• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Serrapeptase gives me more energy and no brain fog, why?

jason30

Hi all,

I have much benefit from using Serrapeptase and now I am trying to find out the reason why. :)
Benefits:
- No inflammatory
- More energy
- More focus
- No brain fog
- Less depression, more motivated
- 2 days after intake better skin
- Helps with sinusitis
- The most suprising one: no itching from chemicals and mold spores (I have MCS and mold sensitivity).

Does anyone have a clue why serrapeptase is working for me?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Helen

Hi Jason,

I´ve been taking Serrapeptase prescribed as a dissolvent for biofilm from a Lyme infection. The effects that you had from it sounds amazing.
Did you see this free e-book ? Maybe there are some clues in the book.
http://serrapeptase.info/

cb2

@Jason. Yay for good news! I don't have any answers to the question but would love to know more details about what and how much you are taking, and how long did it take to see benefits?
Thanks! Glad you found some relief

Jigsaw

@Helen

Serrapeptase makes me feel terrible. Maybe too many toxic waste products being eliminated too fast for me at the moment. Good that others are getting benefits from it, though! :thumbsup:

Helen

Serrapeptase makes me feel terrible. Maybe too many toxic waste products being eliminated too fast for me at the moment. Good that others are getting benefits from it, though! :thumbsup:
Thanks for your input. I guess you are as convinced as you could be that you haven´t an ongoing Lyme infection that made you worse.

Hi all,

I have much benefit from using Serrapeptase and now I am trying to find out the reason why. :)
Benefits:
- No inflammatory
- More energy
- More focus
- No brain fog
- Less depression, more motivated
- 2 days after intake better skin
- The most suprising one: no itching from chemicals and mold spores (I have MCS and mold sensitivity).

Does anyone have a clue why serrapeptase is working for me?

Thanks in advance!

Glad to hear it's working! My understanding is that it is a protein enzyme that your body can use to clean up waste proteins and eliminate them. Like giving your body a tool to clean up more adhesions or scar tissue.

I didn't get a huge benefit from it but sometimes I think the strength of supplements is too low (making it a self fulfilling prophecy that it will not be effective, so it seems like the news saying supplements are useless is true - when really they are just too low dose). I am currently working on finding the correct balance of B vitamins, so I haven't tried 4 or 5x the recommended dose to see what effect it might have.

Anyway it would make sense if we're under virus attack that an enzyme to clean up that mess would help maybe. And there is a protein envelope around most viruses isn't there? Theoretically possible.

What dose are you taking? How often?

Jigsaw

Thanks for your input. I guess you are as convinced as you could be that you haven´t an ongoing Lyme infection that made you worse.

Haven't ever been bitten by a tick.....is there another method of infection?

Jigsaw

Glad to hear it's working! My understanding is that it is a protein enzyme that your body can use to clean up waste proteins and eliminate them. Like giving your body a tool to clean up more adhesions or scar tissue.

@Still alive and kicking @jason30

That's my understandning of it, too., and is the reason I bought it,

@jason30 Re: supplements being too low-dose, or otherwise ineffective - often it's the form of of the substance concerned. If we lack the necessary conversion enzymes to convert the inactive forms into the active forms used by the body, there will be no benefit, and there could even be nasty side-effects, because unless a substance is converted, it can be toxic. For example (not strictly speaking a "supplement", but it's still replacing a "deficiency") I don't convert enough T4 into T3 (inactive and active thyroid hormones respectively).

So if I take even a small amount of T4, I go toxic within 20 minutes - headache, nausea, temperature, etc. Even taking T4's pre-cursor, tyrosine, has the same effect (obviously, that suggests I am at least converting tyrosine to T4, so there's one pathway working, at least!)

Same thing with B2 in standard riboflavin form. I'm doing quite well with the active Flavin Mononucleotide co-enzymated form instead, and whilst I didn't see much benefit (other than not feeling nauseous from B2) at the recommended dose, increasing it x3 - 4 is evidently getting some rusty pathways working again and improving parts of my methylation cycles.

I started a thread about some (to me) very interesting information on B2 and FMN, FAD earlier today, with this link: http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/vitamins/riboflavin#nutrient-interactions.

There's also the issue of bioavailabilty. Some forms of minerals in particular, are almost worse than nothing, like the oxide forms, which are cheap and therefore widely available, but are almost impossible for even a healthy body to use and gain any benefit from.

Conversely, taking the wrong supplements at any dose, or the right supplements at too high a dose can be actively damaging.

Back to no response - there's also the matter of absorption to take into account. A lot of us have gut issues, digestive difficulties (lack of digestive enzymes and/or hydrochloric stomach acid), poor gut bacteria, slow transit time, too rapid transit time, constipation, diarrhoea, IBS, etc, etc), and receptor resistance to a variety of biochemicals. So from that point of view, the dose listed on the label is never going to be the dose your cells actually receive.

Connected with that is the format/ delivery system for whichever biochemical/ nutrient/ hormone/ whatever else you want to call the different substances available for supplementation.

Tablets can be a nightmare for me, because of additives - colours, fillers, preservatives etc, as can injectable solutions with preservatives and/ or other additives. Capsules can be OK, depending on what the capsule is made of, with a better absorption rate for me based on observing my personal responses to the same substances, and pure powders with no additives can be the best of all. (Powders are also cheaper, and are widely available on the body-building sites like My Protein, Bulk Powders, and others.) Some products are available as transdermal patches, oils, or creams, which bypass any digestive difficulties, and also imvolvement from the liver. Some people respond much better in terms of fewer side-effects and efficacy using these. Magnesium absorbed transdermally by using Epsom Salts in the bath, or mixed with cream and applied to the skin, work better than other delivery systems for some. Sublinguals can be useful to maximise absorption, too, and further improved by placing these tablets not under the tongue as recommended, where they can dissolve too fast to provide the prolonged contact that facilitates absorption, but under the top lip, on your gum. Nasal and oral sprays are also an option. So are drops, although many contain ethanol, or citric acid and other preservatives, which can often be problematic.

So, form, format and dose all play a very important part in safely and effectively supplementing a beleagured or fragile system.

Slightly off-topic but still connected to your experience of supplementation efficacy, I agree with another post I saw this morning about the effectiveness and safety of using supplementation as a tool to help improve our otherwise crappy quality of life due to ME/CFS and the myriad of co-morbidities that accompany our condition - I'm not going to wait until some double-blind, placebo-controlled, peer-reviewed study gives me the OK about nutrients etc that I've gathered enough information about to warrant testing out for myself or have already gained benefits from.

I investigate studies anyway, and find that negative studies have often used either a less-than therapeutic dose, and/ or the inactive form, and often other bias, to "prove" lack of efficacy.

Anything that elevates my quality of life even slightly from the status of bed-ridden, pain and anxiety-riddled, brain-dead zombie is good with me!

I hope at least some of this info helps in understanding why some supplements seem ineffective and / or cause unpleasant reactions.

Last edited:

Helen

Haven't ever been bitten by a tick.....is there another method of infection?
Many people don´t even notice the tick bite, so I think everyone that has been sick for a long time should be tested for Lyme. They have found that among people with other severe dieases, some also had an active Lyme infection. And yes, there are other ways to get infected according to experienced Lyme doctors. I don´t want to scare you, but I might have had a Lyme infection for 20 years before I got diagnosed.

Many people don´t even notice the tick bite, so I think everyone that has been sick for a long time should be tested for Lyme. They have found that among people with other severe dieases, some also had an active Lyme infection. And yes, there are other ways to get infected according to experienced Lyme doctors. I don´t want to scare you, but I might have had a Lyme infection for 20 years before I got diagnosed.

My doctor tested me, it was negative. But isn't there a series of tests to be absolutely sure? Is there a web guide to the tests? I keep hearing it's "hard to diagnose" is it?

Helen

But isn't there a series of tests to be absolutely sure?
No, not yet.
s there a web guide to the tests?
I don´t think so, although there is a lot of information also in the Lyme section on the forum.
I keep hearing it's "hard to diagnose" is it?
Yes, that´s the real problem. But there are reliable tests on their way, hopefully in a near future.

I think we should let this thread be about Serrapeptase from now on ;).

Jigsaw

@Helen

I confess that my only existing knowledge of Lyme, aside from knowing it's transmitted by ticks, is having seen an episide of "Doctors" years ago, where the health centre's practice manager got increasingly ill following a camping trip.

She then started experiencing visual and aural hallucinations, and displaying a host of very weird behaviours, and it turned out she had Lyme disease and wasn't going mad after all. So rightly or wrongly, I've always thought that Lyme would manifest like that.

I get that tick bites can go unnoticed, and I doubt that I have ever had one. I'm hypersensitive to ANY insect and bug bites, or their stings (carry an EpiPen because of this) and also to plants with substances my ridiculously fragile system can't handle, and have hypersensitive skin, too.

Because of those traits, I am prone to believing that I would have definitely been aware if a tick had latched on, burrowed in, and had a good feed, or even just taken a quick nibble and jumped off in disgust at the different components of my skin or blood (I was apparently immune to pretty much ALL insect bites during and for a long time after chemo in 2007/8.... every cloud....)

One of our cats once came home with one of these vicious, toxic little things in her neck, and we managed to "unscrew" it cleanly with our tick-remover, thankfully. I really do feel that I would have been acutely aware if something even a fraction of the size of the baby thing that she came home with had had a go at me. I have that thing where you can feel things crawling on you when there's nothing there (sorry, brain-fart, can't think of the name for it), so not feeling something that IS on/ in my skin seems unlikely.

However, having said that, I'm taking this onboard and will investigate further. :nerd:

I wonder why none of the dozens of doctors, both NHS and private, here and in the States, or any of the equally numerous consultants I've asked for help over the last 36 years (1981 was the first time I realised something wasn't right) haven't considered this, or tested me for it. :thumbdown::rolleyes::confused:

Is it that commonly missed in chronic illness? It sounds like something that should certainly be excluded.

jason30

Thank you all for your reactions and the clear explanation of what serrapeptase does.

Usage
I take 1 Doctor's best 'Best Serrapeptase' capsule 30-45 minutes before a meal, or at least 2 hours after a meal.
1 capsule contains 40,000 SPU Serrapeptase enzyme (serratiopeptidase activity units)

I notice the effects after 4 a 5 hours for like 2/3 days.

Pyroluria
I think I have Pyroluria, it's something that I am studying the last few months. I am not sure yet, but hopefully a blood test will give me an answer.

I read on this website that serrapeptase is adviced for Pyroluria.
http://www.health-science-spirit.com/pyroluria.htm

High amounts of proteolytic enzymes are most comfortable for advanced and inherited conditions. These are serrapeptase for cleaning skin, muscles, joints and other tissue from pyrrole residues and other accumulated wastes, nattokinase for cleaning the blood vessels, and at times additional bromelain and possibly papain for general clean-up of protein residues. Take these on an empty stomach several times daily. Serrapeptase and nattokinase may be taken together but at separate times from bromelain or papain as the latter may digest the former.

So this could be the reason...

Thanks again all!

Jigsaw

Thank you all for your reactions and the clear explanation of what serrapeptase does.

Usage
I take 1 Doctor's best 'Best Serrapeptase' capsule 30-45 minutes before a meal, or at least 2 hours after a meal.
1 capsule contains 40,000 SPU Serrapeptase enzyme (serratiopeptidase activity units)

That's the one I've used, too. I like Doctor's Best products.

Not familiar with pyroluria, but it certainly sounds like serrapeptase is moving things in the right direction for you :)

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Jigsaw

Pyroluria
I think I have Pyroluria, it's something that I am studying the last few months. I am not sure yet, but hopefully a blood test will give me an answer.

I read on this website that serrapeptase is adviced for Pyroluria.
http://www.health-science-spirit.com/pyroluria.htm

So this could be the reason...

Thanks again all!

@jason30

Walter Last.....hmmmmm. Be careful. A prolific health writer, all over the net. I've read a fair amount of his stuff. I tried his Epsom Salts flush recently, with none of the good effects promised, and a whole bunch of very unpleasant reactions which included being stuck in the bathroom from 1.30am - 5.15am having taken a lower than suggested dose at 2.30pm. Had the one or two swift evacuations as WL stated would happen, then nothing. Thought it must have been successful and even considered upping the dose the next day as my response hadn't been dramatic.

Then came 1.30. Honestly, it was hell, and not something I'm ever going to do again. I imagine it must be what serious curry-eaters go through.

My point is, please don't believe everything you read, never believe only one person's view (my own included), and look at as many sources of information as you can when you're trying to self-diagnose and self-treat. A lot of the symptoms WL lists for this disease could very easily be applied to a vast range of other recognised conditions too, because they are largely "Non-Specific", so you may or may not have pyroluria.

Serrapeptase clears all manner of cellular debris, so will, in theory at least, be helpful for any condition or state where detox and waste elimination have been compromised.

Whatever, none of that detracts from the good effects you've gained from serrapeptase :D

jason30

Thanks @Jigsaw , good point! I understand your point. I often look at different sources and personal experiences. And after my own test I am still cautious to determine something.

jason30

I have found 1 disadvantage of using serrapeptase; it makes my EHS more worse.
I don't know why but my first guess is the liver detox!