• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"Lost and outcast"- Debate-article on ME in Norwegian medical newspaper

Kalliope

The Norwegian senior doctor Hanne Thürmer has written a great debate article on ME in a medical newspaper. Dr. Thürmer is currently working on the RituxME trial at one of the five hospitals participating. She is also part of the medical counsel to the Norwegian ME Association.

- There are also some who earn lots of money on people's despair and bad health.I find it odd that those who might have superficial contact with a few patients have a complete overview of diagnosis, treatment and outlook.A little more humility and a little more interest to put into the field can be a start?

- Although this is a disease we can not treat, the persons who have the disease can be treated as people.

Original article

Google-translated version

AndyPR

Excellent article.

Kalliope, the title of the article in the translated version I just read is shown as "Lost and outcast" rather than the "Forgotten and emitted" you have in the thread title. Might be worth editing the thread title if you can?

Kalliope

Excellent article.

Kalliope, the title of the article in the translated version I just read is shown as "Lost and outcast" rather than the "Forgotten and emitted" you have in the thread title. Might be worth editing the thread title if you can?
Sure! I just didn't agree with google's translation :cool: But I can see it might be a bit confusing with two different titles.

Kalliope

If "outcast" is too extreme, maybe the correct translation would be "forgotten and marginalised"?
My dictionary suggested expelled, pushed out, ejected and emitted as translations for "utstøtt", so I don't think "outcast" is too extreme. "Forgotten" is more precise translation than "lost", but I haven't got the brains for a complete translation of the whole article, and the google-translation is better than nothing. I do agree that one title is better than two, so I'll stick with the google-version.. But do let me know if there are any aspects with the google-translation of the article that seems unclear, and I'll try to clarify.

A.B.

English isn't my native language but "emitted" is never applied to people as far as I know.