• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Poll: Who do you believe has the most effective methylation protocol?

Out of the following options, who do you believe has the most effective methylation protocol?

• Freddd

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Dr Amy Yasko

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr Richard Van Konynenburg

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Dr Neil Nathan

• Dr Ben Lynch

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Someone else (add in comments)

• Total voters

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
@Jesse2233 I think this depends on many things--first of all you need test results to indicate that you actually need to undergo a methylation protocol. Then we have unique genetics--one size dose not fit all. And third, since Rich and Dr. Neil Nathan worked together, their protocols would be the same (unless Dr. Nathan has changed his protocol in the years since Rich's death).

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Jesse2233 - I voted for Freddd's protocol, but only based on my experience of Freddd's protocol vs. Richvank's. I have not looked into any other others.

I did Richvank's protocol off and on for 3+ years (2007 - 2010), when I felt well enough to do it. It always left me feeling sick and tired so could only do it for short periods of time, but it was the only thing I knew to do then, so kept on doing it. And then in 2010 I came across Freddd's protocol and my reaction was nothing but positive, apart from my potassium tanking, which I was able to deal with. I have long thought there was some ingredient in one of the particular supplements recommended by Rich which did not sit well with me.

drob31

@Jesse2233 I think this depends on many things--first of all you need test results to indicate that you actually need to undergo a methylation protocol. Then we have unique genetics--one size dose not fit all. And third, since Rich and Dr. Neil Nathan worked together, their protocols would be the same (unless Dr. Nathan has changed his protocol in the years since Rich's death).

Wouldn't it depend on clinical deficiency versus function deficiency?

Sushi

Wouldn't it depend on clinical deficiency versus function deficiency?
Can you say more? When I had a methylation panel done the results were startlingly dismal, yet I didn't have any specific symptoms other than the usual ME/CFS symptoms.

drob31

Can you say more? When I had a methylation panel done the results were startlingly dismal, yet I didn't have any specific symptoms other than the usual ME/CFS symptoms.

How did you get them tested, something like spectracell?

I mean, if someone had "normal" levels but still had a functional deficiency, ie the cells weren't getting enough.

Sushi

How did you get them tested, something like spectracell?
I had Spectracell which had a lot of abnormalities but the Health Diagnostics Methylation panel testing 13 values was the clincher as 12 of them were significantly out of range.
still had a functional deficiency, ie the cells weren't getting enough.
How would you know that?

drob31

I had Spectracell which had a lot of abnormalities but the Health Diagnostics Methylation panel testing 13 values was the clincher as 12 of them were significantly out of range.

How would you know that?

I'm not sure for anything else, but for something like cortisol the saliva tests supposedly shows "cellular levels" versus serum levels.