• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How can we "stimulate" mTOR?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I think a few ways have been identified--leucine, ketamine....? I am experimenting with hefty doses of BCAAs (containing leucine) and while it is not preventing fatigue or increasing endurance, it does seem to largely prevent PEM. What other ways are their to stimulate mTOR? And if I have the terminology wrong, please correct me!

This seems like something that we might be able to safely experiment with until research tells us more--reducing the mTOR inhibitors and increasing things that stimulate it.

eljefe19

Just doing a quick read it would seem that the most important thing to stimulate mTOR is resistance training and exercise intensity. Could this be why we have this issue as we are unable to exercise, especially intensely?
Depends on the exercise. Aerobic exercise inhibits mTOR and causes me PEM whereas some light weight lifting doesn't, and what do you know it activates mTOR.

eljefe19

The mTOR pathway is implicated in dozens of major diseases from cancer to autism. To say it is central to ME/CFS is not unique and leads us nowhere quick.

Continuing to uncover the source of the mysterious molecule discovered by Davis is by far the most promising lead we have. Experimenting drugs to inhibit this molecule too of course.
We aren't the researchers. We're patients desperate to find relief. And guess what, activating mTOR has completely destroyed my PEM. So, while I'm excited as you are by Prof Davis' work, I believe mTOR is central to at least PEM. Do a little research on @nandixon 's theory of ME/CFS and you will see how we came to this conclusion, that apparently Prof Davis has now confirmed.

eljefe19

@Sushi mTOR is part of a pathway called PI3K/Akt/mTOR.

Things that activate mTOR; BCAAs (upregulate), glutamine, citrulline, AKG, Glycine, Opiods (upregulate)

Things that activate Akt and therefore mTOR; Florinef, Cimetidine, Taurine, TUDCA, Uridine, Rhodiola, Cordyceps

Off the top of my head that's what I've found so far.

Last edited:

Sushi

Things that activate mTOR; BCAAs (upregulate), glutamine, citrulline, AKG, Glycine, Opiods (upregulate)

Things that activate Akt and therefore mTOR; Florinef, Cimetidine, Taurine, TUDCA, Uridine, Rhodiola, Cordyceps
Thanks, very interesting. Most of those are easily available. I've been taking a pretty good dose of Taurine and BCAAs but I'll try adding in a few more of these. Have you found that your endurance has increased as well as preventing PEM? So far, for me, just adding in the BCAAs for a week, I haven't had PEM when I ordinarily would have but my endurance for physical activity (I've been gardening a bit for the last two days) has not increased at all. Maybe if I add in some more of these?

perrier

I think a few ways have been identified--leucine, ketamine....? I am experimenting with hefty doses of BCAAs (containing leucine) and while it is not preventing fatigue or increasing endurance, it does seem to largely prevent PEM. What other ways are their to stimulate mTOR? And if I have the terminology wrong, please correct me!

This seems like something that we might be able to safely experiment with until research tells us more--reducing the mTOR inhibitors and increasing things that stimulate it.
Please indicate which brand is good. Thanks!

perrier

Thanks, very interesting. Most of those are easily available. I've been taking a pretty good dose of Taurine and BCAAs but I'll try adding in a few more of these. Have you found that your endurance has increased as well as preventing PEM? So far, for me, just adding in the BCAAs for a week, I haven't had PEM when I ordinarily would have but my endurance for physical activity (I've been gardening a bit for the last two days) has not increased at all. Maybe if I add in some more of these?
Please indicate doses...

Diwi9

Administrator
So my understanding from prior threads is that we want mTOR to be in a balanced state and we are hypothetically under active. @Sushi - I too have been using BCAA's (L-Glutamine and L-Arginine mix w/ L-Citrulline), creatine, and cimetidine. I'm really just a mess, trying different things to see what will work and I wish we had more understanding personalized medicine to guide us. Is it working? Yesterday over a two hour span I was able to brush my horses and rode one for just a bit, although my husband did all of the tacking. My upper arms and back were very sore that night, but I did not have PEM today!

Last edited:

Sushi

Please indicate which brand is good. Thanks!
I've just been using powdered BCAAs made by NOW, but I'd think any reputable brand would be fine. I had to go up to 2,500 mg to get this effect. I haven't tried more to see if that is "better." I am taking it in divided doses on an empty stomach.

Diwi9

Administrator
The NOW brand is L-leucine, L-valine and L-isoleucine. I haven't tried adding glutamine yet but I'm cautious about Arginine due to its pro-viral properties.
Yes, prior posts have discussed problems with outbreaks after L-arginine. Some people say adding Lysine has helped. I have not had any problems yet. I will look into L-leucine. Maybe just a quality BCAA mix would suffice?