• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

EPI-PEN recall 13 March 2017

Denise

It appears to be brand-name only (not the generic)

"....The recalled product was manufactured by Meridian Medical Technologies, a Pfizer company, and distributed by Mylan Specialty between December 2015 and July 2016. The expanded voluntary recall is being initiated in the U.S. and also will extend to additional markets in Europe, Asia, North and South America."(emphasis added)
"It is important that patients continue to carry their current EpiPen Auto-Injector until they receive a replacement device."
The press release has a chart of the affected lots.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...recall-of-epipen-auto-injector-300432879.html

@Kina, @Sushi if there is a more appropriate place for this please move it. Thank you.

Gingergrrl

Wow, I had not heard anything about this and will check my EpiPen later to see if it's in the recalled group. Thank you @Denise for posting this!

ETA: I just checked my EpiPens and they are not part of the recalled batches but I did learn that mine expire April 2017 (basically next month) so I need to get new ones. I have never used mine, and at this point I don't think I will ever need to, but I still cannot imagine not having one for safety since reactions can be so unpredictable.

Last edited:
The following are the recalled batches. You can see the batch # and date on the side of the epipen when you take off the protective cover.

5FA665 April 2017
5FA6651 April 2017
5FA6652 April 2017
5FA6653 April 2017

Wow, I had not heard anything about this and will check my EpiPen later to see if it's in the recalled group. Thank you @Denise for posting this!

ETA: I just checked my EpiPens and they are not part of the recalled batches but I did learn that mine expire April 2017 (basically next month) so I need to get new ones. I have never used mine, and at this point I don't think I will ever need to, but I still cannot imagine not having one for safety since reactions can be so unpredictable.

I actually did end up using one of the recalled ones and it thankfully it fired properly. If it hadn't I would have been in real trouble as I was holidaying in Indonesia :eek: I had 3 severe reactions in the week I was over there... it is scary to think that I was carrying dud pens. The hospital didn't even give me epi.. they gave prednisolone & an antihistamine!

Jennifer J

I actually did end up using one of the recalled ones and it thankfully it fired properly. If it hadn't I would have been in real trouble as I was holidaying in Indonesia :eek: I had 3 severe reactions in the week I was over there... it is scary to think that I was carrying dud pens. The hospital didn't even give me epi.. they gave prednisolone & an antihistamine!

Oh, that's so scary. I'm glad it worked for you. Three in a week in another country. What a holiday! I'm glad your ok.

That's interesting that the hospital gave you prednisolone and an antihistamine. How did that go, compared to using an epi pen (if you are up for saying)? Thanks.

I better check mine tomorrow.

That's interesting that the hospital gave you prednisolone and an antihistamine. How did that go, compared to using an epi pen (if you are up for saying)? Thanks.

It worked out okay, they also gave me O2 which seemed to help the most. The IV made me sleepy. Luckily I only had a mild wheeze and fast HR - my BP was good. I had only a tiny exposure, I think the pan my egg was cooked in was cross contaminated (I'm allergic to nuts).

If the reaction had of progressed then I would have actually be scared for my life. :nervous: Oftentimes I only get mild breathing troubles and swelling and I can get away with not using the pen. It is hard to say how it would go if my reaction was worse. I went to a hospital that the Westerners go to, and surprisingly the Dr. knew what anaphylaxis was. Allergies are unheard of in Indonesia and you can't buy epi-pens there. It was unsettling though when the nurse came in and asked if I was ready for my rabies shot... :bang-head: she had no idea why I was there! (I was due for another shot that day, because got bit by a bloody monkey too).

After that experience in the hospital, I ended up buying a vial of epinephrine and a syringe to carry around :lol: Also decided to stay the heck away from SE Asia.

Gingergrrl

I went to a hospital that the Westerners go to, and surprisingly the Dr. knew what anaphylaxis was.

Wouldn't most doctors in any country know what anaphylaxis is?!!! This is so scary to hear.

Allergies are unheard of in Indonesia and you can't buy epi-pens there.

How can that be? I am not doubting you but aren't allergic reactions universal to human beings in any country? I imagined all countries would have some version of Epi (but not the actual EpiPen from Mylan of course).

It was unsettling though when the nurse came in and asked if I was ready for my rabies shot... :bang-head:

Wow! That is wild! :dog::dog::dog:

(I was due for another shot that day, because got bit by a bloody monkey too).

Do you think you had an allergic reaction to the monkey bite? (We need a monkey emoji here LOL).

After that experience in the hospital, I ended up buying a vial of epinephrine and a syringe to carry around :lol:

Good call. Hoping you never have to use it!

Denise

The following are the recalled batches. You can see the batch # and date on the side of the epipen when you take off the protective cover.

5FA665 April 2017
5FA6651 April 2017
5FA6652 April 2017
5FA6653 April 2017

Several sites now show a longer list @Chelby and include expiration dates through October 2017. (Tagging @Gingergrrl, @Webdog, @Jennifer J also because you each noticed the initial post.)

The list of EpiPens recalled in the US can be found below:

• EpiPen Jr 2-Pak® Auto-Injectors, 0.15 mg - Lot number: 5GN767 - Expiration: April 2017

• EpiPen Jr 2-Pak® Auto-Injectors, 0.15 mg - Lot number: 5GN773 - Expiration: April 2017

• EpiPen 2-Pak® Auto-Injectors, 0.3 mg - Lot number: 5GM631 - Expiration: April 2017

• EpiPen 2-Pak® Auto-Injectors, 0.3 mg - Lot number: 5GM640 - Expiration: May 2017

• EpiPen Jr 2-Pak® Auto-Injectors, 0.15 mg - Lot number: 6GN215 - Expiration: September 2017

• EpiPen 2-Pak® Auto-Injectors, 0.3 mg - Lot number: 6GM082 - Expiration: September 2017

• EpiPen 2-Pak® Auto-Injectors, 0.3 mg - Lot number: 6GM072 - Expiration: September 2017

• EpiPen 2-Pak® Auto-Injectors, 0.3 mg - Lot number: 6GM081 - Expiration: September 2017

• EpiPen 2-Pak® Auto-Injectors, 0.3 mg - Lot number: 6GM088 - Expiration: October 2017

• EpiPen 2-Pak® Auto-Injectors, 0.3 mg - Lot number: 6GM199 - Expiration: October 2017

• EpiPen 2-Pak® Auto-Injectors, 0.3 mg - Lot number: 6GM091 - Expiration: October 2017

• EpiPen 2-Pak® Auto-Injectors, 0.3 mg - Lot number: 6GM198 - Expiration: October 2017

• EpiPen 2-pak® Auto-Injectors, 0.3 mg - Lot number: 6GM087 -Expiration: October 2017
http://gizmodo.com/new-epipen-recall-includes-the-us-and-epipen-jr-1793918157

Gingergrrl

Several sites now show a longer list @Chelby and include expiration dates through October 2017. (Tagging @Gingergrrl, @Webdog, @Jennifer J also because you each noticed the initial post.) The list of EpiPens recalled in the US can be found below:

Thanks for tagging me @Denise and I saw the longer list last night in the original link and later saw it on the CNN website (but learned of it from you first)! My EpiPen is LOT 5GM623, expiration April 2017 which doesn't seem to be on any of the lists unless I am missing something. I see my MCAS doctor at the end of April so will get a prescription to refill it then.