• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Famvir insomnia

Complete absence of sleep over 3.5 years. It began after taking Famvir and further burning on top of the head.

It does not help - tryptophan, glycine

sometimes it helps - melatonin

little help - niacin

helps - zopiclone (1/4 tablet). Without it begins to burn the surface of the head to the middle of the night.

Poor quality of sleep aggravates the disease. Recoverable if the nervous system after prolonged lack of sleep? Advice ?

Last edited:

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Complete absence of sleep over 3.5 years. It began after taking Famvir and further burning on top of the head.

It does not help - tryptophan, glycine

sometimes it helps - melatonin

little help - niacin

helps - zopiclone (1/4 tablet). Without it begins to burn the surface of the head to the middle of the night.

Poor quality of sleep aggravates the disease. Recoverable if the nervous system after prolonged lack of sleep? Advice ?
What can cause pain - glutamate, cortisol?

What virus did u take famvir for?

Could it be this infection causing the symptoms?

It sounds like a neuropathy type pain, possibly from viral infection? Lyrica is commonly used for nerve pain, its worth talking to your dr about it.

I became ill in 2000. It started with the temperature 37,2. Pain in the joints, muscles, spine and lymph nodes. Very severe dizziness. In 2007, the symptoms abated. In 2012 stress. It all started again. Added the panic. interferon treatment resulted paresthesias, weakness on the right side of the body. Famvir has led to total insomnia. MRT - norm. Neurologist - Problems with immunity and metabolism. Zopiclone relieves panic. I think the problem is the tryptophan cycle and quinolinic acid and mitochondria. The load causes a deterioration in a few hours (dizziness, panic). I understand that there is LPS. Immunomodulators in 2013 removed all the symptoms.
Treatment is carried out against toxoplasmosis, herpes, borreliosis (Bartonella).
Healthy sleep can lead to improved.

Last edited:
Benzodiazepines is necessary apply because of inflammation - excitotoxicity. What are the "natural" substances (plants) aimed at the root cause should be used to get out of the stalemate?

The head is connected to a power outlet. And without drugs she will not fall asleep.

Last edited:

JES

I think the problem is the tryptophan cycle and quinolinic acid and mitochondria.

Recent research from Dr. Davis and Naviaux suggests antiviral and antimicrobial medication may actually do more harm than good in long-term with this disease, providing that dysfunctioning mitochondria is really the problem (source).

Q7. How would you respond to Dr. Ronald Davis’s recent statement: “What is important to note is that in the absence of evidence of an active infection, it is plausible that the long-term antimicrobial treatments often used for ME/CFS patients are doing more harm than good.”

I am in complete agreement. Many antibiotics like tetracyclines, erythromycin, and the fluoroquinolones (eg, Cipro), and antivirals like acyclovir, fialuridine, AZT, and ddC also inhibit mitochondrial functions when used chronically (usually for more than about 3 weeks). Because mitochondria are descendants of free-living bacteria, their machinery for protein synthesis, RNA synthesis, and DNA replication are susceptible to many antibiotics, and for reasons unique to mitochondrial DNA synthesis, they are also sensitive to antivirals. Chronic use of these drugs can do more harm than good if there is no longer good evidence for an active infection. When mitochondrial functions are critically impacted by long-term use of certain antibiotics, a ripple effect in metabolism and gene expression is produced that can further impair energy production by mitochondria, converting an active cell danger response that occurs during active infection to a hypometabolic survival response.

edawg81

The valtrex made my already bad insomnia from ME worse. Since im making av treatment a priority, my solution was start at a tolerable dose of av and slowly work up. For sleep i take .5mg klonopin and 2 drops of doxepin and its a game changer for me. Not happy with all the meds but it is what it is, and they work. Also i try to take my av as early as possible in the day. Hope you can find some better rest.

keenly

The valtrex made my already bad insomnia from ME worse. Since im making av treatment a priority, my solution was start at a tolerable dose of av and slowly work up. For sleep i take .5mg klonopin and 2 drops of doxepin and its a game changer for me. Not happy with all the meds but it is what it is, and they work. Also i try to take my av as early as possible in the day. Hope you can find some better rest.

This is exactly what I want to try. What pharmacy do you use? I realize these are prescript, thanks.

edawg81

This is exactly what I want to try. What pharmacy do you use? I realize these are prescript, thanks.
There is a national chain pharmacy across the street, I do not use mail order unless theres an advantage through my insurance. That said, goodrx.com and blinghealth.com sometime give great discounts. Good luck with the medication, sadly I am not getting the long term improvement I had hoped with the valtrex.

JES

I had the same reaction, bad insomnia for the first few weeks, feeling like my immune system flared up and from there on just feeling worse. I plan to make another trial with Valtrex again shortly as it's recently being researched for a lot of related conditions (fibro etc.). May I ask what dosage did you start with and how do you plan to increase it?

edawg81

I had the same reaction, bad insomnia for the first few weeks, feeling like my immune system flared up and from there on just feeling worse. I plan to make another trial with Valtrex again shortly as it's recently being researched for a lot of related conditions (fibro etc.). May I ask what dosage did you start with and how do you plan to increase it?

I started with 500mg x twice a day, and was able to work myself up 1g,1g,.75g but could not get to the 3g per day I was hoping for. At one point I went back down to 1.5g per day and slowly increased it by .25g every 3-4 weeks.