• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

One year ago today...

Sandman00747

It was one year ago today that I was sitting here at my computer when all of a sudden all of my symptoms just disappeared! Every last one of them left and after oh so many years I got to feel like the old me. I can't begin to

describe the euphoria this gave me. This complete remission lasted for only 3 1/2 days, but it was bliss while it lasted. That's why I'm so excited by Dr. Davis' new discoveries. It did feel like my body turned something back

on or off just like he described! It was just like a light switch. Hang in there guys. I really believe he is onto something and my experience one year ago backs his theory. If you can please donate to his work. I am a believer. I have to be after my experience.

slysaint

It did feel like my body turned something back

on or off just like he described! It was just like a light switch.
This is how I would love to feel again; when these so called 'experts' talk about recovery and 'what exactly is it', well, we would know (shame it was only for 3 1/2 days) but at least you got a reminder what being well feels like. :) I fear a lot of us forget:(

Sandman00747

I just wanted to add that I understand that Dr. Davis may still be working downstream of the original problem. It could well be a retrovirus or an enterovirus is the original cause of all this misery, but if he can find a way to make us all feel like I felt for those days I will gladly take that and I'm sure you guys would too! One GIANT step at a time would be alright with me!

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
least you got a reminder what being well feels like. :) I fear a lot of us forget:(
And some of us simply don't know. Having been unwell for 30 years, I have no idea what a healthy person my age feels like. I suspect that some people who say they are 90% recovered are really completely recovered. They are basing the 90% on what they were like before they got ill, when they were much younger.

Sandman00747

And some of us simply don't know. Having been unwell for 30 years, I have no idea what a healthy person my age feels like. I suspect that some people who say they are 90% recovered are really completely recovered. They are basing the 90% on what they were like before they got ill, when they were much younger.

@Little Bluestem I think you are probably correct about this 90% recovered claim, because I would readily say I was back to 100%. I was 20+ years older when this occurred. But as far as I could tell, and the feeling this remission gave me, I wouldn't have known I was 20 years older. I felt incredibly alive and well for those 3 1/2 days, almost child-like

in energy and vitality again! I sincerely hope you get to feel this euphoric experience sometime soon. In fact, all of us deserve to get back to this level again soon. I hope and pray we will. But Dr. Davis' analogy about the switch being flipped was exactly what happened to me. There was nothing gradual about it! It was instantaneous! And even if I had to take a pill every 3 days, or even every day to sustain this feeling, count me in!

Last edited:

Chrisb

Hi @Sandman00747

The experience which you describe is very strange. I used to get this quite often in the first 11 years, occasionally in the next 10, and hardly ever since; never in the last 5.

It was this that convinced me that no-one could reasonably believe in the BPS model of the illness if they had ever been taught how to take a proper history from a patient, assuming that the patients that they saw were not drawn from a very restricted pool. From what one learns on this forum, it would seem not have been a restricted group that they managed to diagnose.

What I found most odd was that there was sometimes a delay between the improvement and the realisation. I would suddenly realise that for 5 minutes or so I had been energetically prowling around the room, and within an hour I would feel like going out for a walk. The reverse was also true. My mother could tell that a relapse was on the way minutes before I knew. She said my face would suddenly go grey.

It seems that not only did we have false illness beliefs, but they were also unconscious, (or perhaps) subconscious, false illness beliefs.

I know these sudden brief remissions are completely unpredictable & can't be 'triggered' but if someone has one, would there be a way of getting a remission blood sample to Ron Davis - & then when the remission was over getting another one to him for comparison? Would that be possible? Would it be useful? If so, then if the Phoenix Rising community (esp those who have previously had one of these remissions) knew what to do if a new one occurred, in terms of getting a blood sample done & delivered, maybe it could give Ron some pointers on anything that's different in the remission sample?

Sandman00747

I know these sudden brief remissions are completely unpredictable & can't be 'triggered' but if someone has one, would there be a way of getting a remission blood sample to Ron Davis - & then when the remission was over getting another one to him for comparison? Would that be possible? Would it be useful? If so, then if the Phoenix Rising community (esp those who have previously had one of these remissions) knew what to do if a new one occurred, in terms of getting a blood sample done & delivered, maybe it could give Ron some pointers on anything that's different in the remission sample?

I have thought about this before @PeeWee , and if it happens again I am in a position to get my blood drawn in a moments notice. I sure hope it does. I think this could lead to some significant findings for Dr. Davis and crew. Thanks for jogging my memory about this!

Sandman00747

I've never experienced anything resembling this "brief remission" in over 15 years of illness. :confused:

I am so sorry @Snow Leopard . I really am. This disease puts such a burden and so much pain and misery on almost everyone who has it. If there were truly any degree of mercy on this brutal planet, then everyone who suffers with this plague would at least get an occasional break, remission, whatever, from this illness. It's my only 100% remission in over 20 years so I'm not optimistic above a repeat event! But I am ready!

Such brief remissions seem to be very uncommon, but a few people other than Sandman have had them. It's that anyone at all has experienced this that might be important - maybe could yield a clue that could help everyone.