• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The ME Crisis: Meeting Date Set for Ottawa

shannah

ME Crisis 1.jpg

Meeting for ME: The Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Crisis in Canada to be Discussed

Patients and Advocates Connecting With Ottawa Officials

The meeting to discuss the Myalgic Encephalomyelitis crisis in Canada will take place with Minister of Health Philpott’s Director of Policy on March 23rd.

Over the coming days, in anticipation of the meeting, we will be featuring letters, or portions of letters, on our facebook page. These are written by several Canadians seriously ill with ME, who are fed up with the treatment and non-treatment they’ve been receiving for far too long now. Their letters will be presented during this meeting.

Each person with ME has their own unique story. Each story of ME has its own unique perspective. Yet each one also represents tens of thousands of other Canadians all across this country living and struggling with their own personal daily battle with ME.

We’ll hear from a person, severely affected by ME, whose seemingly endless fight with their insurance company has been a living nightmare. We’ll hear from a young person on her way to fulfilling her dreams at university only to have them abruptly interrupted and snatched away by ME.

We’ll hear from a programmer and a partner in a successful company who has been robbed of his career, business, livelihood and independence – all by ME - and now must rely on family members for help.

We’ll hear from a long term severely ill sufferer and what it’s like for those who have been sick with ME for more than a quarter of a century with this disease and how, in all that time, they’ve watched and waited, quite unbelievably, while nothing has changed in terms of government intervention and support for ME.

We’ll hear from a mother who lost her son to this disease and a daughter who lost her mother to ME.

Throughout the stories you will hear common themes of trauma, ignorance, and the many deficiencies in, and betrayals of, the health care system - with no help in sight for this ME crisis, and only silence from health care officials.

You will also see people of courage, optimism, hope - people transcending incredible pain, loss and hardship to face each new day with ME.

We’re encouraging Canadians with ME and their loved ones to let Minister Philpott know how excited and hopeful we are about this meeting to stop the harm, start the research and start the treatment by sending her messages of gratitude and thanks via Facebook, Twitter and email.

Send your own positive message or share one of ours found below.

Sample Messages To Send Out:

For Facebook: @janephilpott

Go directly to Minister Philpott’s page, tag her, and post this message:

Jane Philpott Thanks so much for meeting with patients and advocates from the ME community about the Myalgic Encephalomyelitis crisis in Canada. We are looking forward to your help in getting us access to medications like Ampligen and antivirals.

https://www.facebook.com/janepaulinephilpott/#

For Twitter: @janephilpott

Thanks for meeting about the ME Crisis in Canada. Looking forward to solid productive solutions for us @janephilpott #MyalgicE #pwME

https://twitter.com/janephilpott

For EMail:

Dear Minister Philpott,

Thank you so much for meeting with ME patients and advocates to discuss the crisis in Canada affecting over 400K Canadians severely ill with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.

We very much look forward to your help to stop the harm of contraindicated treatment and start the research with fair funding.

Sincerely,
xxxxxxx

Hon.Jane.Philpott@Canada.ca

Comment at:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/millionsmissing-canada/the-me-crisis-meeting-date-set/403050056723389

View attachment 19929

Last edited:

Old Bones

For "Old Fossils" like me who aren't on social media, here's another way to contact Health Minister Philpott:

Contact information
Hon.Jane.Philpott@Canada.ca
70 Colombine Driveway,
Tunney's Pasture
Postal Location: 0906C
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0K9
Telephone: 613-957-0200
Fax: 613-952-1154

I composed a letter describing the devastating losses those with ME endure, and comparing the diagnosis and treatment available for recognized illnesses vs the complete abandonment of ME. Just sent it by fax, and will follow-up with the paper copy via "snail mail" tomorrow.

shannah

Sorry, I couldn't read the original post. I don't know if you used bold but I found it very hard to read and I don't usually have that problem on this forum. :(

I'm glad you mentioned something @TigerLilea .

I merely copied and pasted and ran quickly away, noticing something seemed odd but not pausing long enough to realize it had copied over with the bold formatting. :)

Thanks!