• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A New Hormone Found?

Paralee

It's called asprosin, it was on the news tonite, but I did a search and found an article from last March, I think. Anyway, it's got to do with glucose and possibly weight gain and loss, and diabetes. The article said it's on the gene B3GALT6.

I looked to see if it has been brought up already on PR, and nothing pulled up just like it. Sorry if it's already been discussed and "old hat".

Edit: sorry, meant to @Valentijn on this one.

Last edited:

Gondwanaland

It's called asprosin
Very interesting, thanks for posting!
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27087445
Cell. 2016 Apr 21;165(3):566-79. doi: 10.1016/j.cell.2016.02.063. Epub 2016 Apr 14.
Asprosin, a Fasting-Induced Glucogenic Protein Hormone.

Abstract
Hepatic glucose release into the circulation is vital for brain function and survival during periods of fasting and is modulated by an array of hormones that precisely regulate plasma glucose levels. We have identified a fasting-induced protein hormone that modulates hepatic glucose release. It is the C-terminal cleavage product of profibrillin, and we name it Asprosin. Asprosin is secreted by white adipose, circulates at nanomolar levels, and is recruited to the liver, where it activates the G protein-cAMP-PKA pathway, resulting in rapid glucose release into the circulation. Humans and mice with insulin resistance show pathologically elevated plasma asprosin, and its loss of function via immunologic or genetic means has a profound glucose- and insulin-lowering effect secondary to reduced hepatic glucose release. Asprosin represents a glucogenic protein hormone, and therapeutically targeting it may be beneficial in type II diabetes and metabolic syndrome.

Paralee

I just wonder if it might have something to do with me not wanting to eat, that's the way it was presented on the news to begin with, then went into the other possibilities.

alex3619

Back when I was looking into the biochem that might be related to ME and CFS I discovered that new hormones are found on a regular basis. I have no idea if its that prevalent now. There are lots of subtle changes that can be made to hormones that alter their characteristics. Back then most of the new hormones discovered were eicosanoids. Eicosanoids are very short range hormones, targeting nearby cells. Asprosin appears to have long range effects, targeting the liver.

arewenearlythereyet

I wish I had something that made we want to eat less.....put on 2 stone since I stopped moving.

If this hormone is faulty with people with CFS/ME though wouldn't this show up in abnormal blood glucose levels?

Perhaps I skim read it wrong?