• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

dehydration

I have recently noticed that although I am not thirsty, my performance increases with drinking much. I am quite confused about this phenomena. Do you have any thoughts on how to find the optimal hydration level?

David Jackson

This is something my herbalist told me: drinking a lot of water doesn't necessarily equate to cellular hydration. If your cellular hydration is not working, then you will be dehydrated, despite drinking a lot of water. There is a very simple way to fix this: Rosemary tea. Simply get a sprig of fresh Rosemary, put it in a mug, and pour on some boiling water. Leave for 10 minutes, then drink. Never microwave; use a jug to heat the water instead. Have no more than six cups over three days; if cellular hydration is your problem, this will turn it back on.

Of course, this may not be your problem, but it is a very simple, easy and cheap thing that you can try, and it can't do you very much harm...

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
It's thought that many people with CFS/ME have low blood volume (not enough blood in the body.) This can lead to many symptoms including orthostatic intolerance. Drinking more will increase blood volume which can help you to feel better. People with CFS/ME usually urinate far more than usual which means more fluids leaving the body, and more fluids needed to replace those that are lost.

Try to drink regularly throughout the day instead of waiting for thirst. Electrolyte drinks will help to keep fluids in the body, but avoid the ones that have lots of unhealthy sugar. Ultima Replenisher is an excellent powdered electrolyte mix that uses stevia as a sweetener.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
drinking a lot of water doesn't necessarily equate to cellular hydration. If your cellular hydration is not working, then you will be dehydrated, despite drinking a lot of water

That's a good point. I never drink just water because most of it goes through me instead of into me. Electrolyte drinks allow my body to hold onto water better than when using just water, but I still urinate very frequently. I have to find a balance point because after I pass a certain threshold my body increases urination to compensate for the excess fluids.

Gingergrrl

This is something my herbalist told me: drinking a lot of water doesn't necessarily equate to cellular hydration.

Do you happen to know how this would relate to "third spacing" which can occur in Mast Cell diseases (MCAS) and other illnesses? The fluid does not go into the cells or the bloodstream but into a "third space" where it does not belong like the abdominal cavity (or in really dangerous scenarios you can get pulmonary edema or cerebral edema). Even though I have low blood pressure and suspected low blood volume, my MCAS doctor told me that fluid loading is not a good idea for me and 6-8 cups of water/fluid per day (for me) is actually ideal.

ETA: It is even more dangerous with IV Fluids like saline (vs. drinking water) for anyone who has this risk and they need to be infused at a much slower speed than a normal person would get.

Shoshana

Northern USA
@mhrps

All these replies are interesting....

However, maybe I misunderstood,
but I thought the original post says that he is not thirsty,
but does feel better when drinking water/fluids.

And the post asks, so how to tell how much to drink?

My answer, for me, is that if I have not peed in a few hours, then I slowly drink water and clear fluids,
until I do need to.

That way , for me, I know I am at least drinking a proper amount.

Whether or not it is going all the right places, of course, I do not know,
and would not be surprised if not, but I try to control the initial part, which I can.

ahmo

I've been adding a bit of xylitol to my water, 1/2 tsp to a litre. Hoping that it helps absorption. Haven't done enough research to add anything further.

@mhrps

All these replies are interesting....

However, maybe I misunderstood,
but I thought the original post says that he is not thirsty,
but does feel better when drinking water/fluids.

That was actually the point of the question :) Thank you all for the interesting replies.

David Jackson

@mhrps... yes, I was answering the second part of your question, really, where you asked about thoughts to find the optimal hydration level.

@Gingergrrl: are you talking about fluid retention? Well; I am not my herbalist, and have no expertise at all, but just reading his book, he does say that fluid retention and dehydration can be linked to the kidneys. One solution of his, the Rosemary tea, I have mentioned already. Another thing he mentions to improve kidney function (and thus hydration issues) is Parsley tea. Same story, really: put a sprig of Parsley in a cup, pour on boiling water, and drink after ten minutes. Do not use a microwave to heat the tea; use a jug instead. Parsley tea is safe to have on a regular basis, so you can have a cup every day for a few weeks and see if things improve, if you like.

I know it sounds far too simple, but his Parsley tea remedy has helped me out tremendously in the past when my kidneys were not doing so good. Of course, it may be that you problems are being caused by something else entirely different; I have no idea. I am just mentioning these things because they are very simple, easy and cheap to try.

[are you talking about fluid retention? Well; I am not my herbalist, and have no expertise at all, but just reading his book, he does say that fluid retention and dehydration can be linked to the kidneys. One solution of his, the Rosemary tea
This is actually quite inconsistent. It's rather impossible for a substance to work for dehydration as well as for fluid retention. There is no magic here. Either something dehydrates you or keeps the fluid inside which means retention.

David Jackson

@mhrps, I am just quoting from my herbalist’s book here, believe it or not as you want to:

“Because the body is dehydrated [at a cellular level], it will try and retain fluid in the fluid system - mainly the lymphatic system and then around the cells, but not in the cell. We see many people very puffed up around the lower leg/foot area and also heavily around the mid-torso area. Many get diagnosed with fluid around the heart and lung area. It becomes a very confusing and conflicting situation. Retaining large amounts of fluid but at the same time feeling very dehydrated. Always thirsty, so drinking plenty, but having frequent bladder activity to get rid of all that water that has been consumed. People taking medication to help remove excess fluid and yet at the cellular level they are already very dehydrated”.

It's okay, but then again I don't believe there is magic bullet to get rid of fluid excess in the tissue (and lymphatic system) and hydrate the cells at the same time.

Gingergrrl

Wasn't talking about fluid retention vs. histamine making membranes too permeable so fluids infused to quickly (or fluid loading w/water) can lead to third spacing which can be dangerous. In my case there are no issues w/my kidneys. Many doctors recommend fluid loading or IV saline for dysautonomia but in some cases it can be dangerous and people (like myself) didn't know that was the case. Am adding this in case it is helpful for anyone.