• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

mental performance

I am bed bound 90% of time. Actually, my iq level is relatively intact - about 125. I don't have problems with instant memory, I can remember upto 8 digits/letters. I have problems with remembering, learning new things. Also, when I am really tired, exhausted I may have troubles to recall some famous names that I should remember. Is it ME/CFS pattern? what do you think?

Last edited:
My memory recall waxes and wanes depending on how good a day I'm having. It's better since I supplemented with b12/folate but still pretty bad.

I've been diagnosed with CFS since 2014, so I'm not sure how progressive it's likely to be. My wife says that my memory's always been bad, but this is different, I can't recall conversations earlier in the same day, even with memory jogs etc.

I don't think this has any bearing on "intelligence" whatever definition you use. Some would argue we all have the same capacity for learning in the main. Cognition is definitely different to intelligence in my book.

I've never done an IQ test though so don't really know what I'm talking about :p

My brother is also troubled with remembering names...but its not CFS (doc say). He can remember conversations, numbers and events.

Dechi

ME doesn't impact IQ, even if in some tests we really not do well. Brain function is diminished, depending on what areas of your brain are affected, but intelligence remains intact. Short term memory is most commonly impaired. Short term memory is also the working memory, what you need to function well at work, unfortunately.

Invisible Woman

Before becoming ill I had a memory like a sponge. I could remember old phone numbers, car registrations etc.

I worked in a technical field and so it was useful that I could read and process large amounts of technical data and retain that information. I also used to learn new things very, very fast.

Now, depending on how I am doing, my memory is average to poor. If I try to learn something new then my cognitive function deteriorates at a frightening rate. At my worst, I actually lost the ability to read - I could understand the individual words, but couldn't understand the sentence. I also couldn't communicate as I couldn't find the right words, never mind string them together in a sensible fashion.

In some ways this is, for me, at least as disabling as physical PEM if not more so. I certainly find it far more frustrating.

dangermouse

Before becoming ill I had a memory like a sponge. I could remember old phone numbers, car registrations etc.

I worked in a technical field and so it was useful that I could read and process large amounts of technical data and retain that information. I also used to learn new things very, very fast.

Now, depending on how I am doing, my memory is average to poor. If I try to learn something new then my cognitive function deteriorates at a frightening rate. At my worst, I actually lost the ability to read - I could understand the individual words, but couldn't understand the sentence. I also couldn't communicate as I couldn't find the right words, never mind string them together in a sensible fashion.

In some ways this is, for me, at least as disabling as physical PEM if not more so. I certainly find it far more frustrating.

I identify with much of what you describe and it's very debilitating when it happens. I used to have an excellent short term memory and now I struggle to remember new information or names or numbers etc. I often forget what I'm saying (mid conversation) which is happening more lately and so embarrassing. I find I'm blank at times and can't think of a word!

alex3619

Is it ME/CFS pattern? what do you think?
I think so. I have the same issues. Only I also have dyscalculia, or inability to do mathematics, and massive problems with three dimensional interpretation. I used to be able to rotate three dimensional objects in my thoughts, but now I often cannot figure out how to open an open plastic bag.

alex3619

Short term memory is most commonly impaired.
I think there is a range. I ace any working memory test, but I am approaching something a bit like retrograde amnesia. My episodic memory is now only patches. Even my semantic memory, which used to be very very good, is starting to fail. That memory contains all the facts that I need to be able to reason about things.

So I wind up in the curious position of being able to reason, but not remembering the facts that I need to reason well. I first encountered this in 1993. Its been a while developing.

alex3619

Also, as a personal preference, I am trying to get away from talking about any of this as "mental". We don't even have proof the mind exists. We know the brain exists. So I prefer to talk of cognitive deficits, or brain deficits, rather than mental deficits. When you are trying to reason about these things and use the word "mind" you add a layer of ambiguity and distortion.

If I were going to use the word "mental" at all it would, ironically if you know my background, be about false belief systems. I use that not in the sense of false beliefs causing disease, but about how much of what we think and reason about the world is probably and sometimes provably wrong, and sometimes just problematic. The extreme case here would be someone who is indoctrinated by a cult. Their brain is most likely fine, but what they believe is highly distorted. Similar but weaker arguments sometimes apply to choice of religion (including atheism), political party, music or sports team. Why is your football team the best team in the world? Why is your preferred political party so good?

rebar

It's nice to see this discussion, I've long dealt with short term memory issues, I love to read and process the information well with good retention, in a general way, but I can't remember specifics, the name of the book, the author. Alex mentioned problems with math. I went through a phase where I was unable to do basic math, a little better now. In my experience, even basic conversational skills can be compromised because of short term memory issues.

I highly recommend these old fashioned standbys:

doofer
thing-a-me-bob
yoke
that
whatsit
whatcha-ma-callit
whats-his-face/what-her-face

The Invisible man has become amazingly fluent!
I've now resorted to a petulent "well you know I have cognitive impairment". When I've forgotten to follow my wife's instructions. I guess I've fallen into a stereotype? Do I need to go off to the shed occasionally?

ahmo

I have zero working memory. My recall is ok. And I was never good at remembering incidents of my past. I've lost lot's of names, but then I'm a recluse, so I don't use names regularly. I like the list above. I've been having much empathy for my father, who used all sorts of made-up words when he was not a very old man (and without dementia.)

I've become even more aware of my lack of mental energy these last months. Partly it's been a hot summer. But I just don't have the energy to come to forums or empty my inbox more than about once/week. And am unwilling to push. I dread any sort of health incident or accident that would further compromise my energy reserves.