• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Effects From Surgery

Hello all,

I first want to say thank you to the community here for all the information and ideas on how to deal with CFS. I am new to this situation (suffering for about a year now) and have been reading this board constantly since my diagnosis. So just wanted to say thank you to the participants of this online community.

I've been told I need to have surgery as my LES has stopped working and I need the nissen fundoplication surgery.

My question to the community is: have you had surgery and how did it effect your CFS?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Stay strong everyone!

Plum

@Frank22 - sorry to hear you have to have surgery.

I have had 2 surgeries since having ME. I did well immediately after. No nasty affects to the drugs or the surgeries themselves - both were on my wrist. However, the recovery meant a long time in bed. My POTS got worse and my ME has been worse. I think my last surgery was 3 years ago. I was probably around 40% functioning before surgery. Now, a good day is 30%. I've improved my POTS since being able to not spend all day in bed.
I had no real choice with my surgeries - if I wanted the problem fixed, I needed to have them. So I don't regret having them.
1 thing I do wish I hadn't done: the last check up I had, I was made to wait an hour and a half for a 2min check over. It was pointless. I was in agony in the waiting room, from sitting in a very uncomfortable chair. I wish after 30 mins I had gotten up and left. Rescheduled or just not bothered. That appointment seriously set me back. It was the final straw.

belize44

@Frank221 thing I do wish I hadn't done: the last check up I had, I was made to wait an hour and a half for a 2min check over. It was pointless. I was in agony in the waiting room, from sitting in a very uncomfortable chair. I wish after 30 mins I had gotten up and left. Rescheduled or just not bothered. That appointment seriously set me back. It was the final straw.
I had wrist surgery too, and had the exact same experience when I showed up for my follow up appointment. The long wait just for a brief check up on the wrist was not worth what it cost in PEM and pain.

Having said that, I have never had a problem with anesthesia or any other aspect of surgery. For which I am truly grateful!

*GG*

Hello all,

I first want to say thank you to the community here for all the information and ideas on how to deal with CFS. I am new to this situation (suffering for about a year now) and have been reading this board constantly since my diagnosis. So just wanted to say thank you to the participants of this online community.

I've been told I need to have surgery as my LES has stopped working and I need the nissen fundoplication surgery.

My question to the community is: have you had surgery and how did it effect your CFS?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Stay strong everyone!

What is LES?

GG

Thanks for the reply's everyone!

My lower esophageal sphincter does not have the strength to close anymore causing sever GERD. I have read that some with ME/CFS don't respond well to surgery so wanted the forums experiences...