• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is this normal for CFS?

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
One of the many symptoms is that when i do something like lifting a bag of potatoes i can feel not just the energy draining but my brain fog getting worse, as if someone is injecting vinegar into my brain (it actually burns a bit as well as blanking out my consciousness).

I suffer from limited upper strength. Before getting ill I was able to shovel 9mT of gravel and hardcore by hand from tote bags in an afternoon. Now I can't hold a shopping basket. I now just avoid lifting anything more than 2kg and under that weight limit the time I'm carrying it to 5 minutes. I find that distributing weight with a backpack or similar helps a lot, but this is still for limited times. I have learnt that lifting and carrying weights makes me crash far easier than anything else (walking for example)

Ive theorised that this is down to explosive contraction of relatively smaller muscle groups (as oppose to walking with your legs which use larger muscles and is only explosive when you run....I never run). I've assumed that the muscles in the arm have to work much harder relatively to the leg muscles and so drain energy quicker. My PEM happens the next day regardless of whether it's activity from arms or legs though?

SuzieSam

Yes, me too! It's horrible. Just lifting a heavy pan up can do this to me. You described it perfectly. Just yesterday, I had the energy to cook something, but the thought of getting the pan out the oven made me wince at how it would feel not just in my body, but in my head.

One of the many symptoms is that when i do something like lifting a bag of potatoes i can feel not just the energy draining but my brain fog getting worse, as if someone is injecting vinegar into my brain (it actually burns a bit as well as blanking out my consciousness).
Abnormal lactic acid production from the muscles, resulting in elevated levels in the CSF and brain?

Seven7

Seven
Finally somebody that feels the same. Sorry to hear that. In my case I don't think is lattice acid, because I feel very burning like is acid reflux but in the brain. I particularly think it is csf leak.

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
Yes, me too! It's horrible. Just lifting a heavy pan up can do this to me. You described it perfectly.
Thanks, i struggle to explain things so by spending many hours finding words i can sometimes make it understandable

Just yesterday, I had the energy to cook something, but the thought of getting the pan out the oven made me wince at how it would feel not just in my body, but in my head.
I thought that was just me, i think the same way, i think more about the energy required then the task and avoid accordingly

SuzieSam

i think the same way, i think more about the energy required then the task and avoid accordingly

Exactly! I totally exhausted myself cooking a lovely meal for my family on Thursday night. I knew I'd be wiped for a couple of days, but that's the devil's bargain I chose to make.

My kids and husband felt cared for and got some nourishing food. I got satisfaction of a job well done and pride in myself. And 2 days stuck in bed. Worth it! Not cooking again for a while, though...

But DAMN! EVERYTHING is a matter of evaluating energy expenditure (mental and physical) against consequences. Even being on Phoenix Rising for 10 minutes! Jeeeeez.