• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Strange reaction

dangermouse

Hi everyone,

I'll keep this as concise as possible as I'm not great right now.

Has anyone had a reaction to (or similar reaction to a similar thing) chili? Yesterday I was eating a chilli that was very hot (too hot for me really). Within minutes of eating it I began to feel light headed which intensified as I went on eating (I had to stop eating it). I felt like I was going to faint. I had nothing to give energy wise and severe fatigue set in fast. I couldn't word find. I felt flushed and became cold and shivery. I was sat down but felt unsteady and like I was losing consciousness. Veins on my hands were large and soft. Breathing was laboured but not hyperventilating. I couldn't swallow easily and felt like I was going to choke. I developed a headache. I couldn't use my hands and my arms were lollopy (like a rag doll). I wasn't scared, it was like I was observing in slow motion. My vision was blurry.

If nothing else it was interesting, though I don't want to experience it again any time soon.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

slysaint

Any thoughts?
don't know about the chilli; what you describe (and more) happens to me every so often for no apparent reason.

Meantime: you have no avatar, maybe you'd like this one:
image_update_img.jpg

Invisible Woman

Hi @dangermouse. Lovin' your new avatar!

Chillies are interesting. They trigger receptors in our tongue which warn us that we being burnt / injured. This in turn will trigger a big physiological response. It can certainly, suddenly amp up your metabolism.

I am very sensitive to stimulants like caffeine and adrenaline and also suffer from an underactive thyroid, for which I take medication. At times the thyroid meds need to be adjusted and if I am on slightly too much and eat hot food it can trigger a reaction similar to the one you describe. My system just goes into overdrive and I feel very faint.

Funnily enough the BBC programme "The Secrets of your Food" had a piece on chillies this week. Including this chilli eating contest:

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
Those are all symptoms of low blood pressure. Chili peppers can dilate veins which will lower BP. If your body already has trouble keeping blood in your upper organs when upright (a form of orthostatic intolerance; common in CFS/ME), then a chili will make that problem even worse. If it happens again then try lying down flat to get more blood into your brain and upper organs.

Those are all symptoms of low blood pressure. Chili peppers can dilate veins which will lower BP. If your body already has trouble keeping blood in your upper organs when upright (a form of orthostatic intolerance; common in CFS/ME), then a chili will make that problem even worse. If it happens again then try lying down flat to get more blood into your brain and upper organs.
@Invisible Woman thanks, it's interesting that you've had a similar thing happen. I haven't experienced it when eating before, but it was a hot chili.

I don't think I'll be doing any chili eating contests, though I know a man who could :)
----------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------ ---------------------------------------

"If it happens again......" ?? I would stay 10 miles away from that experience, again. just don't eat that stuff :jaw-drop:

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
"If it happens again......" ??

:) I meant if it happens again for any reason. It isn't just chilis that can cause low blood pressure. When experiencing serious low BP signs as mentioned in the original post it's important to lie down. In some cases if you ignore low BP symptoms your body might force you to lie down by causing you to pass out, which risks a head or other injury.

valentinelynx

I felt flushed and became cold and shivery. I was sat down but felt unsteady and like I was losing consciousness. Veins on my hands were large and soft. Breathing was laboured but not hyperventilating. I couldn't swallow easily and felt like I was going to choke.
:eek:! THESE ARE ALL SYMPTOMS OF ANAPHYLAXIS! WHICH IS OFTEN FATAL! DO NOT IGNORE: CALL 911 (or your country's emergency number if you are not in US) IMMEDIATELY!!! This is a true emergency where minutes can kill.

Sorry about shouting, but "next time" it may kill you! Particularly when you talk about the feeling of choking, which implies impending throat closure, which could next hit your airway (may have already, to cause your "labored breathing.")

See you if you can figure out what it is in the chili that caused the reaction and avoid. Ideally, tell a doctor so you can't allergy testing and find out what it is you are allergic to. And, most important, get an Rx for an EpiPen (or the cheaper alternative now available) so you can treat yourself while calling 911.

Alternatively, you may have MCAS (mast cell activation syndrome). Many of us do. It can precipitate anaphylactic-type symptoms unpredictably. Having an EpiPen may save your life. Be very aware of anything else that causes flushing, throat swelling, dizziness, rash, etc. and avoid!

:) I meant if it happens again for any reason. It isn't just chilis that can cause low blood pressure. When experiencing serious low BP signs as mentioned in the original post it's important to lie down. In some cases if you ignore low BP symptoms your body might force you to lie down by causing you to pass out, which risks a head or other injury.
Thanks. I see.

dangermouse

:eek:! THESE ARE ALL SYMPTOMS OF ANAPHYLAXIS! WHICH IS OFTEN FATAL! DO NOT IGNORE: CALL 911 (or your country's emergency number if you are not in US) IMMEDIATELY!!! This is a true emergency where minutes can kill.

Sorry about shouting, but "next time" it may kill you! Particularly when you talk about the feeling of choking, which implies impending throat closure, which could next hit your airway (may have already, to cause your "labored breathing.")

See you if you can figure out what it is in the chili that caused the reaction and avoid. Ideally, tell a doctor so you can't allergy testing and find out what it is you are allergic to. And, most important, get an Rx for an EpiPen (or the cheaper alternative now available) so you can treat yourself while calling 911.

Alternatively, you may have MCAS (mast cell activation syndrome). Many of us do. It can precipitate anaphylactic-type symptoms unpredictably. Having an EpiPen may save your life. Be very aware of anything else that causes flushing, throat swelling, dizziness, rash, etc. and avoid!

Thanks for that information. I'm definitely not gonna be having anything like that again. It happened once when I had pineapple (the throat swelling thing) and the GP said that it's probably just been ''one of those things''. My husband asked if I should have an EpiPen but the GP said that it was not necessary. Needless to say, I don't have pineapple now.

valentinelynx

Thanks for that information. I'm definitely not gonna be having anything like that again. It happened once when I had pineapple (the throat swelling thing) and the GP said that it's probably just been ''one of those things''. My husband asked if I should have an EpiPen but the GP said that it was not necessary. Needless to say, I don't have pineapple now.

Your GP is ... not so smart...

dangermouse

Thanks very much for that information @PatJ I did also get a very runny nose and flushing on my face from eating the chili.

The main symptoms (as I recall) from the pineapple was throat and tongue swelling, itching inside mouth, difficulty swallowing and wheezing...was really scary as I was in a restaurant with my daughter, the staff all ignored me whilst my daughter ran to the nearby chemist for antihistamines.

valentinelynx

The main symptoms (as I recall) from the pineapple was throat and tongue swelling, itching inside mouth, difficulty swallowing and wheezing...was really scary as I was in a restaurant with my daughter, the staff all ignored me whilst my daughter ran to the nearby chemist for antihistamines.

Should have been running to the phone to call for an ambulance. Not a joke.