• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

An open letter to Psychological Medicine, again! by D Tuller et al

user9876

Murray was always likely to ignore the letter. He has ignored reports of factual errors in the paper and has refused to investigate - I suspect against the publishers own policies.

He wrote a very supportive (of PACE) editorial when patient letters were published basically dismissing them as harassment.
And he is a colleague of Wessely.

Unless Cambridge university press do something because it will harm their reputation I cannot see anything happening from the journal. Perhaps the other editor will start to worry about his reputation.

I think we should have a campaign to remove Murray's knighthood as he is acting unethically and increasing the chances that patients will be harmed by a treatment with no benefits and potential side effects.

Esther12

Unless Cambridge university press do something because it will harm their reputation I cannot see anything happening from the journal. Perhaps the other editor will start to worry about his reputation.

Does anyone know how to go about putting on pressure here? Probably something that needs to be done cautiously? Any academics in the house?

Jan

Can't quite believe this

'17 added individuals and 23 more organizations, for a total of 141 signatories altogether. These include two lawyers from Queen Mary University of London, the academic home of lead PACE investigator Peter White'

A barrister from QMUL

Robin Callender Smith, PhD
Professor of Media Law
Centre for Commercial Law Studies
Queen Mary University of London.
Barrister and Information Rights Judge
London, UK

Esther12

Too late!!!!!

Please do not allow INACTION For Me to sign @Tom Kindlon

There is absolutely no need for a fake charity when we have 140 great signatures.

Good to get them to sign imo. It won't make up for all the problems they've caused, but as they were the patient group involved in helping run PACE them calling for retraction would be of some significance. It would also make it harder for them to downplay the problems with PACE in the future.

A.B.

We do want to see Action for ME on our side. They're now the only thing left that lets the BPS proponents claim to have patient support.

Of course if they self destruct due to conflicts of interest I would not shed a tear. Conflicts of interest, or whatever the source of their hypocrisy is.

Solstice

We do want to see Action for ME on our side. They're now the only thing left that lets the BPS proponents claim to have patient support.

Of course if they self destruct due to conflicts of interest I would not shed a tear. Conflicts of interest, or whatever the source of their hypocrisy is.

Keeping pressure up on them would be very good. Alas I don't have twitter, but keeping on reminding them about signing the letter through twitter and other sources would be nice. It's time to show your true colours, not just to us who already know them, but to your members aswell. Do you want to go down with PACE or do you want to continue on the other side. Keeping on reminding them will show them we won't forget.

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
Does anyone know how to go about putting on pressure here? Probably something that needs to be done cautiously? Any academics in the house?
This is starting to feel like a 'banging your head against a brick wall' situation

I am beginning to see things a little differently. Like the last scene in the drawing room when all Agatha Christie's suspects are gathered together wondering who did it, and how many of them, and how, and why. And Miss Marple begins to explain about who lied to protect someone who did not actually do it and so on and so on. And you know that there is no going back. A few red hands and a lot of red faces.

Anyone who can think of another lever to pull at Cambridge University Press please go for it, but I suspect there is no rush. It is apparent that the truth is apparent to enough people. Maybe it's like banging your head against a wall that is already leaning dangerously down the hill and making cracking noises!

char47

Wonderful to have the 2 Law professionals from QMUL on there & also particularly great to have so many psychs signing too.... Which rather demolishes the argument that 'the only doctors who oppose PACE & the theories behind it are ones who don't understand the finer points of psychological research/theory etc'.

It is apparent that the truth is apparent to enough people. Maybe it's like banging your head against a wall that is already leaning dangerously down the hill and making cracking noises!
Do you really think so Jonathan? Oh i do hope so, i keep telling myself not to get my hopes up but hearing you say that is so encouraging.