• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Getting to the bottom of Border Collie collapse

Border Collie Collapse, or BCC, is recognized as a form of exercise intolerance in Border collies, Kelpies, and related breeds in the United States, Canada, and Australia. Dogs with BCC are normal at rest, but after 5–15 minutes of strenuous exercise can develop incoordination and altered mentation. Recently, JAAHA posted an exercise study on dogs with BCC in issue 52.5 and a survey on observations of dogs with BCC in issue 52.6.

While many veterinarians and dog owners have not heard of BCC, Sue Taylor, DVM, DACVIM, lead researcher on the BCC study printed in JAAHA, said, “It is not rare and is a significant problem in the breed.” Organizations like the American Border Collie Association, the AKC Canine Health Foundation, and the Border Collie Society of America have all recognized this and supported Dr. Taylor’s research.

BCC may be a significant problem, but there is no data on exactly how prevalent it is, because a diagnostic test that can confirm it does not yet exist. Katie Minor, BS, one of the researchers involved in the study, discussed attending a large stock dog trial in Minnesota, where the owner-reported frequency of BCC in dogs there was about 5%. If this percentage is indicative of its presence across the breed, BCC is about as prevalent as the exercise induced collapse (EIC) issue in Labrador retrievers, but researchers have to find the source of BCC to more accurately determine the numbers.
http://www.aaha.org/blog/NewStat/po...-to-the-bottom-of-border-collie-collapse.aspx

Thought it was interesting as it sounds so familiar. @Ben Howell , worth highlighting to Ron?

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
Come on, clearly some spoiled, decontitioned, middle aged dogs who like to complain. I wonder what they would do if they didn't get any treats for free anymore. You know, other dogs have to work for their food, like herding dogs or guide dogs. ;)
Listen you can say what you like about ME sufferers, but being unpleasant about dogs can get you into serious trouble, especially in the UK.

I know we have lot of dog lovers on the forum (judging by the recent avatar craze), but if a diagnostic marker and treatment is found for dogs before it's found for me I'm going to be thoroughly peeved.

dog.jpg

I'll adopt a disguise if I have to.

Hajnalka

Listen you can say what you like about ME sufferers, but being unpleasant about dogs can get you into serious trouble, especially in the UK.

I know we have lot of dog lovers on the forum (judging by the recent avatar craze), but if a diagnostic marker and treatment is found for dogs before it's found for me I'm going to be thoroughly peeved.

index.php

Haha, this is now officially my favorite post on PR, thank you for making me laugh so hard! :)
And to make sure I'm not getting mails with Dylan lyrics from vocal young men: I'm a crazy dog person myself. :dog:

Sorry @AndyPR, for taking your thread a little off topic. :dog:

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
Unless of course it paves the way for a speedier solution for humans :)
Sorry I'm not having that. A diagnostic marker and treatment for me can pave the way for a speedier solution for dogs with my blessing, but I'm not getting to the back of the queue behind a bunch of hounds.

A side product from a dog treatment. Honestly.

Dechi

View attachment 19904

Is there something you dislike about my avatar, lol ? I have been a poodle from the start, nobody can take that away from me !

Hutan

Just kidding and I never read the BCC study, but it can't be worse than PACE
I did read the BCC study - and without doubt it is way better in terms of both science and compassion than the vast majority of research on ME/CFS.

Certainly I'd retrieve balls or chase sheep to get such a comprehensive investigation of my illness.

This one may be more effective.
border collie.jpg

antherder

I've always thought of myself as part cat, but now I'm thinking that I must be part dog too. Would explain why I'm always so dog-tired, and why I feel like my life has gone to the dogs...

I've been trying to tell my doctors for years that I simply can't muster the energy to herd more than a few ants, but they just don't understand. (I don't think the ants understand either - why I'm trying to herd them, I mean...)

I bet it was the psychobabblers who tricked everyone into thinking that the phrase, "let sleeping dogs lie," has a deeper meaning, when really it is just supposed to be taken literally... don't tell the poor dogs to GET up and exercise more...they can't...just let them rest, damn it!

antherder

Certainly I'd retrieve balls or chase sheep to get such a comprehensive investigation of my illness.

In a Superman outfit...?

Would make an interesting youtube video.

I'm not convinced the sheep would run though. I'm picturing them huddled in a group, giggling. (But then, I am picturing my unco awkward self trying to herd them, tripping over my cape, probably face planting in a cow pat or three in the process, so that might explain why they're laughing.)

Last edited: