• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Loss of appetite with pem

When I've really overdone it, it's as if my body has shut down and I can't eat properly. I try to because I know not eating won't help but my body says no. I wonder if trying to deal with the after effects of the exertion is all the body can cope with and eating just adds more stress? Anyone else get this?

I also get really depressed during pem. This definitely isn't a RESULT of pem, i.e depressed due to feeling ill, because the depression often starts before I realise I've overdone it, so it seems to be a chemical thing.

NelliePledge

I was just reading about 5:2 diet and fasting I don't know if this is correct but read that during fasting you can go into ketosis which is a state that helps your body repair. Maybe??? no appetite is a sign your body needs to repair from the exertion. I'm having PEM at the moment too and also not feeling like eating. In my case not a bad thing as I am seriously overweight very chunky and plenty of fat there to burn so I am just keeping drinking water until I feel like eating. If you are skinny though you should try to get some nutrition soup maybe?

Hope your PEM eases soon
Nx

Old Bones

When I've really overdone it, . . . I can't eat properly. Anyone else get this?

I also get really depressed during pem. This definitely isn't a RESULT of pem, i.e depressed due to feeling ill, because the depression often starts before I realise I've overdone it, . . .

@Lissyleigh I definitely can relate to what you have described. I've rarely had an appetite or felt hungry during my almost 30 years with ME. When I'm exceeding my limitations, it is utterly impossible for me to decide on something to eat, even if I am in a grocery store with an unlimited number of choices. I end up leaving with nothing.

I'm not sure I'd describe my emotional state before or during PEM as depression. For me, it is more like irritation, or aversion. Like you, I initially don't recognize my changing state of mind as a sign that I'm doing too much. I just attempt to "power through". Eventually, though, when my mood become sufficiently altered, I realize: "Oh yeah, I've been here before -- time to slow down". The problem is my activity level, not the task or person I'm annoyed by. Unfortunately, I have a short memory for lessons like this one.

Last edited:
Nellie I hadn't heard that before, very interesting. I definitely get the sense that my body needs time to repair itself. Unfortunately I'm quite thin although not as thin as I used to be, but I struggle to gain weight and dont like not eating especially as I need the nutition. But right now my bodu doesn't want anything so I guess I have to go along with that. Sorry you've got PEM too right now, I hope you stabilise again soon.

Old Bones I have also experienced a sort of non decision re food. I need to eat but can't make myself. It's hard. Mostly though, it's as if my body is too sick to manage it. I guess it's the same as having a bug in some ways if the immune system is active or damaged in some way.
I don't really get irritated, it's a sort of low mood. I say depression because I used to suffer from it, so I recognise the feeling. It sort of takes me over, but improves once I physically stabilise again. Like you, I eventually realise what the low mood is about and can take a step back from it, wait for it to go. I relate to the short memory as I constantly forget that my depression is in fact m/e related!

I get the migraines too, they are usually one of the first signs that I've overdone it. They are one of the few things that can make me cry.