (pun unintended).

sb4

Jack Kruse may, or may not, be right. But I can not take his writings seriously. He represents the tradition of gurus who in splendid isolation from science claim to have seen the light (pun unintended).
You are right in the sense he seems aloof / arrogant however I have tried many things / ideas over 7 yrs and Jacks work has provided the most benefit by FAR.

You have nothing to lose by experimenting with sun light, you don't have to drink the koolaid.

TreePerson

You are right in the sense he seems aloof / arrogant however I have tried many things / ideas over 7 yrs and Jacks work has provided the most benefit by FAR.

You have nothing to lose by experimenting with sun light, you don't have to drink the koolaid.

I'm quite keen on sunlight. Would you be able to say briefly what his other suggestions/beliefs are? Or direct me to something not too complicated to read?:sleep:

sb4

I'm quite keen on sunlight. Would you be able to say briefly what his other suggestions/beliefs are? Or direct me to something not too complicated to read?:sleep:
The blogs are dense but the podcasts are good for beginners.
not listened to it but it should be appropriate.

Basically I would sum it up as, the mitochondria are the most important thing in health/aging/disease (doug wallace). Circadian rhythm is massively important, it sets the timing of all your body process, hormone release, etc.

Light is the biggest factor in the above 2 things. Different frequencies of sun light entering your eyes and skin tell your body what time it is, what it should be doing at the time, are a cataylist for the billions of chemical reactions happening in your body every second, charge your water battery (sounds bat shit but look up Gerald Pollak for his work on this), build hormones, and other things.

In practice this means:
-Be outside as much as possible (particularly mornings) with as little clothes as possible, no sun glasses/cream.
-Walk barefooted on grass, concrete for grounding.
-When indoors under artifically light cover your body (blueblocking sun glasses, use program f.lux or IRIS, artifically contains too much blue telling your body it's mid day with no IR or UV)
-Drink unflourinated water.
-Stay away from non native EMFs as much as possible.

There is more but those are the main things. Perfect time to try it as we are getting good sun in the uk and it will only get better through summer :)

TreePerson

@sb4
Thanks so much. I had a quick look but it did look very involved for my current level of health to understand. That's exactly what I wanted just a few basic pointers. He seems to advocate the paleo diet. What is non native EMF?
I spent as much time as possible today outside just resting. I am feeling very tired now. Would you expect it to make you feel more tired to start with?

sb4

@TreePerson nnEMF is basically most man made technology, wifi, mobile phones, radiowaves. Robert obecker has done work on demonstrating how this affects cell health.

Yes sun will make you more sleepy at first. I think due to building melatonin but not sure.

Just try following those steps above through this summer and see what happens.

CCC

Australia has some funky things going on but I would say in general the opposite is true. You have to remember that mainstream science is approaching the sun as if it's the enemy.
That said, we've noticed it when we travel: it's so hard for us Aussies to pick the age of European women, especially those from the north. They just don't have the same amount of sun damage as we do.

Even in Australia, you can always tell who grew up here and who grew up somewhere else with a thicker ozone layer and less sun blasting down through 40 degree heat.

sb4

That said, we've noticed it when we travel: it's so hard for us Aussies to pick the age of European women, especially those from the north. They just don't have the same amount of sun damage as we do.

Even in Australia, you can always tell who grew up here and who grew up somewhere else with a thicker ozone layer and less sun blasting down through 40 degree heat.
Indeed, I think strong sunlight in a place with good ozone etc would be very beneficial for aging. I wanted to move to Australia for the sun however was warned against it for those reasons.

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
I'm from south Florida and I think moderate-level UV intensity sun (anywhere in Europe or most places in USA) is healing but the extreme stuff (like in Miami or South Australia mid-day in the summer) can be damaging.