• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New paper on radiation and CFS, CFIDS Foundation

I noticed that the CFIDS Foundation has put up some new research on their website. They've funded it to pursue the theory that ME is a specific immune/neurological signature that leads to cancer in many cases and is caused by low dose radiation.

I can't understand any of it. It might as well have been written in Chinese.
If anyone understands any of it, let us know

http://www.ncf-net.org/library/MothersillExosomesBystanderBiophotonsCFIDS.pdf

Quote from CFIDS Foundation description:

"his study demonstrates novel evidence of a link between radiation-induced UV biophotons and exosomes and is the first to suggest the reconciliation of these two bystander effect mediators. This research represents a critically important first step in explaining a molecular mechanism for the radiation-related chronic fatigue and immune dysfunction syndrome (CFIDS).
This work was funded by a grant from the National CFIDS Foundation
."

"Exosomes are released by bystander cells

exposed to radiation-induced biophoton

signals: Reconciling the mechanisms

mediating the bystander effect

Michelle Le1*, Cristian Fernandez-Palomo2, Fiona E. McNeill1,3, Colin B. Seymour4,
Andrew J. Rainbow4, Carmel E. Mothersill4"

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
I noticed that the CFIDS Foundation has put up some new research on their website. They've funded it to pursue the theory that ME is a specific immune/neurological signature that leads to cancer in many cases and is caused by low dose radiation.

I can't understand any of it. It might as well have been written in Chinese.
If anyone understands any of it, let us know

http://www.ncf-net.org/library/MothersillExosomesBystanderBiophotonsCFIDS.pdf

Quote from CFIDS Foundation description:

"his study demonstrates novel evidence of a link between radiation-induced UV biophotons and exosomes and is the first to suggest the reconciliation of these two bystander effect mediators. This research represents a critically important first step in explaining a molecular mechanism for the radiation-related chronic fatigue and immune dysfunction syndrome (CFIDS).
This work was funded by a grant from the National CFIDS Foundation
."

"Exosomes are released by bystander cells

exposed to radiation-induced biophoton

signals: Reconciling the mechanisms

mediating the bystander effect

Michelle Le1*, Cristian Fernandez-Palomo2, Fiona E. McNeill1,3, Colin B. Seymour4,
Andrew J. Rainbow4, Carmel E. Mothersill4"

The quoted paper is about technical issues relating to how beta radiation may cause cell damage. I am not sure how good it is. It does not appear to have anything to do with ME/CFS since we have no evidence for beta radiation being relevant to ME/CFS. Beta radiation comes from certain radioactive elements in very small quantities - not from mobile phones or anything like that. I know of no epidemiological link between sites of high beta particle levels and ME/CFS. I would have thought that most of us get far more direct UV irradiation from sunshine.

It seems odd that a CFS charity should fund this. If there were an established link between beta radiation and CFS the thing to do would be to avoid beta radiation. Knowing exactly how it causes damage seems to me irrelevant.