• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

does your anybody have dry patches with bumps on them on forarms?

Johnskip

I have dry scalp also bad I eat the the healthiest diet!!! it is so aggravating!!!!

Basilico

Florida
The dry scalp could be from SLS in your shampoo, fungal infection, or psoriasis. There are lots of things to try for fungal infections, if you do an internet search you can find them pretty easily.

Have you tried switching to an SLS-free shampoo? SLS is in most shampoos and is a harsh detergent that often causes dryness and itchiness because it strips all your good scalp oils away with the dirt. Don't know where you live, but Trader Joe's carries an SLS-free shampoo for $3. You can also find them in any health food store.

Have you tried a zinc shampoo? Head and Shoulders makes a good one. The version I use is "extra strength" and I order it online because it has twice the zinc of the formulas that are usually in the stores and it's like $6. Unless you have psoriasis, there is a very good chance this shampoo will help.

If the shampoo doesn't help, there is a way to tell if your issue is psoriasis (I suddenly have some psoriasis on my scalp and under my eyebrows and have some autoimmune hairloss. The zinc shampoo didn't help for this, nor did anything else I tried.) Here's how I figured out my issue was autoimmune: I bought a tube of hydrocortisone for $1 and applied some to my whole scalp. Within 2 days my itchy scalp disappeared and in another day my hair texture actually changed from being kind of wiry to being fuller, like how my hair used to be. As soon as I stop applying the cortisone it starts getting itchy again and the texture gets wiry.

In general, it's not good to use cortisone regularly, but what you can buy in the stores is a very low concentration (I think 1%) and when applied topically, I don't think it causes the same systemic problems. I use it for several days, take a little break and then resume. It's not as effective as the cortisone injections the dermatologists use to treat autoimmune scalp/hair issues, but it's MUCH less painful and cheaper.

Shoshana

Northern USA
Hello @Johnskip

I agree with the suggestions in that post by @Basilico
(thanks for writing them out )

and I do those things too. And I find them helpful.

I also wanted to say hi to you, Johnskip.
I know it is frustrating to eat the right things, and not have visible good results.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
I've recently been diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Over the last year I've had white thickenings of skin on my legs and arms. If I pick at them, they don't bleed, they just slough off. Since starting Cytomel, the thickening has gone away.

Have you had a TSH and free T4 tested lately? They will indicate if you have a thyroid problem. Hypothyrodism is known for making one's skin thick and also itchy, i.e an itchy scalp.

Johnskip

The dry scalp could be from SLS in your shampoo, fungal infection, or psoriasis. There are lots of things to try for fungal infections, if you do an internet search you can find them pretty easily.

Have you tried switching to an SLS-free shampoo? SLS is in most shampoos and is a harsh detergent that often causes dryness and itchiness because it strips all your good scalp oils away with the dirt. Don't know where you live, but Trader Joe's carries an SLS-free shampoo for $3. You can also find them in any health food store.

Have you tried a zinc shampoo? Head and Shoulders makes a good one. The version I use is "extra strength" and I order it online because it has twice the zinc of the formulas that are usually in the stores and it's like $6. Unless you have psoriasis, there is a very good chance this shampoo will help.

If the shampoo doesn't help, there is a way to tell if your issue is psoriasis (I suddenly have some psoriasis on my scalp and under my eyebrows and have some autoimmune hairloss. The zinc shampoo didn't help for this, nor did anything else I tried.) Here's how I figured out my issue was autoimmune: I bought a tube of hydrocortisone for $1 and applied some to my whole scalp. Within 2 days my itchy scalp disappeared and in another day my hair texture actually changed from being kind of wiry to being fuller, like how my hair used to be. As soon as I stop applying the cortisone it starts getting itchy again and the texture gets wiry.

In general, it's not good to use cortisone regularly, but what you can buy in the stores is a very low concentration (I think 1%) and when applied topically, I don't think it causes the same systemic problems. I use it for several days, take a little break and then resume. It's not as effective as the cortisone injections the dermatologists use to treat autoimmune scalp/hair issues, but it's MUCH less painful and cheaper.
thankyou !!!