• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

An Update on ME/CFS Research with Ronald W. Davis, PhD

antherder

I hope they're made of rice flour not wheat flour!

Naturally, although I suspect a nanobinder will be needed to stop the rice nanonoodles from falling to nanobits, which complicates matters, as always.

I also suspect that the rest of my day is going to be filled with a potential children's book idea about a nanobot who makes nanonoodles with his nanoneedles... a welcome distraction, imo.

I didn't start this nanononsense, btw...

Naturally, although I suspect a nanobinder will be needed to stop the rice nanonoodles from falling to nanobits, which complicates matters, as always.

I also suspect that the rest of my day is going to be filled with a potential children's book idea about a nanobot who makes nanonoodles with his nanoneedles... a welcome distraction, imo.

I didn't start this nanononsense, btw...
Yes but your are encouraging it which is pretty reprehensible IMO. Look forward to the book. I can almost see the pictures now

Lynne B

I hope this isn't off topic, but for @MeSci, @boolybooly, I also have high blood pressure AND hyponatremia and have had for most of the time of this disease (20 years). I also have erythromelalgia so was interested in boolybooly's mention of "erythrocyte sedimentation test which has anecdotally shown higher blood viscosity in ME patients implying lower levels of hydration and lower blood volume / pressure." I'm wondering whether or how to follow this up, given I'm currently on a blood thinner to avoid a stroke while being encouraged to drink less fluids and add salt to my meals. (I fell on Christmas Day, fractured my hip and needed urgent hip replacement surgery, so the medical team wanted to improve my sense of balance.) [The more I write here, the more I'm sure I'm off topic but don't know where else to put my queries. Sorry.]

Last edited:

antherder

Yes but your are encouraging it which is pretty reprehensible IMO.

Agreed. I hereby accept my share of the responsibility. If it helps, I will donate my first royalty payment to nanoneedle cell research.

Just to clarify, the nanobot only makes nanonoodles in his spare time, when he's not busy with his nanotechnic duties, solving the puzzle of ME. That will be the main focus of the book, of course. It will help spread the message that ME is an illness worth solving, and that innovative technology driven by innovative minds, is the way to achieve that goal.

Sorry for the derail...

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
Many thanks. Unfortunately I don't seem to have access to the full article.
http://sci-hub.cc/10.1002/bit.25171

1. Find the doi string for the article here:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24338648
It is 10.1002/bit.25171, taken from this line of text that is right below the word "Abstract:"
Biotechnol Bioeng. 2014 Jun;111(6):1161-9. doi: 10.1002/bit.25171. Epub 2013 Dec 28

2. Go to http://sci-hub.cc/

3. Enter the doi string 10.1002/bit.25171 in the search box.

4. Click the box with the key in it that says "open."

5. You may land on a page with Russian text where you have to type some letters (English letters) to prove you're a real person. Enter the letters and you should land on the paper you're searching for.

boolybooly

I hope this isn't off topic, but for @MeSci, @boolybooly, I also have high blood pressure AND hyponatremia and have had for most of the time of this disease (20 years). I also have erythromelalgia so was interested in boolybooly's mention of "erythrocyte sedimentation test which has anecdotally shown higher blood viscosity in ME patients implying lower levels of hydration and lower blood volume / pressure." I'm wondering whether or how to follow this up, given I'm currently on a blood thinner to avoid a stroke while being encouraged to drink less fluids and add salt to my meals. (I fell on Christmas Day, fractured my hip and needed urgent hip replacement surgery, so the medical team wanted to improve my sense of balance.) [The more I write here, the more I'm sure I'm off topic but don't know where else to put my queries. Sorry.]

I agree we are veering off topic so I answered as best I could with a few ideas for both @MeSci & @Lynne B in a thread on hyponatremia in the gastroinstestinal and urinary subforum which the search engine found. See URL below.

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ation-too-much-peeing.7412/page-2#post-820648

Hope it helps. :)

1. Find the doi string for the article here:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24338648
It is 10.1002/bit.25171, taken from this line of text that is right below the word "Abstract:"
Biotechnol Bioeng. 2014 Jun;111(6):1161-9. doi: 10.1002/bit.25171. Epub 2013 Dec 28

2. Go to http://sci-hub.cc/

3. Enter the doi string 10.1002/bit.25171 in the search box.

4. Click the box with the key in it that says "open."

5. You may land on a page with Russian text where you have to type some letters (English letters) to prove you're a real person. Enter the letters and you should land on the paper you're searching for.
Thanks. The direct link ...

... seems fine, once you satisfy the real-person-check.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
I am sorry I don't understand the question.

I could brainstorm a bit but :) would you kindly explain why I might want to?

Dr Paul Cheney characterised his ME CFIDS patients as having low blood pressure / volume and very unlikely to have high blood pressure. Dr. Nancy Klimas quoted in the link seems to agree.

https://www.healthrising.org/treati...onic-fatigue-syndrome-mecfs-and-fibromyalgia/

So since this matches my own experience I am not aware of the situation you describe being typical for ME CFS patients, is this question related to research findings, or is this how it is for you?
It's how it is for me. There are a number of us here. I don't think I had it at the start of my M.E.

@Barry53 have you looked inside the paper mentioned here:

(I found it on scihub)

Since you have an engineering background, you may find this answers some of your questions. Among other things, it includes an equivalent circuit of the sensor.
Just read it - wow!

I've been chipping in with my two-penn'th along the way here, because I am aware that sometimes even very highly qualified people within one knowledge domain may be unaware of quite run-of-the-mill technologies/techniques from a different knowledge domain. And if there is a chance you can maybe help it is - to my mind - wrong to not speak out. But I realise my concerns are totally groundless. This paper makes it very clear Dr. Ron Davis and his colleagues are supremely conversant with microelectronics principles, and moreover, how to apply them very inventively. I am so impressed.

Lots I do not understand in this paper, but I can comprehend the electronics aspects. What a wonderful merger of engineering and clinical biology. :thumbsup:

hmnr asg

@Rose49 I have a question about the donations to OMF. My company matches donations and I went through their policies and this is what it said:
"Eligible organizations fall within three categories: Art, Education, and Hospitals." and "Gifts for hospices or research centers, which are affiliated with an accredited hospital, may be made by making the check payable to the hospital directly, and including Instructions that the gift is to be designated for the hospice or research center."

Is there anyway i can donate money for the research Dr Davis is doing directly to Stanford ? it seems my company doesnt match donations to a place like the OMF.

Also is there an email I can use for making inquiries about donations?

Thanks

H

Last edited:
As is often the case, about 4 pages in, this got into biochemistry and processes that I cannot begin to process.

I do have a question. Mast cell issues seem to be nearly a given in the past couple of years, at least in my experience, as a blanket-cause of countless symptoms. My testing for it wasn't positive at all, though I did start on various antihistamines. Then, I collapsed and ended up in ER and they found very very high histamine (side note: from a blood test, about 7 hours post collapse, i.e., peak worst. And my understanding is that histamine metabolizes so fast in blood that a result that high so long into the attack or whatever it was made it even more significant).

Anyway, my question is—the angle of research discussed here + Naviaux work, the idea that it basically explains our state and symptoms—how or does mast cell issues fit into that picture, if at all?

jess100

@Rose49 I am avidly following this marvellous thread and thank you for all you and Dr Davis are doing to help our community. You are giving us that very rare commodity: hope! I just wish you could both get some more rest, but I know circumstances don't permit.

I have a question for Dr Davis.

In my neck of the woods in SW England, many of us became ill with ME after exposure to organophosphates used in sheep dipping while others of us developed it (some died) after exposure to organochlorines, especially a cocktail of pentochlorophenol, lindane, dieldrin and solvents which was used as a wood preservative in our timber-framed homes.

Does Ron think that the above fit into the science of our disease that he is unravelling, please?

Thank you!

So looking forward to seeing Whitney well!

Best wishes...........and love from across the pond, xxx

C.G.
I
@Rose49 I am avidly following this marvellous thread and thank you for all you and Dr Davis are doing to help our community. You are giving us that very rare commodity: hope! I just wish you could both get some more rest, but I know circumstances don't permit.

I have a question for Dr Davis.

In my neck of the woods in SW England, many of us became ill with ME after exposure to organophosphates used in sheep dipping while others of us developed it (some died) after exposure to organochlorines, especially a cocktail of pentochlorophenol, lindane, dieldrin and solvents which was used as a wood preservative in our timber-framed homes.

Does Ron think that the above fit into the science of our disease that he is unravelling, please?

Thank you!

So looking forward to seeing Whitney well!

Best wishes...........and love from across the pond, xxx

C.G.
I'm very curious about how you determined that the cause of illness in your area was those specific chemicals. This seems like very good information for research and for people in general. If you have the time and energy can you elaborate on the details?

Countrygirl

I

I'm very curious about how you determined that the cause of illness in your area was those specific chemicals. This seems like very good information for research and for people in general. If you have the time and energy can you elaborate on the details?

@jess100 It is well accepted that these chemicals cause a form of ME in humans and animals. There was a huge amount of media coverage back in the 1990s about how the farmers were developing ME after dipping their sheep. They were appallingly treated, refused help, and many committed suicide. The remainder remained ill and lost their farms. It is a well-established cause of ME. It is also how the Countess of Mar became ill. She placed her foot into a welly boot which contained OP sheep dip in the foot. Others became ill by standing in the way of spray from planes that dusted the fields with the chemical. The Telegraph and the Guardian had excellent coverage of the story at the time. Animals too are sick from wearing flea collars as are children who used pesticide shampoos for head lice.

Organochlorines were causing the illness back in 1980s. The London Hazard Centre wrote an excellent book about it which I possess which relates details of cases where some died and the rest remain chronically ill. Timbers were treated with it and homes and people became very sick. In 1986 the organochlorines were withdrawn from the market and some people were paid compensation for the loss of their health.

In my area exposure to OPs is a main cause of ME.

Dr Byron Hyde refers to ME caused by these chemicals as 'Secondary ME' and Dr Sarah Myhill talks about how it is a common finding that in ME ATP production is blocking by OPs.

Last edited:

Countrygirl

@jess100 It is well accepted that these chemicals cause a form of ME in humans and animals. There was a huge amount of media coverage back in the 1990s about how the farmers were developing ME after dipping their sheep. They were appallingly treated, refused help, and many committed suicide. The remainder remained ill and lost their farms. It is a well-established cause of ME. It is also how the Countess of Mar became ill. She placed her foot into a welly boot which contained OP sheep dip in the foot. Others became ill by standing in the way of spray from planes that dusted the fields with the chemical. The Telegraph and the Guardian had excellent coverage of the story at the time. Animals too are sick from wearing flea collars as are children who used pesticide shampoos for head lice.

Organochlorines were causing the illness back in 1980s. The London Hazard Centre wrote an excellent book about it which I possess which relates details of cases where some died and the rest remain chronically ill. Timbers were treated with it and homes and people became very sick. In 1986 the organochlorines were withdrawn from the market and some people were paid compensation for the loss of their health.

In my area exposure to OPs is a main cause of ME.

Dr Byron Hyde refers to ME caused by these chemicals as 'Secondary ME' and Dr Sarah Myhill talks about how it is a common finding that in ME ATP production is blocking by OPs.

You may be interested in this short video which goes a short introduction to the subject of ME, Sheep-dip flu (OP poisoning), and GWS.

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
You may be interested in this short video which goes a short introduction to the subject of ME, Sheep-dip flu (OP poisoning), and GWS.

Odd that acetyl-l-carnitine is a CFS recommended supplement if this video is true, it raises acetylcholine levels. And i know someone on Aricept, no CFS and its not a listed side effect either, if it was causing CFS it would have been noticed considering how many people are taking it.

Jon_Tradicionali

Alone & Wandering
Odd that acetyl-l-carnitine is a CFS recommended supplement if this video is true, it raises acetylcholine levels. And i know someone on Aricept, no CFS and its not a listed side effect either, if it was causing CFS it would have been noticed considering how many people are taking it.

CFS patients autoantibodies to choline receptors. Proven in studies if you care to pubmed.

aCH resistance may be more appropriate than excessive aCH.